A Bank Probationary Officer (PO) in the bank is the starting level appointment for bank officers and the promotional prospects are quite healthy with the work as it defining the limit for the candidate’s success.
Since candidates join the bank at a junior level, they are being called Probationary Officer (PO) during the probation period (need to work as an entry-level job inside the bank for two years) and later they will be promoted as an assistant manager.
The bank assistant manager works closely with the bank manager to ensure that all the processes and services a bank offers runs smoothly. He assists in directing and managing the tellers’ and loan officers’ jobs. He makes daily schedules and duties as well as trains the newly hired employees with the using of the machines and the like.
A bank assistant manager is just as responsible as the bank manager for the overall success or failure a bank faces. He is responsible in assisting the bank manager in training all the bank employees to do their job well. They help in budgeting of the banks expenses and help create a fool-proof daily routine that the employees can follow. Bank assistant managers help the bank manager in a lot of his duties and tasks.
Roles and Responsibilities
While on job, here are some of the important responsibilities of probationary officer (or Assistant Manager) in banks.
- The primary duty is to assist and support thebank managerin operating the bank functions.
- He or she has to oversee the functions of the bank that if they are running smoothly and manage the trivial things without bothering manager.
- He or she has the duty to takecareof hiring new employees when needed and arranging their training for their development.
- He or she also has to takecareof the customers so has to help and solve customer concerns and queries
- He or she has also to look into the matter of marketing of the policies of the bank.
- He or she has to prepare thereportsabout the performance of the bank for showing to the manager.
- He or she will be responsible for all the duties and functions in the absenceof manager.
- It will be the duty to motivate the employees after evaluating their performance
- He or she has to take part actively in the meetings regarding sanctioning of loans and other financial decisions of the bank.
All banks rely on customers for their business. So servicing the customer is the foremost necessity for an officer by giving them the information they asked.
You, as a “PO” will be asked to look into customers coming for opening new accounts, ATM cards, deposits, receipts, loans, cheque books etc.,
Bring New Business
Since you are dealing with customers directly, it is naturally expected of you to promote various products of the bank & its partners to them. It may include fixed deposits, insurance policies, mutual funds, credit cards etc.,
Cash disbursal & collection from cashiers are normally done through the counters manned by clerks.
Although a clerk performs most cash transactions, some payments by way of cheque, DD, NEFT/ RTGS beyond a certain amount need to be authorized & cleared only by a person of officer cadre.
With the introduction of core banking solutions, all the work done in a dayshould be properly closed to avoid any mismatch. While every employee has some day-end work, PO`s would be assigned to generate reports which may include the deposits, withdrawals, ledger balances etc.,
Just like in any MNC or IT company, all employees receive numerous emails which could be related to new rules or schemes or products. A probationary officer may be asked to keep a track of these latest developments to improve their product knowledge as they will be interacting with customers more.
The manager could also ask you to send official replies or letters to other departments for want of information or provide them with required info. So PO’s are required to be well versed in all the branch activities because on promotion, they will be elevated to the cadre of ‘Branch Manager’.
The education and qualifications ofa bank financial manager are:
- The basic degree required for the job is a bachelor’s degree in finance, economics andaccounting
- An MBAdegree is necessary for quick growth in the banking sector
- The candidate will get distinct advantage of the past working experience in different levels of the banking sector
Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications required to bea bankassistant manager are as follows:
- The candidate should have thorough and deep knowledge in the finance,accountingand economics
- He or she should beawareof all financial rules and regulations of the government
- He or she should be able to mange the employees so should have exceptional leadership and motivational skills
- He or she should be able to resolve the quires and customer concerns in short , should have extraordinary customer service skills
- He or she should be able to maintain the confidentiality so must be honest regarding the financial dealings of the bank
- He or she should be a good communicator both verbally and written so should have excellent communication skills with the negotiation skills as well.
- He or she should have team working skills so will be able to work as a part of a team.
What is the Salary of Bank PO?
While the pay scale for PO (scale I) ranges betweenRs.35 000 – 50700,the actual salary could be approx.Rs. 50,000 – 60,000 / month(including allowances) depending on your location.