SSC conducts CHSL (Combined Higher Secondary Level) exam every year for the appointment of various clerical posts in the various central government departments.
Selection process includes three steps:
- 1st Step: Tier-1 Written Exam (Objective Type) (200 Marks) (Online Mode)
- 2nd Step: Tier-2 Written Exam (Descriptive Type) (100 Marks) (Offline Mode)
- 3rd Step: Tier-3 Skill Test / Typing Test (candidates who qualify the tier-2 exam will be called for Skill Test / Typing Test)
- Exam is objective type and will be conducted online.
- There will be 4 parts in a question paper namely (Part-1) General Intelligence, (Part-2) English Language, (Part-3) Quantitative Aptitude, and (Part-4) General Awareness / General Knowledge.
- Exam will have 100 questions for 200 marks.
- Duration of the exam is 75 Minutes.
- Questions will be set both in English & Hindi for parts: 1, 3 & 4.
- There will be negative marking of 0.50 marks for each wrong answer.
Syllabus for Tier 1 Exam
Part-1: General Intelligence
It would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal type:
Symbolic/Number Classification, Figural Analogy, Semantic Analogy, Symbolic operations, Punched hole/pattern-folding & unfolding, Symbolic/Number Analogy, Drawing inference, Number Series, Semantic Trends, Figural Series Space Orientation, Semantic classification, Emotional Intelligence, Critical Thinking, Figural Classification, Venn Diagrams, Series, Word Building, Figural Pattern – folding and completion, Embedded figures, Problem Solving, Social Intelligence, Coding and de-coding, Other numerical operations
Part-2: English Language
Comprehension Passage, Spellings/ Detecting Mis-spelt words, Fill in the Blanks, Spot the Error, Antonyms, Synonyms/Homonyms Idioms & Phrases, One word substitution, Improvement of Sentences, Active/Passive Voice of Verbs, Shuffling of Sentences in a passage, Conversion into Direct/Indirect narration, Shuffling of Sentence parts, Cloze Passage
Part-3: Quantitative Aptitude
Fundamental arithmetical operations: Percentages, Ratio and Proportion, Square roots, Averages, Interest (Simple and Compound), Profit and Loss, Discount, Partnership Business, Mixture and Allegation, Time and distance, Time and work.
Number Systems: Computation of Whole Number, Decimal and Fractions, Relationship.
Graphs of Linear Equations between numbers.
Algebra: Basic algebraic identities of School Algebra and Elementary surds (simple problems).
Mensuration: Triangle, Quadrilaterals, Regular Polygons, Circle, Right Prism, Right Circular Cone, Right Circular Cylinder, Sphere, Hemispheres, Rectangular Parallelepiped, Regular Right Pyramid with triangular or square Base.
Statistical Charts: Use of Tables and Graphs: Histogram, Frequency polygon, Bar- diagram, Pie-chart.
Geometry: Familiarity with elementary geometric figures and facts: Triangle and its various kinds of centres, Congruence and similarity of triangles, Circle and its chords, tangents, angles subtended by chords of a circle, common tangents to two or more circles.
Trigonometry: Trigonometry, Trigonometric ratios, Complementary angles, Height and distances (simple problems only) Standard Identities.
Part-4: General Awareness
Questions are designed to test the candidate’s general awareness about the environment around and its application to society. Questions are also designed to test knowledge of current events.
The test will also include questions related to India and its neighbouring countries especially pertaining to History, Culture, Geography, Economic, General Policy and scientific research.
- Exam is descriptive type and will be conducted offline (pen & paper mode).
- Candidates need to write essay / précis / letters / application writing etc.
- Exam carries 100 marks and exam duration will be 1 hour.
- Exam will have to be written either in Hindi or in English.
- Typing Test: Candidates, who are opting English typing, should have typing speed of 35 words per minute and those candidates who are opting Hindi typing should have typing speed of 30 words per minute. Typing test will be applicable for Postal Assistant/Sorting Assistant, LDC and Court Clerk posts.
- Skill Test: Data Entry Speed of 8,000 key depressions per hour on computer. Skill test will be applicable only for Data Entry Operator post.