Daily Current Affairs – September 15, 2023
Daily Current Affairs - Banking - September 15, 2023
Dear Banking Aspirants,
Prepare for the Daily Current Affairs with Veranda Race who is the pioneer in the Banking Exam Coaching. Current Affairs section is one of the important Scoring section in the Mains of many Banking Exams like SBI PO, SBI CLERK, IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, IBPS RRB PO, IBPS RRB CLERK and multiple Insurance Exams.
Veranda Race is committed to provide Daily Current Affairs for all the days for the students who are preparing for Banking & Insurance Exams.
Check Daily for the Daily Current Affairs and also for the Quizzes to prepare for the upcoming Banking & Insurance Exams in 2023.
Download – LEGEND Monthly Current Affairs Magazine
Top procurer on Government e-Marketplace (GeM)
- The Ministry of Defence had emerged as the leading Ministry among the 56 Ministries/Departments participating in the Government eMarketplace (GeM), holding the top position in both order value and order quantity.
- Since its inception, the Ministry has contributed significantly to the Gross Merchandise Value (GMV) of GeM, which has reached an impressive Rs. 73,225.30 Crores as of 12 September 2023.
- In the current financial year, the procurement through GeM has already reached an impressive Rs. 18,790.60 Crores as of 12 September 2023.
- The order value of the Ministry in fiscal year 2022-23 was Rs, 28,732.90 Crores, while it amounted to Rs 15,091.30 Crores in the fiscal year 2021-22.
- Under the aegis of the Department of Defence Production, the Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs) had sold Goods and Services worth Rs. 2,642.66 Crores on GeM in FY 2022-23.
- The significant milestone of procuring goods and services worth over Rs. 18,000 Crores, underscores an outstanding average daily order value of Rs 109 Crores in the current financial year.
- The remarkable achievement in the current fiscal results from the active participation of more than 19,800 buyers across the country, collectively placing over 3 lakh orders.
- Ministry of Defence – Rajnath Singh,Union Minister (Lucknow,UP) – Ajay Bhatt,Minister of State (Nainital–Udhamsingh Nagar,Uttarakhand)
Second Edition of ICAR-CIBA’s Shrimp Farmers Conclave-2023
- Union Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Shri Parshottam Rupala inaugurated Second Edition of ICAR-CIBA’s (ICAR-Central Institute of Brackish water Aquaculture) Shrimp Farmers Conclave-2023 at the Navsari Agricultural University Campus in Gujarat.
- About 410 aqua farmers across the coastal districts of Gujarat participated in the conclave.
- The central government had approved Rs. 20,050 crores for Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampadan Yojana for the sustainable development of fisheries and aquaculture sector.
- This paved the way for developing a project implemented by ICAR-CIBA on “Genetic improvement program of Penaeus indicus (Indian white shrimp)-Phase-I” with an outlay of Rs.25 crores under the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) to establish a National Genetic Improvement Facility for shrimp breeding.
- He also launched the Shrimp Crop Insurance scheme developed by the Agricultural Insurance Company (AIC) with the support of ICAR-CIBA during the occasion in the presence of the Chairman cum Managing Director of AIC, Smt. Grija Subramanian.
- Two Memorandums of Understanding (MoU) were signed between CIBA and National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB); CIBA and Fish Farmers Producer Organization (FFPO) of Gujarat respectively for implementing the crop insurance for aquaculture with premium subsidy offered by the NFDB and technology support for the FFPO.
- He also handed over a sum Rs.40.05 Lakhs income earned by the SC, ST and Cage Culture beneficiaries of Navsari region through adoption of CIBA technologies for the livelihood development supported by NGRC-CIBA scientists.
- Navsari-Gujarat Regional centre of CIBA is doing good services to the aqua farmers of Gujarat and other inland saline areas of Rajasthan, Punjab and Haryana and Shri Rupala advised the Department of Fisheries of Gujarat to extend all the facilities and support required for the centre to grow it as a full-fledged research facility for the entire west coast.
- He also visited the exhibition of live shrimps and finfish species, CIBA hatchery produced shrimp and fish seeds.
- And also handed over the CIBA produced Asian sea bass fish seeds to the farmers.
- Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying – Parshottam Rupala,Union Minister (Rajya Sabha MP,Gujarat) – Sanjeev Balyan, Minister of State (Muzaffarnagar,UP), L. Murugan, Minister of State (Rajya Sabha MP,MP)
India can issue OIML (International Organisation of Legal Metrology) Certificates
- India had become the 13th country in the world that can issue Internationally Accepted OIML (International Organisation of Legal Metrology) Certificates.
- Secretary, of Consumer Affairs Rohit Kumar Singh said that Domestic manufacturers can now get their weighing and measuring instruments tested in the country and sell in the International market.
- It is a single certificate accepted worldwide and reduces redundancy, and saves resources.
- This system ensures uniformity and trust in measurement worldwide and saves resources by avoiding repeated certifications.
- Now Indian manufacturers or their agents can obtain OIML Certificates for their measuring instruments from the Indian OIML Issuing Authority which is Legal Metrology Division, Department of Consumer Affairs.
India and Mongolia exchange views on regional and international issues of mutual interest
- Secretary (East) Saurabh Kumar (Ministry of External Affairs) concluded his three-day visit to Mongolia.
- He held talks with State Secretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mongolia, N. Ankhbayar.
- During the visit, both sides discussed further strengthening of India-Mongolia Strategic Partnership and maintaining high-level engagements.
- They exchanged views on cooperation in various sectors, including developmental partnership, education, IT, renewable energy, connectivity, culture, capacity building, hydro-carbons, mining, defence, and security.
- They also exchanged views on regional and international issues of mutual interest.
- Mongolia – Ulaanbaatar (Capital) – Tögrög (Currency) – Ukhnaagiin Khürelsükh (President) – Luvsannamsrain Oyun-Erdene (Prime Minister) – Mongolian (Language)
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister inaugurated five new medical colleges
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Jagan Mohan Reddy inaugurated five new government medical colleges.
- He inaugurated the Government Medical College in Vizianagaram, and virtually inaugurated medical colleges at Rajamahendravaram, Eluru, Machilipatnam and Nandyal.
- The government had planned to start 17 medical colleges with a budget of Rs 8,480 crores.
- The number of seats has increased from 2,185 to 4,735 seats with the arrival of new colleges, while the number of PG medical seats has increased from 966 to 1,767 in four years.
- He also announced that 18 other nursing colleges are also being established.
- Andhra Pradesh – Visakhapatnam (Capital) – Y. S. Jagan Mohan Reddy (CM) – S. Abdul Nazeer (Governor) – Telugu (Language)
Madhya Pradesh will Provide Domestic LPG Cylinder at ₹450
- Madhya Pradesh government will provide LPG gas cylinders at a subsidised rate of ₹450 under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana and the Mukhyamantri Ladli Bahna Yojana from September 1.
- The state government will bear the remaining cost of the gas cylinder.
- All consumers under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana and non-Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana category registered under the Ladli Behna Yojana, having gas connections in their names, will be eligible for the benefit.
- The remaining amount for gas cylinder refills will be available to eligible connection holders from September 1, 2023.
- Madhya Pradesh – Bhopal (Capital) – Shivraj Singh Chouhan (CM) – Mangubhai C. Patel (Governor) – Hindi (Language)
Telangana sets record with opening of nine new medical colleges in a single day
- Telangana had created history opening nine new medical colleges in different districts in one go.
- Chief Minister K. Chandrasekhar Rao virtually inaugurated the medical colleges set up in Karimnagar, Kamareddy, Khammam, Jayashankar Bhupalpalli, Kumrambheem Asifabad, Nirmal, Rajanna Sircilla, Vikarabad and Jangaon districts.
- This follows the inauguration of eight medical colleges in different districts last year and the State is moving ahead towards the target of setting up one medical college each in all the 33 districts.
- With the inauguration of new medical colleges, Telangana’s share in the MBBS seats across the country has risen to 43% while 27 other States and Union Territories contribute to the remaining 53%.
- Telangana had become a role model for the country with the launch of several projects like Mission Bhagiratha, Mission Kakatiya, Kaleshwaram, 24X7 quality power supply to all sectors, medical college in each district and Ryth Bandhu.
- Telangana – Hyderabad (Capital) – K Chandrashekar Rao (CM) – Tamilisai Soundarajan (Governor) –Telugu (Language)
Kalaignar Magalir Urimai Thittam
- The Tamil Nadu Government launched Kalaignar Magalir Urimai Thittam wherein One Crore Women will be benefited as they will be paid 1,000 rupees – per month.
- The scheme was launched at Kanchipuram, the birth place of late Chief Minister and DMK founder C.N.Annadurai.
- The State will spend 12,000 Crores rupees annually for the scheme which aspires to improve the financial security of women heads of households and aims to reduce poverty.
- Tamil Nadu – Chennai (Capital) – MK Stalin (CM) – RN Ravi (Governor) – Tamil (Language)
Banking and Finance
RBI asked financial institutions to release all movable/ immovable property documents within 30 days of full repayment of loan
- Reserve Bank of India had asked all the financial institutions to release all movable/immovable property documents within 30 days upon receiving full repayment and closure of personal loan accounts.
- In case of delay financial institutions shall compensate the borrower at the rate of ₹5 thousand for each day of delay.
- These Directions will be applicable from 1st December 2023.
- In case of loss/damage to original movable / immovable property documents, the financial institutions shall assist the borrower in obtaining duplicate/certified copies.
- An additional time of 30 days will be available to the financial institution to complete this procedure and the delayed period penalty will be calculated thereafter i.e. after a total period of 60 days.
- The compensation provided under these directions shall be without prejudice to the rights of a borrower to get any other compensation as per any applicable law.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) – 01/04/1935 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Shaktikanta Das (Governor)
HDFC Bank, Credit Wise Capital signed co-lending pact for two-wheeler loans
- HDFC Bank has entered into a co-lending agreement with technology-driven NBFC Credit Wise Capital for two-wheeler financing in tier-2, 3, and 4 towns.
- The partnership combines HDFC Bank’s expertise to offer credit facility to the un-served or under-served sectors and robust due diligence, and Credit Wise Capital’s strong and easy loan processing tech platform for assessing potential borrowers, as well as their credit profile.
- It aims to provide seamless financing solutions, conveniently and economically in a digital manner through Credit Wise’s proprietary multilingual WhatsApp chatbot Twin2.
- The Twin2 platform is the first in the two-wheeler industry to use Account Aggregator (AA) to obtain customer banking details online, and an affluence score that utilises satellite images to provide location scores for better underwriting and a streamlined turnaround time.
- CreditWise has given two-wheeler loans to over 1 lakh customers till date.
- HDFC Bank – August 1994 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Sashidhar Jagdishan (CEO) – “We Understand Your World” (Tagline)
Business and Economy
GST tribunal to have 31 benches across 28 states and UTs
- Goods and Services Tax Appellate Tribunal (GSTAT)-the first common forum of dispute resolution between Centre and States-will have 31 benches across the 28 states and Union Territories.
- At present, there is no such dedicated judicial forum available to taxpayers, who are required to move to high courts in case of GST-related disputes.
- Following this, the rules concerning appointment to the benches and other procedural changes will be also brought in to make the forum operational in the current fiscal year.
- In March, the Parliament had cleared changes in the Finance Bill following the approval of the GST Council, paving the way for setting up much-awaited appellate tribunals.
- The move is expected to unlock several thousand cases pending at various levels.
- According to the ministry notification, large states such as Karnataka, Rajasthan, and Uttar Pradesh will have multiple benches, while most Union Territories except Delhi do not have an independent bench and would have to share with other states.
- Goa and Maharashtra together for instance will have three benches, while Karnataka and Rajasthan will have two benches each.
- Uttar Pradesh will have three benches.
- West Bengal, Sikkim, and Andaman and Nicobar Islands, and Tamil Nadu and Puducherry will together have two GSTAT benches each, while Kerala and Lakshadweep will have one bench.
- Gujarat and Union Territories — Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu, will have two benches of the GSTAT.
- Besides, 7 North Eastern states Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, and Tripura will have one bench.
- According to the legislation, the tribunal will have a “Principal Bench” in New Delhi, with a president, a judicial member, a technical member (Centre), and a technical member (state).
- It will also have state Benches, in accordance with the population of the states concerned.
- The national appellate Bench will look mainly into disputes between the tax department and assessees over the “place of supply”.
- It, however, will not take up any appeal with regard to divergent rulings by state appellate tribunals.
LIC gave dividend cheque of Rs 1,831 crore to Finance Minister
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) Chairman Siddhartha Mohanty presented a dividend cheque of Rs 1,831.09 crore to Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
- LIC has completed 67 years since its incorporation and beginning with an initial capital of Rs 5 crore in 1956, LIC as of March 31, 2023, has an asset base of Rs 45.50 lakh crore with a life fund of Rs 40.81 lakh crore.
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) – 01/09/1956 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Siddhartha Mohanty (Chairman)
Agreements and MoUs signed
IIT Kanpur signed MoU with ICICI Bank
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur had signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with ICICI Bank to fuel start-up innovation in India.
- The venture aims to empower start-ups and innovators incubated at the institute’s Startup Incubation and Innovation Centre (SIIC) with essential tools and knowledge.
- The partnership also focuses on supporting the incubatees by improving their understanding of foreign trade policies.
- Workshops and seminars are proposed to be conducted to help them successfully engage in international markets.
- Additionally, both entities will collaborate to organise events for start-ups and foster a broader innovation and entrepreneurial environment.
- SIIC, IIT Kanpur, is one of the oldest incubators in the country.
- It was established in the year 2000 when the entrepreneurial ecosystem was still at a nascent stage in India.
- ICICI Bank – 05/01/1994 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Sandeep Bakhshi (MD & CEO)– “Khayal Apka” (Tagline)
Odisha signed MoU with 6 banks
- The Odisha government had entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with six public sector banks for catering to all unbanked gram panchayats.
- The six public sector banks including State Bank of India, Punjab National Bank, Union Bank of India, UCO Bank, Bank of India and Bank of Baroda will be providing banking services in all unbanked gram panchayats of the state through CSP Plus banking outlets.
- Odisha – Bhubaneswar (Capital) – Naveen Patnaik (CM) – Ganeshi Lal (Governor) – Odia (Language)
Summit and Conference
IGs Level Border Co-ordination Conference
- The IGs Level Border Co-ordination Conference between Border Security Force (BSF), India and Border Guards Bangladesh (BGB) concluded in Chittagong, Bangladesh.
- During the four days long conference, the BSF delegation was led by Pradip Kumar, Inspector General of BSF Meghalaya Frontier while the BGB delegation was headed by Brigadier General Md Shazedur Rahman Commander of Chittagong Region.
- The conference discussed about various cross-border crimes including illegal infiltration, drug trafficking, human trafficking, gold and arms smuggling and about various developmental work within 150 yards of the border.
- During the conference, both sides laid emphasis on the implementation of the Coordinated Border Management Plan (CBMP) to prevent inter-border crimes.
- Both sides also agreed to exchange information on persons involved in cross-border crimes and to promptly share information obtained at the field level.
- Bangladesh – Dhaka (Capital) – Taka (Currency) – Mohammed Shahabuddin (President) – Sheikh Hasina (Prime Minister) – Bengali (Language)
Awards and Recognitions
Arundhati Roy won prestigious essay prize for lifetime achievement
- Arundhati Roy had won the 45th Prix Européen de l’Essai (Charles-Veillon European Essay Prize) for Lifetime Achievement award for her essays.
- The European Essay Prize is awarded each year by the Charles Veillon Foundation to an essayist.
- It is the first literary prize devoted exclusively to the genre of the essay created in 1975.
- First awarded to Jacques Ellul of France for his “Betrayal of the West”.
- In 2022 Mona Chollet of Switzerland for “Reinventing love”.
Chevalier Of The Order Of Arts And Letters
- French Ambassador to India, Emmanuel Lenain presented Ordre des Arts et des Lettres (Chevalier Of The Order Of Arts And Letters) to Rahul Mishra at a ceremony held in France.
- This Knight of the Orders of Arts and Letters award is bestowed on individuals for their contributions to art and culture.
- Rahul Mishra was awarded this prestigious award for his contributions to the fashion industry, especially for his role in promoting the influence of arts globally.
- Actor Kamal Haasan and acclaimed filmmaker Guneet Monga have been the past awardees of this prestigious award in the past.
- France – Paris (Capital) – Euro (Currency) – Emmanuel Macron (President) – Élisabeth Borne (Prime Minister) – French (Language)
Books and Authors
HarperCollins India will publish Huma Qureshi's debut novel - ZEBA: An Accidental Superhero
- Book: ZEBA: An Accidental Superhero
- Author: Huma Qureshi
- Publisher: HarperCollins India
International Day of Democracy 2023
- International Day of Democracy is annually observed on September 15.
- The day observes the importance of democracy as a fundamental human right and a cornerstone of good governance and peace.
- In 2007 the United Nations General Assembly decided to observe 15 September as the International Day of Democracy.
- The day was first observed in 2008.
- Theme – “Empowering the next generation”
National Engineers' Day
- National Engineers’ Day is annually observed on September 15 in India, Sri Lanka, and Tanzania.
- The day is celebrated commemorate the birth anniversary of Bharat Ratna (1955) Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya (Sir MV).
- The day was first celebrated in the year 1968, after the demise of Sir MV in 1962.
Daily Current Affairs - September 15, 2023 - Consolidated
- Top procurer on Government e-Marketplace (GeM)
- Second Edition of ICAR-CIBA’s Shrimp Farmers Conclave-2023
- India can issue OIML (International Organisation of Legal Metrology) Certificates
- India and Mongolia exchange views on regional and international issues of mutual interest
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister inaugurated five new medical colleges
- Madhya Pradesh will Provide Domestic LPG Cylinder at ₹450
- Telangana sets record with opening of nine new medical colleges in a single day
- Kalaignar Magalir Urimai Thittam
- RBI asked financial institutions to release all movable/ immovable property documents within 30 days of full repayment of loan
- HDFC Bank, Credit Wise Capital signed co-lending pact for two-wheeler loans
- GST tribunal to have 31 benches across 28 states and UTs
- LIC gave dividend cheque of Rs 1,831 crore to Finance Minister
- IIT Kanpur signed MoU with ICICI Bank
- Odisha signed MoU with 6 banks
- IGs Level Border Co-ordination Conference
- Arundhati Roy won prestigious essay prize for lifetime achievement
- Chevalier Of The Order Of Arts And Letters
- HarperCollins India will publish Huma Qureshi’s debut novel – ZEBA: An Accidental Superhero
- International Day of Democracy 2023
- National Engineers’ Day
Do you wish to crack Banking Exams in 2023 ? - Register Now
Take your first step to your DREAM GOVERNMENT JOB
Enquire for Next Batch.