Daily Current Affairs – June 03, 2023
Daily Current Affairs - Banking - June 03, 2023
Dear Banking Aspirants,
Prepare for the Daily Current Affairs with Veranda Race who is the pioneer in the Banking Exam Coaching. Current Affairs section is one of the important Scoring section in the Mains of many Banking Exams like SBI PO, SBI CLERK, IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, IBPS RRB PO, IBPS RRB CLERK and multiple Insurance Exams.
Veranda Race is committed to provide Daily Current Affairs for all the days for the students who are preparing for Banking & Insurance Exams.
Check Daily for the Daily Current Affairs and also for the Quizzes to prepare for the upcoming Banking & Insurance Exams in 2023.
Download – LEGEND Monthly Current Affairs Magazine
88% of wage payments made through Aadhaar Based Payment Bridge System till May: Rural Development Ministry
- The Rural Development Ministry has said that about 88 per cent of the wage payment has been made through Aadhaar Based Payment Bridge System (ABPS) till May this year.
- It said that States will organise camps and follow up with beneficiaries to achieve hundred per cent ABPS.
- The Ministry has made it clear to all the States that the beneficiary who comes for work should be requested to provide the Aadhaar number but will not be refused work on this basis.
- Ministry of Rural Development – Giriraj Singh,Union Minister (Begusarai,Bihar) – Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti,Minister of State (Fatehpur,UP), Faggan Singh Kulaste,Minister of State (Mandla,MP)
1,275 railway stations to be upgraded under Amrit Bharat Station scheme
- The Consultative Committee of Members of Parliament for the Ministry of Railways resolved to upgrade 1,275 railway stations under Amrit Bharat Station.
- The decision was taken at a meeting in New Delhi.
- The Members of Parliament for the Ministry of Railways planned services on Indian Railways with an agenda to cater to services on Indian Railways and induce station development on Indian Railways under the Amrit Bharat Station Scheme.
- Ministry of Railways – Ashwini Vaishnaw,Union Minister (Rajya Sabha MP,Odisha) – Raosaheb Danve,Minister of State (Jalna,Maharashtra) Darshana Jardosh,Minister of State (Surat,Gujarat)
Centre announced new guidelines for granting deemed university status
- The Centre released the revised guidelines for existing higher education institutions to get the deemed to be status by simplifying the eligibility criteria in order to establish more quality-focused deemed universities.
- Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan released the UGC (Institutions Deemed to be Universities) Regulations, 2023, which will replace the 2019 guidelines.
- Higher education institutions which are less than 20 years old will now be eligible to apply for deemed university status and private universities will have to create executive councils like central universities.
- Under the 2019 guidelines, the higher education institutions having ”existence for not less than 20 years” were eligible for applying for the status.
- However, the revised guidelines have now replaced it with multi-disciplinarity, NAAC grading, NIRF ranking and NBA grading.
- It means any multi-disciplinary institution having valid accreditation by NAAC with at least 3.01 cumulative grade point average (CGPA) for three consecutive cycles, NBA accreditation for two-thirds of eligible programmes for three consecutive cycles or in the top 50 of any specific category of NIRF for the last three years continuously will be able to apply for the deemed status.
- Ministry of Education – Dharmendra Pradhan,Union Minister (Rajya Sabha MP,MP) – Subhas Sarkar, Minister of State (Bankura, West Bengal), Annpurna Devi Yadav, Minister of State (Kodarma, Jharkhand), Rajkumar Ranjan Singh, Minister of State (Inner Manipur,Manipur)
India's first luxury train Deccan Queen Express completes 93 years of service
- The iconic Deccan Queen, the first deluxe train of the Indian Railways, completed 93 glorious years of operations between Pune and Mumbai on June 1, according to the Central Railway.
- Rail enthusiasts and authorities celebrated the Deccan Queen’s birthday with a lot of zeal and cut two big cakes at the Pune railway station before the train departed for the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus in Mumbai.
- As per a Central Railway release, the Deccan Queen had its maiden run on June 1, 1930, which was a major landmark in the history of the Great Indian Peninsula (GIP) Railway, the forerunner of the Central Railway.
- Indian Railways – 06/05/1836 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – V.K.Tripathi (Chairman & CEO)
MoS Muraleedharan inaugurated first-ever PIO Malaysia Event
- Minister of State (MoS) for External Affairs, V Muraleedharan, during his Malaysia visit, jointly inaugurated the first-ever PIO Malaysia Event organised by GOPIO Malaysia together with the Minister of Human Resources of Malaysia.
- He also delivered a key-note address at the inaugural session of an International Conference titled ‘India-ASEAN Dynamics in the Emerging Indo-Pacific Order: Pathways to Cooperation beyond the Third Decade’, organised by the High Commission of India in Kuala Lumpur in collaboration with the Centre for ASEAN Regionalism University Malaya (CARUM) and Asia Europe Institute (AEI).
- Malaysia – Kuala Lumpur (Capital) – Ringgit (Currency) – Abdullah (Monarch) – Anwar Ibrahim (Prime Minister) – Malay (Language)
Tata Group will set up Rs 13,000-crore lithium-ion cell unit in Gujarat
- Tata Group will set up a lithium-ion cell manufacturing facility in Gujarat through its subsidiary with an initial capacity of 20 GWh at a cost of Rs 13,000 crore, the Gujarat government.
- Tata Group subsidiary Agratas Energy Storage Solutions Pvt Ltd has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Gujarat government under the new Electronics Policy (2022-28) in this regard.
- In presence of Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the Tata Group and the Government of Gujarat.
- This MoU establishes the foundation for the creation of a gigafactory dedicated to lithium-ion cell manufacturing.
- The MoU was signed by Vijay Nehra, the Secretary of Science and Technology, Government of Gujarat, and Rakesh Ranjan, the CEO of Agratas Energy Storage Solutions Pvt Ltd, a subsidiary of the Tata Group.
- During the signing ceremony, Patel conveyed the complete support of the state government in ensuring the success of this project.
- This factory will be solely dedicated to the manufacturing of lithium-ion cells, a crucial component in the production of EV batteries.
- The plant is likely to reduce dependency on battery cell suppliers from countries like China and South Korea.
- Gujarat – Gandhinagar (Capital) – Bhupendrabhai Patel (CM) – Acharya Devvrat (Governor) – Gujarati & Hindi (Language)
AIIMS Nagpur first AIIMS in country to get NABH accreditation
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) at Nagpur got the certificate of quality in the healthcare sector–Accreditation from National Board for Hospitals (NABH).
- Among all AIIMS in the country, Nagpur became the first to get it.
- National Productivity Council (NPC), New Delhi had shortlisted AIIMS, Nagpur along with 11 other Govt medical institutions in India as a demonstration project for capacity building and handholding support to health care facilities in India.
- Maharashtra – Mumbai (Capital) – Eknath Shinde (CM) – Ramesh Bais (Governor) – Marathi (Language)
YSR Yandra Seva Pathakam scheme
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy flagged off over 2,000 tractors along with other farm machinery worth Rs 361 crore under the government’s subsidised ‘YSR Yandra Seva Pathakam’ scheme.
- Chief Minister also credited government subsidy of Rs 125 crore into the accounts of farmers groups.
- Chief Minister flagged off the distribution of 2,562 tractors, 100 combined harvesters and 13,573 farm machines to the beneficiaries.
- Reddy said all this farm equipment has been provided at a subsidy of 40 per cent, along with 50 per cent from loans and 10 per cent money paid by the farmers’ groups.
- Earlier in the first phase, the state government had provided 3,800 tractors, 391 combined harvesters and 22,580 farm machines worth Rs 691 crore to farmers’ groups under 6,525 Rythu Bharosa Kendras (RBKs) at a subsidy of Rs 241 crore.
- With flagging off, the custom hiring centres in the remaining 3,919 RBKs and 100 clusters have been provided with the necessary equipment.
- According to the Chief Minister, the state has spent Rs 1,052 crore under this scheme for the benefit of farmers.
- Andhra Pradesh – Amaravati (Capital) – Y. S. Jagan Mohan Reddy (CM) – S. Abdul Nazeer (Governor) – Telugu (Language)
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath inaugurated the ‘Matrubhumi Yojna’ with an aim to help people working in cities or abroad to ”reconnect” with their villages, and donate money for development projects, if they so wish.
- Therefore, everyone should be given a chance to participate in the Matrubhumi Yojana.
- Government has currently implemented this scheme in rural areas.
- In November 2021, the Uttar Pradesh Cabinet had approved the proposal for the implementation of ‘Matrubhumi Yojana’ to facilitate individuals or private institutions to contribute to the development of any village.
- Uttar Pradesh – Lucknow (Capital) – Yogi Adityanath (CM) – Anandiben Patel (Governor) – Hindi (Language)
Banking and Finance
RBI announced draft cyber security norms for payment system operators
- In a move to ensure safety and security of digital payments amid emerging cyber risks, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced draft regulations for payment system operators (PSOs).
- It proposed that such norms would be implemented from April 1, 2024, for large non-bank-PSOs.
- For medium-sized non-bank PSOs, the deadline for implementing the regulation will be April 1, 2026, and for smaller ones, it’s April 1, 2028.
- The draft directions issued by the regulator covers robust governance mechanisms for identification, assessment, monitoring, and management of cyber security risks.
- The directions will also cover baseline security measures for ensuring system resiliency as well as safe and secure digital payment transactions.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) – 01/04/1935 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Shaktikanta Das (Governor)
IRDAI picked SBI Life Insurance as suitor for Sahara India’s life insurance biz
- Insurance regulator IRDAI has identified SBI Life Insurance as acquirer insurer of the life insurance business of Sahara India Life Insurance Co Ltd (SILIC).
- SBI Life has been asked to take over the policy liabilities of around two lakh policies of SILIC, backed by the policyholders’ assets, with immediate effect.
- IRDAI has also taken necessary steps to ensure the smooth transition for all policyholders of SILIC.
- A committee comprising of Member (Actuary), Member (Life), and Member (F&I) has been constituted for implementation of the Order in a time-bound manner.
- SBI Life has been directed to take adequate steps to reach out to the policyholders of SILIC, with regard to servicing of policies, including setting up of a dedicated cell to address the queries of the policyholders of SILIC, and also publish necessary details on their website.
- IRDAI will continue to monitor the situation and also issue necessary directions as required in the interest of the policyholders of SILIC.
- SILIC was granted a Certificate of Registration in 2004 to transact the business of life insurance.
- Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) – 1999 (Founded) – Hyderabad (HQ) – Debasish Panda (Chairman) – Ministry of Finance (Under)
RBI imposed Rs 2.2-crore penalty on Indian Overseas Bank
- Reserve Bank of India imposed a penalty of Rs 2.20 crore on state-owned Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) for non-compliance of income recognition and other deficiencies in regulatory compliance.
- The fine is imposed for contravention of the provisions of certain directions issued by RBI on ‘Prudential Norms on Income Recognition, Asset Classification and Provisioning Pertaining to Advances – Divergence in NPA Accounts’, ‘Reserve Bank of India (Interest Rate on Deposits) Directions, 2016’ and Advisory on ‘Man in the Middle (MiTM) Attacks in ATMs’.
- The Chennai-based bank failed to make minimum mandatory transfer of a sum equivalent to 25 per cent of its disclosed profit for the year 2020-21 to its reserve fund.
- Indian Overseas Bank – 10/02/1937 (Founded) – Chennai (HQ) – Ajay Srivastava J (MD & CEO) – “Good people to grow with” (Tagline)
Science and Technology
Unified Registration Portal For GOBARdhan
- The Union Minister for Jal Shakti, Shri Gajendra Singh Shekhawat launched the Unified Registration Portal for GOBARdhan which will act as a one stop repository to assess investment and participation in Biogas/CBG sector at pan India level and more importantly streamline the process of setting up CBG/Biogas plants in India.
- Any government, cooperative or private entity operating or intending to setup a Biogas/CBG/Bio CNG plant in India can obtain a registration number by enrolling in this unified registration portal launched.
- The registration number will enable availing of multitude of benefits and support from the Ministries & Departments of Government of India.
- States have been advised to get their CBG/Biogas plant operators registered on the portal on priority to avail existing and upcoming support from the Union Government.
- Galvanizing Organic Bio-Agro Resources Dhan (GOBARdhan) is a vital umbrella initiative of Government of India, based on the whole of Government approach and aims to convert waste to wealth towards promoting circular economy.
- Government of India intends to build a robust ecosystem for setting up Biogas/Compressed Biogas (CBG)/ Bio-Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) plants to drive sustainable economic growth and promote a circular economy.
- As the nodal department for GOBARdhan, Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS), Ministry of Jal Shakti has developed this portal, which can be accessed at https://gobardhan.co.in.
- The launch was attended, in virtual mode, by Additional Chief Secretaries/Principal Secretaries (In charge of rural sanitation) of all States/UTs and representation of various central Ministries and Departments.
- Ministry of Jal Shakti – Gajendra Singh Shekhawat,Union Minister (Jodhpur,Rajasthan) – Prahlad Singh Patel,Minister of State (Damoh,MP) & Bisweshwar Tudu,Minister of State (Mayurbhanj,Odisha)
Argentina's Celeste Saulo becomes first woman leader of World Meteorological Organization
- Celeste Saulo of Argentina has been appointed as the first female Secretary-General of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
- Saulo has served as the director of Argentina’s National Meteorological Service since 2014.
- The leadership election of the World Meteorological Congress takes place every four years.
- The agency plays a key role in coordinating international meteorological work.
- It relies on satellites and thousands of weather stations to measure key parameters of the atmosphere, land and ocean.
- World Meteorological Organisation(WMO) – 23/03/1950 (Founded) – Geneva, Switzerland (HQ) – Gerhard Adrian (President)
Swaraj Tractors roped MS Dhoni as brand ambassador
- Swaraj Tractors had announced the appointment of Mahendra Singh Dhoni (MS Dhoni) as its official brand ambassador.
- The company aims to reinforce the brand’s commitment to providing innovative and reliable mechanisation solutions to farmers in India through the association.
Janardan Prasad appointed as new DG of Geological Survey of India
- Janardan Prasad has been appointed as the new Director General of the Geological Survey of India (GSI).
- Prasad, who took charge of the 174-year-old institution succeeded Dr S Raju, who held the post since 2020.
- Geological Survey of India (GSI) – 04/03/1851 (Founded) – Kolkata (HQ) – Janardan Prasad (Director General)
Centre extended term of CCI’s Director General Atul Verma by three months
- The Centre approved the extension of the term of CCI’s Director General (DG) Atul Verma by three months.
- The DG is the independent investigation arm of the Competition Commission of India (CCI).
- Verma, a 1991 batch IPS officer of Himachal Pradesh cadre, was appointed as DG at CCI in June 2020 for three years.
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) – 14/10/2003 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Ravneet kaur (Chairperson)
Books and Authors
HarperCollins India to publish BK Shivani 's The Power of One Thought
- Book: The Power of One Thought: Master Your Mind, Master Your Life
- Author: BK Shivani
- Publisher: HarperCollins India
Diamond League: Faith Kipyegon breaks women’s 1500m world record
- Kenya’s Faith Kipyegon set a women’s 1,500 metres world record by clocking 3:49.11. (Minutes)
- Kipyegon shaved almost an entire second off the previous mark of 3:50.07 set by Ethiopia’s Genzebe Dibaba in 2015.
- The world record completes the 29-year-old’s collection of feats, adding to her two Olympic 1,500m golds and the 2017 and 2022 world titles, Commonwealth Games gold medal from 2014 and three Diamond League titles.
- Kenya – Nairobi (Capital) – Kenyan shilling (Currency) – William Ruto (President) – Swahili & English (Language)
David Warner will retire from Tests in January 2024
- Australia opener David Warner will mark an end to his Test career that he will retire from Test cricket during the upcoming Australian summer.
- He would like to finish his Test career at his home ground in Sydney against Pakistan in January 2024.
- Australia – Canberra (Capital) – Australian dollar (Currency) – Charles III (Monarch) – Anthony Albanese (Prime Minister) – English (Language)
World Bicycle Day
- World Bicycle day is annually observed on June 3.
- In April 2018, the United Nations General Assembly declared June 3 as World Bicycle Day.
- First Observed in 2018.
- The day promote the benefits of cycling and raise awareness about the importance of bicycles as a sustainable mode of transportation.
- United Nations General Assembly – 1945 (Founded) – New York City (HQ) – Csaba Kőrösi (President)
Daily Current Affairs - June 03, 2023 - Consolidated
- 88% of wage payments made through Aadhaar Based Payment Bridge System till May: Rural Development Ministry
- 1,275 railway stations to be upgraded under Amrit Bharat Station scheme
- Centre announced new guidelines for granting deemed university status
- India’s first luxury train Deccan Queen Express completes 93 years of service
- MoS Muraleedharan inaugurated first-ever PIO Malaysia Event
- Tata Group will set up Rs 13,000-crore lithium-ion cell unit in Gujarat
- AIIMS Nagpur first AIIMS in country to get NABH accreditation
- YSR Yandra Seva Pathakam scheme
- Matrubhumi Yojna
- RBI announced draft cyber security norms for payment system operators
- IRDAI picked SBI Life Insurance as suitor for Sahara India’s life insurance biz
- RBI imposed Rs 2.2-crore penalty on Indian Overseas Bank
- Unified Registration Portal For GOBARdhan
- Argentina’s Celeste Saulo becomes first woman leader of World Meteorological Organization
- Swaraj Tractors roped MS Dhoni as brand ambassador
- Janardan Prasad appointed as new DG of Geological Survey of India
- Centre extended term of CCI’s Director General Atul Verma by three months
- HarperCollins India to publish BK Shivani ‘s The Power of One Thought
- Diamond League: Faith Kipyegon breaks women’s 1500m world record
- David Warner will retire from Tests in January 2024
- World Bicycle Day
Do you wish to crack Banking Exams in 2023 ? - Register Now
Take your first step to your DREAM GOVERNMENT JOB
Enquire for Next Batch.