Important Date, Eligibility, Post and Vacancy Details, Pay Scale, How to apply and Link to apply for IBPS PO Recruitment – Complete Details Here
Advanced Grammar rule – Articles
Advanced Grammar rule - Articles
“A, an and the” are called Articles. There are two kinds of articles
(I) Indefinite article—A/An
(II) Definite article—The
Use of Indefinite Article–A/An
The article An is used before a word beginning with a vowel sound. eg,
- She is an intelligent girl.
- He is an MP.
- You are an honest man.
The article A is used before a word beginning with a consonant sound. eg,
- He is a university student.
- He is a European.
- He is a one-eyed man
A/An is used before a singular countable noun when it is mentioned for the first time representing no particular person or thing. eg,
- He has an axe.
- She is a lawyer.
- A boy came to my office.
A/An is used to make a common noun of a proper noun. eg,
- My neighbour is a Daniel.
- She is a Lata Mangeshkar.
- His brother is a Shylock.
A/An is used in exclamations before singular countable nouns. eg,
- What an interesting movie
- What a pretty girl
- What a lovely morning
A/An is used in its original sense of one or any. eg,
- She wants a car.
- There are twelve inches in a foot.
- He bought a book.
Use of Definite Article —The
- Give me the book which you bought yesterday.
- The dress you want is out of stock.
- I met a girl. The girl was beautiful.
- The lotus is a beautiful flower.
- The cat loves comfort.
- The banyan is a useful tree.
- The Bharat of Ramayana is an ideal brother.
- The gold of India is famous.
- She likes the sweets of Jaipur.
- The Alps
- The Himalayas
- The Vindhyas
- The Andamans
- The Hebrides
- The West Indies
- The Ganges, The Amazon, The Nile
- The Arabian Sea, The Pacific Ocean, The Indian Ocean, The Persian Gulf, The Gulf of Mexico, The Sahara, The Black Forest
- He can play the guitar.
- She is fond of playing on the piano.
- We gave her a harmonium.
- I have bought a violin.
- Honesty is the best policy.
- She is the tallest girl in the class.
- The rose is the sweetest of all flowers.
- She is the prettier of the two sisters.
- He is the stronger of the two
Omission of Articles
The articles a, an, the are omitted
Before names of days and months. eg,
- She will go on Monday.
- They are getting married in January.
Before names of languages. eg,
- He cannot speak French.
- She is learning Marathi.
Before names of subjects. eg,
- She has no interest in mathematics.
- Biology is his favourite subject.
Before names of diseases. eg,
- AIDS is spreading like wild fire.
- He died of cancer.
But ‘The’ is used before the names of a few diseases. eg, the measles, the plague, the gout, the mumps.
Before names of festivals and seasons. Eg,
- He will go to Canada in winter.
- She celebrated Christmas with her friends.
- He will go to Canada during winter.
- She went to Delhi during Diwali holidays.
Before names of sports. eg,
- She plays tennis.
- We like cricket.
Before the names of persons, villages, cities, districts, states and countries. eg,
- Anjali is a beautiful girl.
- London is a big city.
- Paris is the capital of France.
Before names of meals. eg,
- They take lunch at 2 pm.
- Breakfast is ready.
‘A’ is used when there is an adjective before names of meals. We use ‘the’ when we specify. eg,
- We had a late breakfast today.
- The lunch I had at the Rajmahal was nice.
After possessive adjectives (my, our, your, his, her, their, its) and nouns in possessive case (Ram’s, lion’s). eg,
- This is Rahul’s car.
- That is my book.
Before school, college, church, prison, hospital, bed, market, when these places are visited or used for their primary purpose. eg,
- She goes to church on Sunday.
- The criminal was sent to prison.
- I go to bed at 10 pm.
Before man, life, death, art, science, when these words are used in the widest sense. eg,
- Man is mortal.
- Science has developed much in the past fifty years.
Before the nouns used after rank of / title of. eg,
- He was promoted to the rank of Colonel.
- He was given the title of Nawab.
SSC Constable Selection Procedure Computer Based Exam (CBE), Physical Efficiency / Physical Standard Test (PST) and Medical Test Pattern & Syllabus pdf
IBPS PO Exam Pattern, Prelims Syllabus, How to crack Exam Penalty for Wrong Answers?
SBI Circle based Officer Recruitment – Apply Now Share on facebook Share on whatsapp Share on twitter Share on telegram Share on linkedin Share on email The State Bank of India has released the notification for the recruitment of Circle Based Officers or SBI CBO 2020 @sbi.co.in There are a total of 3850 vacancies for SBI
Take part in 90 Online Mock Exams for TNPSC Group 1, 2/2A Exams 2020. Win State Govt Officer Job – utilize the COVID-19 Situation and start to prepare at your home.