Daily Current Affairs – September 17, 18 & 19, 2023
Daily Current Affairs - Banking - September 17, 18 & 19, 2023
Dear Banking Aspirants,
Prepare for the Daily Current Affairs with Veranda Race who is the pioneer in the Banking Exam Coaching. Current Affairs section is one of the important Scoring section in the Mains of many Banking Exams like SBI PO, SBI CLERK, IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, IBPS RRB PO, IBPS RRB CLERK and multiple Insurance Exams.
Veranda Race is committed to provide Daily Current Affairs for all the days for the students who are preparing for Banking & Insurance Exams.
Check Daily for the Daily Current Affairs and also for the Quizzes to prepare for the upcoming Banking & Insurance Exams in 2023.
Download – LEGEND Monthly Current Affairs Magazine
Renaming of Railway Station & districts of Maharashtra
- Union minister Dr.Jitendra Singh announced that Udhampur Railway Station in Firozpur Division of Northern Railway was formally renamed as Martyr Captain Tushar Mahajan Railway Station.
- Captain Tushar Mahajan was an officer in the Indian Army who made the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty.
- He was a part of the 9 Para Special Forces unit, also known as the “9 Parachute Commando.”
- Captain Tushar Mahajan was born on May 25, 1987, in Udhampur, Jammu and Kashmir, India.
- He gained recognition and respect for his bravery and leadership during a counter-terrorism operation in Pampore, Jammu and Kashmir, in February 2016 where he was killed.
- He won various award including the Shaurya Chakra, which is one of India’s highest peacetime gallantry awards.
- Maharashtra government officially issued a notification on the change of names of Aurangabad and Osmanabad districts as ‘Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar’ and ‘Dharashiv’, respectively.
- Both the districts are part of the Marathwada region.
Phase 1 of India International Convention and Expo Centre
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the first phase of India International Convention and Expo Centre (IICC), named YashoBhoomi, in Dwarka and also the extension of Delhi Airport Metro Express line from Dwarka Sector 21 to a new metro station at Dwarka Sector 25.
- With a total project area of over 8.9 lakh sqm and total built up area of more than 1.8 lakh sqm, it will find its place among the world’s largest MICE (meetings, incentives, conferences, and exhibitions) facilities.
- The convention centre, built across more than 73,000 sqm of area, comprises 15 convention rooms including the main auditorium, the grand ballroom and 13 meeting rooms with a total capacity of holding 11,000 delegates.
- It has the largest LED media facade in the country.
- The main auditorium is the plenary hall for the convention centre and is equipped with a seating capacity of around 6,000 guests.
- The auditorium has one of the most innovative automated seating systems which allows the floor to be a flat floor or an auditorium style tiered seating for different seating configurations.
- YashoBhoomi also offers one of the largest exhibition halls in the world.
- It consists of materials and objects inspired from Indian culture in the form of terrazzo floors with brass inlay representing rangolis patterns, suspended sound absorbent metal cylinders, lit up patterned walls.
Transformative initiatives for Agriculture sector
- The government will launch a series of transformative initiatives, aimed at revolutionizing agriculture in the country in New Delhi.
- The transformative initiatives include Kisan Rin Portal (KRP), Door to Door KCC Campaign and Weather Information Network Data Systems (WINDS) Manual.
- These initiatives will be launched by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare, Narendra Singh Tomar.
- These initiatives aims to amplify financial inclusion, streamline data utilization, harness technology, and enhance the livelihoods of the agricultural community.
- It said these initiatives will focus on agri-credit and crop insurance, keeping the welfare of farmers at their core.
- It added that these efforts and innovations will help in furthering the goal of agricultural transformation and sustainable economic growth for the farming community of the country.
- The Kisan Rin Portal (KRP), developed in collaboration with multiple government departments, is poised to revolutionize access to credit services under the Kisan Credit Card (KCC).
- This digital platform offers a comprehensive view of farmer data, loan disbursement specifics, interest subvention claims, and efficient agriculture credit.
- The Ghar Ghar Kisan Credit Card (KCC) Abhiyaan is an ambitious campaign to extend the benefits of the Kisan Credit Card (KCC) Scheme to every farmer across India.
- This campaign aims to achieve universal financial inclusion, ensuring that every farmer has unhindered access to credit facilities.
- The Ministry said the total number of operative KCC accounts as on March 2023 are 7.35 Crores with total sanctioned limit of 8.85 lakh crores rupees.
- The Weather Information Network Data Systems (WINDS) initiative is an instrumental innovation, leverages advanced weather data analytics to provide stakeholders with actionable insights on weather.
- Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare – Narendra Singh Tomar,Cabinet Minister (Morena,UP) – Shobha Karandlaje,Minister of State (Udupi Chikmagalur,Karnataka), Kailash Choudhary, Minister of State (Barmer,Rajasthan)
Finance Ministry approved various welfare measures for LIC agents and employees
- The Finance Ministry approved various welfare measures for Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) agents and employees.
- This move will benefit over 13 lakh agents and more than one lakh regular employees.
- Under these new measures, the Ministry has enhanced the gratuity limit from three lakh rupees to five lakh rupees for LIC agents.
- It has also enabled reappointed agents to be eligible for renewal commissions.
- The Ministry informed that the term insurance cover for the agents has also been expanded from the existing range between three thousand and ten thousand rupees to 25 thousand and one lakh fifty thousand rupees.
- Furthermore, a family pension at a uniform rate of 30 percent for the welfare of the families of LIC employees has also been approved.
- Ministry of Finance – Nirmala Sitharaman,Cabinet Minister (Rajya Sabha MP,Karnataka) – Bhagwat Karad, Minister of State (Rajya Sabha MP,Maharashtra) & Pankaj Choudhary, Minister of State (Maharajganj,UP)
Shantiniketan declared as UNESCO World Heritage site
- Shantiniketan was Established in rural West Bengal in 1901 by the renowned poet and philosopher Rabindranath Tagore was declared as UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Santiniketan was a residential school and centre for art based on ancient Indian traditions and a vision of the unity of humanity transcending religious and cultural boundaries.
- A ‘world university’ was established at Santiniketan in 1921, recognizing the unity of humanity or “Visva Bharati”.
- Distinct from the prevailing British colonial architectural orientations of the early 20th century and of European modernism, Santiniketan represents approaches toward a pan-Asian modernity, drawing on ancient, medieval and folk traditions from across the region.
List of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in India
Name of Sites
Kaziranga National Park
Keoladeo National Park
Manas Wildlife Sanctuary
Churches and Convents of Goa
Monuments of Khajuraho
Monuments of Hampi
Great Living Chola Temples
Sundarbans National Park
Nanda Devi & Valley of Flowers National Park
Monuments of Buddha
Qutub Minar and its Monuments
Mountain Railways of Darjeeling,
Bhimbetka Rock Shelters
Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus
ChampanerPavagadh Archaeological Park
Rani Ki Vav (The Queen’s Stepwell)
Great Himalayan National Park
Khangchendzonga National Park
(both natural and cultural significance)
Architectural Work of Le Corbusier
The Historic City
Victorian Gothic and Art Deco Ensembles
The Pink City
Kakatiya Rudreshwara (Ramappa) Temple
- Rabindranath Tagore was an Indian poet, writer, playwright, composer, philosopher, social reformer and painter.
- “Jan Gana Mana” was composed by Rabindranath Tagore in Bengali on 11 December 1911.
- He won Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913.
Jyotiraditya Scindia inaugurated integrated office complex for aviation regulators
- Civil Aviation Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia inaugurated the integrated office complex for aviation regulators in the national capital.
- The integrated office complex ‘Udaan Bhawan’ will house DGCA (Directorate General of Civil Aviation), BCAS (Bureau of Civil Aviation Security), AERA (Airports Economic Regulatory Authority), AAIB (Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau) and AAI (Airports Authority of India).
- He also launched the Bharatkosh Advance Deposit (e-wallet) facility for the civil aviation ministry.
- The integrated office complex has been built at a cost of ₹374.98 crore.
- Ministry of Civil Aviation – Jyotiraditya Scindia,Union Minister (Rajya Sabha MP,MP) – General Vijay Kumar Singh,Minister of State
Women's Reservation Bill
- The Union Cabinet cleared the women’s reservation Bill.
- The Bill to reserve at least a third of the Lok Sabha and Legislative Assembly seats could become the first one to be introduced in the new Parliament building.
10th meeting of India-Malaysia Joint Sub-Committee on Defence Science, Technology and Industry Cooperation
- The 10th meeting of the India-Malaysia Joint Sub-Committee on Defence Science, Technology and Industry Cooperation was held in New Delhi.
- The existing defence research and industry cooperation between the two countries was reviewed and discussions were held on issues pertaining to mutual interest during the meeting.
- The meeting was co-chaired by Joint Secretary (Naval Systems), Department of Defence Production, Ministry of Defence Shri Rajeev Prakash and Under Secretary, Defence Industry Division, Ministry of Defence, Malaysia Mr Eris Jemadi bin Tajudin.
- Malaysia – Kuala Lumpur (Capital) – Ringgit (Currency) – Abdullah (Monarch) – Anwar Ibrahim (Prime Minister) – Malay (Language)
Telangana government announced ‘CM breakfast scheme’
- The Telangana government had announced the ‘CM breakfast scheme’ for school students studying from classes 1 to 10 starting October 24 as a Dusshera festival gift.
- This new scheme will cost the government an additional Rs 400 crores.
- After Tamil Nadu it became the second state to implement the scheme.
- Telangana – Hyderabad (Capital) – K Chandrashekar Rao (CM) – Tamilisai Soundarajan (Governor) –Telugu (Language)
‘PM Vishwakarma’ Scheme
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched ‘PM Vishwakarma Scheme’ for traditional artisans and craftspeople on the occasion of Vishwakarma Jayanti, from New Delhi and also launched the PM Vishwakarma logo, tagline and portal.
- He also released a customized stamp sheet, a tool kit e-booklet and video on the occasion.
- He distributed Vishwakarma Certificates to 18 beneficiaries.
- The event took place at approximately 70 venues across the nation, as part of the whole-of-government strategy to increase beneficiary awareness.
- The objectives of the scheme lay emphasis on:
- The preservation and promotion of the rich cultural heritage of traditional crafts
- Assisting artisans in transitioning to formal economy and integrating them into global value chains.
Mukhya Mantri Shramik Kalyan Yojana
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu had announced the rollout of a new scheme titled ‘Mukhya Mantri Shramik Kalyan Yojana’ for the welfare of the labour force of the state.
- Under the scheme, maternity benefit for families of workers has been enhanced from 1,000 rupees to 6,000 rupees; natural death compensation from 50,000 rupees to 2 lakhs rupees and accidental death compensation from 1 lakh rupees to 4 lakh rupees.
- To encourage sports amongst the children of workers, the scheme will have cash incentives of 15,000 rupees for Gold, 10,000 rupees for Silver, and 8,000 rupees for Bronze in any state-level tournament or competition.
- For those excelling at the national level, 30,000 rupees for Gold, 20,000 rupees for Silver, and 15,000 rupees for bronze will be provided under the scheme.
- Arunachal Pradesh – Itanagar (Capital) – Pema Khandu (CM) – Kaiwalya Trivikram Parnaik (Governor) – English (Language)
Banking and Finance
Maxima Savings Account and Business Maxima Current Account by Ujjivan Small Finance Bank
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank announced the introduction of the Maxima Savings Account and Business Maxima Current Account for the premium customer segment.
- These new offerings aim to improve the banking experience for both new and existing customers by providing a variety of services and benefits.
- The products are designed to provide customers with various benefits, superior features, and a premium experience to meet their various financial and banking needs.
- The annual interest rate on the Maxima Savings Account is up to 7.5%, one of the highest in the industry, and customers can open the account with Rs. 1 lakh.
- Customers also have the flexibility to maintain Rs. 15 lakh or more in fixed deposits to meet the balance eligibility criteria of the Maxima Savings Account, an option not available with other standard savings accounts.
- Other exciting services offered by Maxima Savings Account include higher transaction limits, Free cheque & DD Issuances, Free transactions across all channels, and unlimited cash deposits and withdrawals at any branch.
- A Complimentary Health Prime Benefit is also offered with the Maxima Savings Account to applicable customers.
- Business Maxima Current Account provides businesses and entrepreneurs with a comprehensive suite of services designed to meet their unique needs.
- It features convenient online banking, instant fund transfers, and cash management options.
- Notable features include the ability for businesses to define their own cash deposit limit, a higher daily ATM withdrawal limit of Rs. 5 lakhs per day, the provision of beyond banking services such as account services for merchants, and free installation and rental fees for POS services.
- In addition, business account holders will have access to specialised relationship managers to guide and serve their customised banking needs.
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank – 01/02/2017 (Founded) – Bangalore (HQ)- Ittira Davis (MD & CEO)
Business and Economy
S&P Global India FY24 GDP
- S&P Global had announced that India’s growth prediction for FY24 was raised upward to 6.6%.
- S&P Global Inc. – 1917 (Founded) – New York (HQ) – Douglas L. Peterson (President & CEO)
Agreements and MoUs signed
United Nations World Food Programme signed MoU with IIT Bombay
- United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) and the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay have signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) for contributing towards improving food security, nutrition, climate resilience and livelihoods.
- WFP and IIT will work together to establish a comprehensive knowledge management system.
- It will involve identifying and analysing relevant data, research and evidence generation related to food and nutrition security.
- This partnership will also focus on ecosystem development for technology and innovations to bolster government food safety net programs.
- Real-time monitoring systems and dashboards using administrative data sets will be created to generate actionable evidence concerning food and nutrition security in the country.
- World Food Programme (WFP) – 19/12/1961 (Founded) – Rome, Italy (HQ) – David Muldrow Beasley (Executive Director)
Khadi and Village Industries Commission signed three MoUs
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) along with Ministry of MSME had signed three separate MoUs with Prasar Bharati, NBCC (India) Limited, and Digital India Corporation and laid foundation stone of ‘Modern Khadi of New India’ in the Amritkal of Independent India.
- The objective of these MoUs is to prepare a roadmap to modernize the Khadi and Village Industries Commission and popularize its products among the youth as per the vision of the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
- The MoUs were signed by Shri Sanjay Prasad, Deputy Director General of Prasar Bharati and Shri Sanjeev Poswal, Director Publicity of KVIC. Shri Pradeep Sharma, Chief General Manager of NBCC (India) Ltd. and by Shri Rajan Babu, Deputy Chief Executive Officer, Estate & Services of KVIC and Shri Debarat Nayak, Chief Technical Officer of Digital India Corporation and Shri Rajan Babu, Deputy Chief Executive Officer, Information Technology of KVIC.
- KVIC Chairman Manoj Kumar had also launched a dashboard and ATR Portal.
- Dashboard will help the Chairman for monitoring the schemes run by the Commission and ATR Portal will facilitate the efficient tracking of actions taken on Commission’s decision.
- Khadii and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) – 1957 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Manoj Kumar (Chairman)
IREDA signed MoUs with Bank of Maharashtra
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA) had signed a significant Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Bank of Maharashtra (BoM).
- This collaboration aims to promote and facilitate co-lending and loan syndication for a diverse spectrum of Renewable Energy projects across the nation.
- The MoU comprises several services including co-lending and co-origination support for all Renewable Energy projects, facilitating loan syndication and underwriting, management of Trust & Retention Account for IREDA borrowers, and a commitment to establishing stable fixed interest rates spanning a period of 3-4 years for IREDA borrowings.
- Under this agreement, Bank of Maharashtra can invest in the Bonds issued by IREDA in accordance with the specified terms and conditions of the offering.
- The MoU was signed by General Manager (Technical Services), IREDA, Shri Bharat Singh Rajput and General Manager (Retail & MSME Credit), Bank of Maharashtra, Shri Rajesh Singh at IREDA’s Business Centre, New Delhi.
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited (IREDA) – 1987 (Formed) – New Delhi (HQ) – Pradip Kumar Das (Chairman & MD)
- Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) – 16/09/1935 (Founded) – Pune, Maharashtra (HQ) – A. S. Rajeev (MD & CEO) – “One Family One Bank” (Tagline)
President of Automotive Skills Development Council
- F R Singhvi’s was appointed as President of Automotive Skills Development Council (ASDC) by replacing Vinod Aggarwal.
- Concurrently, Vinkesh Gulati had been appointed as Vice President.
- ASDC is the sole sector skill council in India supported by the Indian automobile industry.
- Automotive Skills Development Council (ASDC) – March 2011 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ)
Ranks and Indices
Global Leader Approval Rating Tracker 2023
- The US-based consultancy firm’s Morning Consult released the ‘Global Leader Approval Rating Tracker’.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had been remained in the top position for past two years.
Rating in Percentage (%)
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Switzerland President Alain Berset
Mexico’s President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador
Brazil president luiz inacio lula
Australia Prime Minister Anthony Albanese
World Happiness Index 2023
- The World Happiness Report is a publication released annually by the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN).
Finland (6th Consecutive year)
India (136 in 2022)
- Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) – 2012 (Founded)
Gita Mehta passed away
- Renowned writer-filmmaker Gita Mehta passed away at 80 in New Delhi.
- Her books include Karma Cola, Snakes and Ladders, A River Sutra, Raj and Eternal Ganesha.
- She also produced and directed at least 14 television documentaries for UK, European and US networks.
- She was the daughter of Biju Patnaik and the sister of Odisha chief minister Naveen Patnaik.
Singapore Grand Prix
ISSF World Cup 2023 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Indian shooter Elavenil Valarivan has won the gold medal in the women’s 10 metre air rifle event by defeating Oceanne Muller of France and Nischal has won silver in the Women’s 50m Rifle at the ISSF World Cup 2023 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Elavenil Valarivan had won a gold in the same event at the 2019 Rio World Cup as well.
- Brazil – Brasília (Capital) – Real (Currency) – Lula da Silva (President) – Portuguese (Language)
Asia Cup 2023
- India defeated Sri Lanka by registering a 10 wicket win and lifted the Asia Cup 2023 in Colombo.
- Mohammed Siraj was declared player of the match and Kuldeep Yadav player of the series.
- The Asia Cup, officially known as the ACC Men’s Asia Cup is a men’s international cricket tournament contested between Asian countries in either One Day International format ODI (50 overs) and Twenty20 International cricket format (20 overs).
Winners of ACC Asia Cup
Sri Lanka (2)
Sri Lanka (3)
Sri Lanka (4)
Sri Lanka (5)
Sri Lanka (6)
World Patient Safety Day
- World Patient Safety Day (WPSD) is annually observed on September 17.
- The day is celebrated to raise global awareness about patient safety and call for solidarity and united action by all countries and international partners to reduce patient harm.
- World Patient Safety Day is one of 11 official global public health campaigns marked by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Theme – “Engaging patients for patient safety”
- Slogan – “Elevate the voice of patients!”
- World Health Organization (WHO) – 07/04/1948 (Founded) – Geneva, Switzerland (HQ) – Tedros Adhanom (Director-General)
International Equal Pay Day 2023International Equal Pay Day 2023
- International Equal Pay Day is annually observed on September 19.
- The day represents the longstanding efforts towards the achievement of equal pay for work of equal value.
- The day was first observed by the National Committee on Pay Equity in 1996.
- In 2020 United Nation established September 18 as International Equal Pay Day.
- United Nations (UN) – 24/10/1945 (Founded) – New York (HQ) – António Guterres (Secretary General) – 193 member states & 2 observer states
Defence Ministry cleared proposal to buy 'Pralay' ballistic missiles for Indian Army
- The Defence Ministry has approved the purchase of a regiment of ‘Pralay’ ballistic missiles for the Indian Army.
- These missiles will be deployed along the borders with China and Pakistan and will have a range of 150-500 km.
- The decision comes after a similar proposal was cleared for the Indian Air Force.
- The ‘Pralay’ missile is a quasi-ballistic surface-to-surface missile that can change its path midair and defeat interceptor missiles.
- The missile system started developing around 2015 and the development of such a capability was given a push by the late General Bipin Rawat as Chief of Army Staff.
- The missile was successfully tested twice on consecutive days last year on December 21 and December 22.
- Indian Army – 26/01/1950 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Army Day (January 15) – General Manoj Pande (Chief of Army Staff) – “Service Before Self” (Motto)
Daily Current Affairs - September 17, 18 & 19, 2023 - Consolidated
- Renaming of Railway Station & districts of Maharashtra
- Phase 1 of India International Convention and Expo Centre
- Transformative initiatives for Agriculture sector
- Finance Ministry approved various welfare measures for LIC agents and employees
- Shantiniketan declared as UNESCO World Heritage site
- Jyotiraditya Scindia inaugurated integrated office complex for aviation regulators
- Women’s Reservation Bill
- 10th meeting of India-Malaysia Joint Sub-Committee on Defence Science, Technology and Industry Cooperation
- Telangana government announced ‘CM breakfast scheme’
- ‘PM Vishwakarma’ Scheme
- Mukhya Mantri Shramik Kalyan Yojana
- Maxima Savings Account and Business Maxima Current Account by Ujjivan Small Finance Bank
- S&P Global India FY24 GDP
- United Nations World Food Programme signed MoU with IIT Bombay
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission signed three MoUs
- IREDA signed MoUs with Bank of Maharashtra
- President of Automotive Skills Development Council
- Global Leader Approval Rating Tracker 2023
- World Happiness Index 2023
- Gita Mehta passed away
- Singapore Grand Prix
- ISSF World Cup 2023 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Asia Cup 2023
- World Patient Safety Day
- International Equal Pay Day 2023
- Defence Ministry cleared proposal to buy ‘Pralay’ ballistic missiles for Indian Army
Do you wish to crack Banking Exams in 2023 ? - Register Now
Take your first step to your DREAM GOVERNMENT JOB
Enquire for Next Batch.