Daily Current Affairs – June 01, 2023
Daily Current Affairs - Banking - June 01, 2023
Dear Banking Aspirants,
Prepare for the Daily Current Affairs with Veranda Race who is the pioneer in the Banking Exam Coaching. Current Affairs section is one of the important Scoring section in the Mains of many Banking Exams like SBI PO, SBI CLERK, IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, IBPS RRB PO, IBPS RRB CLERK and multiple Insurance Exams.
Veranda Race is committed to provide Daily Current Affairs for all the days for the students who are preparing for Banking & Insurance Exams.
Check Daily for the Daily Current Affairs and also for the Quizzes to prepare for the upcoming Banking & Insurance Exams in 2023.
Download – LEGEND Monthly Current Affairs Magazine
‘Per Drop More Crop’ plan
- A National Workshop on “Per Drop More Crop (PDMC)” was organised by Department of Agriculture& Farmers Welfare (DA&FW), Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, Government of India discussed various effective measures and approaches to micro irrigation in the country.
- Recognising the need of PDMC, the stakeholders brainstormed as to how to efficiently use water for different agricultural purposes.
- In the wake of continuous reduction in the water sources, it has become essential to judiciously use water resources.
- In the workshop, a few measures did come up, which were focussed to be adopted for increasing penetration of micro irrigation in various parts of the country.
- The participants emphasized on adoption of technologies in implementation of the programmes and focused on approaches for enhancing micro-irrigation coverage.
- They emphasized a few measures to increase overall efficiency and water productivity of agriculture for ensuring food and nutrition security of the country and incomes of the farmers, particularly in rainfed areas.
- It was also informed that Department of Agriculture, Farmers Welfare (DA&FW) is implementing this centrally sponsored scheme of Per Drop More Crop from 2015-16 in all the states, which focuses on enhancing water use efficiency at farm level through Micro Irrigation like ‘Drip and Sprinkler irrigation systems’.
- The participants were informed by the government that an area of 78 lakh hectare has been covered under micro Irrigation from 2015-16 to till date, which is about 81% more than the area covered during pre-PDMC 8 years.
- The Government of India has been focusing on increasing water productivity in agriculture and thereby sustainable agriculture and incomes of farmers.
- A Micro Irrigation Fund (MIF) with a corpus of Rs. 5000 crores has been created with NABARD during 2018-19 with major objective to facilitate the states in mobilizing the resources to provide top up or additional incentives to farmers for incentivising micro irrigation beyond the provisions available under Per Drop More Crop as well as innovative integrated projects including projects in the Public Private Partnership (PPP) for expanding micro-irrigation.
- During the programme, five Best Gram Panchayats from states of Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu were recognised for their efforts in high micro-irrigation adoption and best practices in water management sector.
- The workshop had participants from various ministries and departments of Central Government, states and UT’s, irrigation industries, startups working in water management sector and farmers producer organizations.
- Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare – Narendra Singh Tomar,Cabinet Minister (Morena,UP) – Shobha Karandlaje,Minister of State (Udupi Chikmagalur,Karnataka), Kailash Choudhary, Minister of State (Barmer,Rajasthan)
Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya inaugurated National Training Centre for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India
- Dr Mansukh Mandaviya inaugurated the state-of-the-art National Training Centre for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) at Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh.
- The National Training Centre of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) at Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh is an essential initiative aimed at providing structured instruction, practice, and learning experiences to bridge the gap between existing knowledge or skills and desired knowledge or skills in the field of food safety and standards.
- As mandated by the FSS Act 2006 and the Food Safety and Standards Rules, 2011, FSSAI is responsible for providing training to individuals involved in food businesses, including food business operators, employees, Food Safety Officers, and designated officers.
- Recognizing the importance of continuous skill upgrading for officials, food business operators, and other stakeholders, FSSAI has established the National Training Centre to offer various training programs.
- This dedicated center fills the void that previously existed, ensuring the development of a future-ready workforce committed to ensuring safe and wholesome food for the citizens of India.
- On this occasion, an e- learning app- Food Safety and Certification (FoSTaC) developed by FSSAI that contains learning and training modules about food safety guidelines, such as proper food handling, storage, and hygiene practices etc., for street vendors was also launched.
- Dr. Mandaviya also released two books developed by FSSAI – Millets (Shree Anna) Recipes- A Healthy Menu for Mess/Canteens and Healthy Gut, Healthy You – Traditional recipes with potential probiotic benefits.
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare – Mansukh Laxmanbhai Mandaviya,Union Minister (Rajya Sabha MP,Gujarat) – Dr. Bharati Pravin Pawar,Minister of State (Dindori,Maharashtra)
India, Bahrain held 6th round of foreign office consultations
- Ausaf Sayeed, secretary (CPV & OIA), Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) co-chaired the 6th Foreign Office Consultations (FOC) with Bahrain and both sides noted the growth of bilateral trade and economic collaboration with bilateral trade reaching close to USD 2 billion in FY 2022-23, according to the statement released by MEA. Sayeed, who is on a 3-day visit to Bahrain, co-chaired the 6th FOC with Mohamed Ali Bahzad, Undersecretary (Consular Affairs), MoFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) Bahrain.
- Bahrain – Manama (Capital) – Bahraini dinar (Currency) – Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa (King) – Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa (Crown Prince and Prime Minister) – Arabic (Language)
PM Modi, Nepal counterpart Dahal jointly flagged off cargo train from Bathnaha to Nepal
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Nepal’s counterpart Pushpa Kamal Dahal ‘Prachanda’ jointly unveiled the e-plaque of the Kurtha-Bijalpura section of the Railway.
- Both leaders jointly flag off the Indian Railway cargo train from Bathnaha in Bihar to Nepal Custom yard.
- PM Modi and Dahal jointly inaugurated the integrated check posts at Rupaidiha in India and Nepalgunj in Nepal, built with India’s assistance.
- The two leaders also unveiled the integrated check posts at Sanauli in India and Bhairahawa in Nepal.
- Nepal – Kathmandu (Capital) – Nepalese rupee (Currency) – Ram Chandra Poudel (President) – Pushpa Kamal Dahal (Prime Minister) – Nepali (Language)
Himachal Pradesh CM dedicated development projects worth Rs 43.34 crore in Fatehpur
- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu dedicated development projects worth Rs 43.34 crores in Fatehpur constituency in the state.
- The development projects included the Rehan police post upgradation and a State-of-Art cow sanctuary in Fatehpur for which the Chief Minister announced Rs 5 crores.
- Himachal Pradesh – Shimla (Summer), Dharamshala (Winter) (Capital) – Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu (CM) – Shiv Pratap Shukla (Governor) –Hindi (Language)
Business and Economy
GDP grows 6.1% in March quarter, 7.2% in FY23
- India’s economy grew 6.1 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2022-23, pushing up the annual growth rate to 7.2 per cent.
- Growth in the January-March period was higher than the 4.5 per cent expansion in the previous October-December quarter of 2022-23.
- The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) had expanded by 4 per cent in the January-March period of 2021-22, according to data released by the National Statistical Office (NSO).
- As per the data, the economy expanded 7.2 per cent in 2022-23 against a 9.1 per cent growth in 2021-22.
- The NSO in its second advance estimate of national accounts had pegged the country’s growth at 7 per cent for 2022-23.
- China has registered an economic growth of 4.5 per cent in the first three months of 2023.
- National Statistical Commission – 12/07/2006 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Rajeeva Laxman Karandikar (Chairman)
India growth may exceed initial estimate of 6.5% in FY'24: CEA
- Enthused by higher than expected GDP number in the fourth quarter of 2022-23, Chief Economic Adviser (CEA) V Anantha Nageswaran said India’s economic growth may exceed the initial estimate of 6.5 per cent in the current fiscal and the country can look for another year of solid economic performance.
- The real GDP growth for 2022-23 is higher compared to the growth projections by various international agencies, reflecting the strong resilience of the Indian economy.
- India’s economy grew by 6.1 per cent in the January-March quarter of 2022-23, pushing the annual growth rate to 7.2 per cent on account of better performance by agriculture, manufacturing, mining and construction sectors.
J.P.Morgan hiked India's FY24 GDP forecast to 5.5%
- J.P.Morgan raised its forecast for India’s annual growth by 50 basis points to 5.5% for fiscal 2024, but warned that a global economic slowdown and tighter financial conditions will still drag the economy.
- The economy also grew at a better-than-expected 7.2% for fiscal 2023.
India's economy likely to grow in 6.5-6.7% range in FY'24: CII President R Dinesh
- Industry body CII said India’s economy is expected to grow in the range of 6.5-6.7 per cent in the current financial year supported by strong domestic drivers and robust capex momentum of the government.
- India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) grew by 6.1 per cent in the March quarter of 2022-23, pushing the annual growth rate to 7.2 per cent.
- The growth has propelled the country’s economy to USD 3.3 trillion, setting the stage for achieving the USD 5 trillion target in the next few years.
- Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) – 1895 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – R Dinesh (President)
Science and Technology
Government launched Electronics Repair Services Outsourcing to make India Repair Capital of the World
- In line with the vision of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to make India a global electronics powerhouse, Government launched Electronics Repair Services Outsourcing ERSO Pilot initiative to validate certain transformational policy and process changes to make India the Repair Capital of the World.
- Demonstrating true commitment to the growth of Industry, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs, Directorate General of Foreign Trade, and Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change converged with industry to effect transformational policy and process changes that would make India the most attractive repair destination for ICT products globally.
- Over the next five years, India’s ERSO industry is likely to fetch India an upto 20 billion dollars in revenue and also generate millions of jobs.
Thermal power plants capacity utilisation projected to improve to 65.1 pc in FY24: Icra
- India’s total plant load factor (PLF) or capacity utilisation of thermal plants is expected to rise to 65.1 per cent this fiscal over 64.2 per cent in the preceding financial year (FY) 2022-23, according to Icra.
- In its latest report, Icra projected the all-India thermal PLF level to improve to 65.1 per cent in FY2024 led by the growth in electricity demand and limited thermal capacity addition.
Non-fossil fuel-based power generation capacity to be 68.4 pc by 2031-32: Government
- India’s non-fossil fuel-based power generation capacity is likely to increase to 68.4 per cent of the total installed capacity in 2031-32 from 42.5 per cent at present as per the National Electricity Plan (NEP) unveiled by the power ministry.
- This assumes significance in view of India’s target of net zero by 2070 and having 500GW of renewable energy by 2030.
- The NEP envisages that the share of non-fossil-based capacity is likely to increase to 57.4 per cent by the end of 2026-27 and may likely to further increase to 68.4 per cent by the end of 2031-32 from around 42.5 per cent as on April’2023.
- According to the statement, the Central Electricity Authority (CEA) has notified the National Electricity Plan (NEP) (Vol-I Generation) for the period of 2022-32.
- The plan document, which was released (Wednesday) via e-Gazette, includes a review of the last five years (2017-22), a detailed plan for the next five years (2022-27) and the prospective plan for the next five years (2027-32).
NTPC Green Energy, UP Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam will develop green energy parks
- NTPC Green Energy Ltd (NGEL) subsidiary of NTPC Ltd has signed an agreement with the Uttar Pradesh Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Limited (UPRVUNL) for the development of renewable energy parks in the state.
- To collaborate in the development of renewable energy parks and projects and facilitate the government’s efforts towards energy transition, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between NGEL and UPRVUNL on May 31, 2023 at Lucknow.
- The MoU was signed between NGEL CEO Mohit Bhargava and Director Finance Nidhi Kumar Narang UPRVUNL in presence of UPRVUNL MD P Guruprasad and other officials.
- NTPC Limited (National Thermal Power Corporation Limited) – 07/11/1975 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Gurdeep Singh (Chairman & MD)
Ajay Yadav appointed Managing Director, Solar Energy Corporation of India Limited
- Shri Ajay Yadav, a 2005 batch IAS officer of the Bihar cadre has assumed the charge of Managing Director, Solar Energy Corporation of India Limited (SECI).
- Solar Energy Corporation of India Limited (SECI) is a Miniratna Category-I Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE) incorporated in the year 2011, SECI is the primary implementing agency of the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Govt. of India for Renewable Energy schemes/projects towards fulfilment of India’s international commitments.
- Till date, SECI has awarded Renewable Energy (RE) project capacities of over 58 GW.
- Solar Energy Corporation of India Ltd. (SECI) – 09/09/2011 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Ajay Yadav (MD) – Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (Under)
Amarendu Prakash took over as SAIL Chairman
- Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL) said Amarendu Prakash assumed the charge as the company’s Chairman.
- He succeeded Soma Mondal, who retired from the post on April 30, 2023.
- Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL) – 19/01/1954 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Amarendu Prakash (Chairman)
Air Marshal Rajesh Kumar Anand taken over as Air Officer-in-Charge Administration
- Air Marshal Rajesh Kumar Anand, Vishisht Seva Medal took over as Air Officer-in-Charge Administration (AOA) informed Ministry of Defence.
- Air Marshal Rajesh Kumar Anand is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy and was commissioned in the Administrative Branch of the Indian Air Force as an Air Traffic Controller on June 13, 1987.
- Indian Air Force (IAF) – 26/01/1950 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Airforce Day (October 08) – Air Chief Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari (Chief of Air Staff) – ‘Touch the sky with Glory’ (Motto)
Awards and Recognitions
33 gallantry and distinguished service awards conferred at Naval Investiture Ceremony 2023 for Eastern Naval Command
- The Naval Investiture Ceremony, 2023 for the Eastern Naval Command (ENC) was held in Visakhapatnam.
- Chief Admiral R Hari Kumar conferred thirty-three gallantry and distinguished service awards during the Naval Investiture Ceremony.
- LA(AH) Vineet Kumar and Commodore Nishant Singh (Posthumous) were conferred with the Nau Sena Medal (Gallantry).
- The investiture ceremony also saw the presentation of sixteen Vishisht Seva Medals, two Jeevan Raksha Padaks, and thirteen Nau Sena Medals for Devotion to Duty.
- In addition to these awards, the Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS) also presented the Lt VK Jain Memorial Gold Medal for pioneering research in the field of Weapon Improvement and Electrical Engineering, as well as the Captain Ravi Dhir Memorial Gold Medal for promoting Flight Safety.
- The CNS Trophy for Best Green Practice 2023 was awarded to Naval Dockyard, Visakhapatnam and INS Tunir in the Industrial and non-industrial categories respectively.
- The CNS also awarded Unit Citations to operational units and shore establishments for their outstanding performances last year.
- Indian naval vessels Betwa, Satpura, Sutlej and Nireekshak, Kalvari class submarine INS Karanj along with INAS 321 FSS and INAS 318 received the Unit Citation.
- In the shore establishment category, the awardees were INS India, Tanaji and Valsura, and Material Organisation (Visakhapatnam).
- Indian Navy – 26/01/1950 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Navy Day (December 4) – Admiral R. Hari Kumar (Chief of Naval Staff) – ‘May the Lord of Water be auspicious unto us’ (Motto)
World Milk Day
- World Milk Day is annually observed on June 1.
- The day was established by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations to recognize the importance of milk as a global food.
- The day was first observed in 2001.
- Theme – Showcasing how dairy is reducing its environmental footprint, while also providing nutritious foods and livelihoods
Global Day of Parents
- Global Day of Parents is annually observed on June 1.
- In 2012, the General Assembly proclaimed 1 June as the Global Day of Parents.
Defence Ministry approved proposal for resumption of air travel facilities for civilians of Ladakh in Indian Air Force aircraft
- Defence Ministry has approved a proposal of Ladakh Administration seeking resumption of air travel facilities for civilians of the union territory in the Indian Air Force aircrafts.
- He also expressed gratitude to the Defence Ministry on behalf of people of Ladakh for according sanction to request of UT Admininstration for starting the much needed service for people of Ladakh.
- As per the Defence Ministry order, civilians belonging to Ladakh can travel to other parts of the country through three airports namely Leh, Thoise and Kargil.
- Civilian will be provided the facilities to travel against the vacant seats of the aircraft with the payment of airlift charges which would be notified from time to time.
- Ministry of Defence – Rajnath Singh,Union Minister (Lucknow,UP) – Ajay Bhatt,Minister of State (Nainital–Udhamsingh Nagar,Uttarakhand)
Daily Current Affairs - June 01, 2023 - Consolidated
- Per Drop More Crop’ plan
- Mansukh Mandaviya inaugurated National Training Centre for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India
- India, Bahrain held 6th round of foreign office consultations
- PM Modi, Nepal counterpart Dahal jointly flagged off cargo train from Bathnaha to Nepal
- Himachal Pradesh CM dedicated development projects worth Rs 43.34 crore in Fatehpur
- GDP grows 6.1% in March quarter, 7.2% in FY23
- India growth may exceed initial estimate of 6.5% in FY’24: CEA
- J.P.Morgan hiked India’s FY24 GDP forecast to 5.5%
- India’s economy likely to grow in 6.5-6.7% range in FY’24: CII President R Dinesh
- Government launched Electronics Repair Services Outsourcing to make India Repair Capital of the World
- Thermal power plants capacity utilisation projected to improve to 65.1 pc in FY24: Icra
- Non-fossil fuel-based power generation capacity to be 68.4 pc by 2031-32: Government
- NTPC Green Energy, UP Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam will develop green energy parks
- Ajay Yadav appointed Managing Director, Solar Energy Corporation of India Limited
- Amarendu Prakash took over as SAIL Chairman
- Air Marshal Rajesh Kumar Anand taken over as Air Officer-in-Charge Administration
- 33 gallantry and distinguished service awards conferred at Naval Investiture Ceremony 2023 for Eastern Naval Command
- World Milk Day
- Global Day of Parents
- Defence Ministry approved proposal for resumption of air travel facilities for civilians of Ladakh in Indian Air Force aircraft
Do you wish to crack Banking Exams in 2023 ? - Register Now
Take your first step to your DREAM GOVERNMENT JOB
Enquire for Next Batch.