Daily Current Affairs – September 21, 2023
Daily Current Affairs - Banking - September 21, 2023
Dear Banking Aspirants,
Prepare for the Daily Current Affairs with Veranda Race who is the pioneer in the Banking Exam Coaching. Current Affairs section is one of the important Scoring section in the Mains of many Banking Exams like SBI PO, SBI CLERK, IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, IBPS RRB PO, IBPS RRB CLERK and multiple Insurance Exams.
Veranda Race is committed to provide Daily Current Affairs for all the days for the students who are preparing for Banking & Insurance Exams.
Check Daily for the Daily Current Affairs and also for the Quizzes to prepare for the upcoming Banking & Insurance Exams in 2023.
Download – LEGEND Monthly Current Affairs Magazine
Annual Capacity Building Plan (ACBP) of Department of Fisheries
- Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Shri Parshottam Rupala launched the Annual Capacity Building Plan (ACBP) of Department of Fisheries in New Delhi.
- The ACBP of Department of Fisheries will play a pivotal role in service delivery, program implementation and performing core Government functions and will enhance the abilities of the officials by attending basic training to acquire relevant competencies and to enable them to perform better.
- Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying – Parshottam Rupala,Union Minister (Rajya Sabha MP,Gujarat) – Sanjeev Balyan, Minister of State (Muzaffarnagar,UP), L. Murugan, Minister of State (Rajya Sabha MP,MP)
'Skills On Wheels' Bus
- With an aim to empower nearly 60,000 youth and improve their livelihood, Union Minister for Education and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Dharmendra Pradhan has launched ‘Skills On Wheels’ initiative.
- The robust skill training programme will be conducted in collaboration with IndusInd Bank and National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) that will further add to the proficiency of the youth.
- The initiative will operate from a ‘customised bus with retrofitted tools’ that will travel to the remotest corners of the country to train and prepare youth for the current job market.
- The youth, particularly women, will be equipped with key digital skills that are crucial in sustaining oneself in the present job sector.
- By creating skilled experts for the industries and factories, the mission will not only help in aiding a single youth but will lead to bigger changes by uplifting the rural households of the country.
- Consequently, the mission will also help in bridging the gap between the skilled people required in the industry and the unemployed youth looking for work.
- The mission will ensure that the right candidate with a passion for a particular job chooses the right course according to his/her academic background, aptitude and skill set.
- The mission is aimed at spreading awareness at grass root level about free skill training programmes that will help the youth from the remotest regions to become independent and make a positive change in their lives by contributing to the demands ever changing job sector.
- The training programme will improve the theoretical as well as practical knowledge of the youth and support them in bringing the required cooperation and effective coordination at the workplace.
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship – Dharmendra Pradhan,Union Minister (Rajya Sabha MP,MP) – Rajeev Chandrasekhar,Minister of State (Rajya Sabha MP,Karnataka)
17th International Congress on the Chemistry of Cement
- India has won the bid to host the prestigious International Congress on the Chemistry of Cement (ICCC) at New Delhi in 2027.
- India’s leading research and academic institutes, National Council for Cement and Building Materials (NCCBM) along with IIT Delhi successfully presented the India’s bid before the Steering Committee members of the Conference during the ongoing 16th ICCC at Bangkok, Thailand.
- Besides India, other bidders were from Switzerland and UAE.
- The decision was announced at Bangkok, Thailand during the 16th ICCC.
- The Indian bid was presented by Dr L P Singh, Director General, NCCBM, Dr S K Chaturvedi, Joint Director, NCCBM and Dr Shashank Bishnoi, Professor (Civil Engg.), IIT Delhi.
- The International Congress on the Chemistry of Cement is the largest and most prestigious event of its kind which reviews the progress of research in the area of Cement and Concrete.
- The congresses have been held generally at intervals of four to six years since 1918, providing a strong and fruitful link between the academic world and the cement industry.
- The 9th Congress was organized at New Delhi in 1992 by NCCBM and the present 16th ICCC is being held at Bangkok, Thailand.
- National Council for Cement and Building Materials (NCCBM) is an apex Research and Development organization under the administrative control of DPIIT, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India.
Revamped Tamil Nadu Startup and Innovation Policy 2023
- Chief Minister MK Stalin launched the Revamped Tamil Nadu Startup and Innovation Policy 2023.
- The revamped Tamil Nadu Startup and Innovation Policy 2023 has set a vision for the State to become one of the top 20 global start-up destinations by 2032.
- The policy has over 50 action points to help the State become a leading start-up ecosystem.
- The policy period of the first Tamil Nadu Startup and Innovation Policy was 2018-23.
- The revamped policy will accelerate and scale start-ups and increase their share in the State’s GDP and social capital.
- It defines and strengthens the seven determinants of the start-up ecosystem — start-up literacy; innovation landscape; start-up support centres; access to market; investment ecosystem; stakeholder engagement and equitable growth.
- Tamil Nadu – Chennai (Capital) – MK Stalin (CM) – RN Ravi (Governor) – Tamil (Language)
Phase 2 of the ‘Promotion of Tribal Products for North East Region’ (PTP-NER 2.0) scheme
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Ltd. (TRIFED) under Ministry of Tribal Affairs, would be launching the phase 2 of the ‘Promotion of Tribal Products for North East Region’ (PTP-NER 2.0) scheme, from 21st September to 10th November, 2023.
- In this phase, 29 districts with as many teams of TRIFED, North Eastern Handicrafts and Handlooms Development Corporation (NEHHDC) – Union Ministry of DoNER, and State Administration teams will travel the North East Region, to once again reach out to tribal artisans and showcase their cultural richness and heritage not only to the Nation but world over.
- Union Minister for Tribal Affairs, Shri Arjun Munda, launched the Central Sector Scheme ‘Marketing and Logistics Development for Promotion of Tribal Products from North -Eastern Region (PTP-NER)’, for the benefit of Scheduled Tribes of North-eastern Region, in Manipur.
- The scheme was initiated on the same day by TRIFED, with the aim of strengthening and giving impetus to livelihood opportunities for tribal artisans by increasing their production capacity through technology and giving their products access to markets by effective marketing and attractive packaging.
- In the first phase of the scheme (PTP-NER 1.0), eight States were covered and 38 Districts were visited by the teams of TRIFED and NEHHDC, in close collaboration with State Administrations.
- These teams conducted 64 Tribal Artisans Empanelment Melas (TAeM) in April-May, 2023.
- With this initiative, TRIFED reached out to 2526 Artisans from 44 Tribes, empanelling 1056 of them and identifying 1465 for training capsules.
- An impressive 3115 products were procured ranging from textiles, forest produce, bamboo items, jewellery, pottery, paintings and more.
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs – Arjun Munda,Cabinet Minister (Khunti,Jharkhand) – Renuka Singh Saruta, Minister of State (Sarguja, Chhattisgarh) & Bisweshwar Tudu, Minister of State (Mayurbhanj,Odisha)
Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation (KALIA) scheme
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik disbursed Rs 900 crore an amount of Rs 2,000 each was directly transferred to the bank accounts of 43.88 lakh small and marginal farmers and other 68,750 landless farmers in Odisha under the Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation (KALIA) scheme for Rabi crop.
- The state government launched the KALIA scheme in 2018, under which farmers are given Rs 4,000 in two equal instalments.
- So far, the state government has disbursed Rs 12,500 crore to farmers under the scheme.
- Odisha – Bhubaneswar (Capital) – Naveen Patnaik (CM) – Ganeshi Lal (Governor) – Odia (Language)
Banking and Finance
Bank of Baroda implemented UPI LITE
- Bank of Baroda had implemented UPI LITE – Small Value on Device Wallet.
- Bank of Baroda also piloted the UPI LITE X during the Global Fintech Fest 2023.
- Customers must enable UPI LITE on BHIM or another app that supports UPI LITE in order to use this service.
- Customers can fund their UPI LITE account during LITE activation using their UPI-linked Bank of Baroda bank account.
- Customers will seamlessly and instantly pay merchants.
- Bank of Baroda (BOB or BoB) – 20/07/1908 (Founded) – Vadodara, Gujarat (HQ) – Debadatta Chand (MD & CEO) – “India’s International Bank” (Tagline)
Business and Economy
India’s GDP Forecast
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) revised India’s growth forecast for FY24 to 6.3%, a change of 10 basis points, attributing it to erratic monsoon patterns that are likely to affect agricultural output.
- The organisation has maintained its growth projection for FY25 at 6.7%, driven by rising private investment and industrial output.
- Additionally, it revised its inflation projection for India for FY24 to 5.5%, up from the previous 5%.
- Meanwhile, India Ratings and Research has increased its FY24 growth estimate for India to 6.2%, up by 30 basis points, citing factors such as sustained government capital expenditure (capex), deleveraged corporate and banking balance sheets, and the likelihood of subdued global commodity prices.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) – 19/12/1966 (Founded) – Mandaluyong, Philippines (HQ) – Masatsugu Asakawa (President) – 68 countries
Agreements and MoUs signed
Gujarat government signed five MoUs
- The Gujarat government signed five MoUs for the proposed investment of 1,095 crore rupees in the State.
- The lead to creating nearly 1230 employment opportunities in the State in the coming years.
- The MoU’s were signed in sectors including packaging, plastic, textile, renewable energy projects, API, and food processing plants.
- Gujarat – Gandhinagar (Capital) – Bhupendrabhai Patel (CM) – Acharya Devvrat (Governor) – Gujarati & Hindi (Language)
India Global Forum signed MoU with World Governments Summit
- India Global Forum and World Governments Summit have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to develop an Emerging Economies Programme.
- The programme will convene key stakeholders, including government officials, business leaders, economists, and experts to foster high-level discussions on sustainable economic growth, geo-economic perspectives, and innovative solutions.
- The partnership will also focus on cultivating and fostering thought leadership, producing research on emerging trends, challenges, and opportunities that pertain to the Global South.
- The programme will also progressively enhance the data on the region for future governments.
- The MoU was signed by Manoj Ladwa and Mohamed al Sharhan, Managing Director, World Governments Summit.
India’s next Ambassador to Mongolia
- Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) Atul Malhari Gotsurve had been appointed as India’s next Ambassador to Mongolia by replacing MP Singh.
- Mongolia – Ulaanbaatar (Capital) – Tögrög (Currency) – Ukhnaagiin Khürelsükh (President) – Luvsannamsrain Oyun-Erdene (Prime Minister) – Mongolian (Language)
CEO of Liberty General Insurance
- Liberty General Insurance appointed Parag Ved as its chief executive and a director on the board by replacing Roopam Asthana.
- Prior to joining Liberty, he was the president of consumer lines at Tata AIG General Insurance.
- Ved has over two decades of experience in the insurance industry, holding senior leadership roles in organizations including ICICI Lombard General Insurance.
- Liberty General Insurance – 2013 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Parag Ved (MD & CEO)
Three new members of CCI
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) had approved appointing three new Members to the Competition Commission of India (CCI).
- The three members who have been appointed are Anil Agrawal, former Director General of Police and former Additional Secretary at the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT); Deepak Anurag, retired Deputy Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) and Sweta Kakkad, an advocate.
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) – 14/10/2003 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Ravneet kaur (Chairperson)
‘Sikkil’ Neela passed away
- N. Neela, the younger of the Sikkil Sisters, carnatic vocalist and senior flautists in Carnatic music, passed away at 85.
- She is sister of N. Kunjumani who passed away in 2010.
- Kalaimamani by the Tamil Nadu Sangeetha Nataka Sangam – 1973
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award – 1989
- Sangeetha Kalasikhamani by The Indian Fine Arts Society, Chennai – 1997
- Sangeetha Kalanidhi – 2002
- Padma Shri – 2004
Official Anthem for Men's Cricket World Cup
- International Cricket Council (ICC) released the official Anthem for the Men’s Cricket World Cup beginning on the October 5.
- The theme of the anthem is Dil Jashn Bole and it features Bollywood superstar Ranveer Singh and other popular social media influencers.
- The music for the anthem has been prepared by Pritam, and the singers are Pritam, Nakash Aziz, Sreerama Chandra, Amit Mishra, Jonita Gandhi, AKASA, and Charan.
- International Cricket Council (ICC) – 15/06/1909 (Founded) – Dubai,UAE (HQ) – Greg Barclay (Chairman) – 108 countries
BCCI signed SBI Life as ‘Official Partner’ for a three-year period
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) had tied up with insurance company SBI Life Insurance as its official partner for the 2023-2026 domestic and international season.
- The three-year deal will come into effect from the upcoming India-Australia ODI series, which begins on September 22.
- Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) – December 1928 (Founded) – Wankhede Stadium,Mumbai (HQ) – Roger Binny (President) – Hemang Amin (CEO)
World Alzheimer’s Day
- World Alzheimer’s Day is annually observed on September 21.
- This day is dedicated to raising awareness about Alzheimer’s disease and various forms of dementia.
- A key objective of this day is to eliminate the stigma surrounding Alzheimer’s disease.
- Alzheimer’s disease is a condition in which the brain starts to shrink and eventually the brain cells start to die.
- This leads to memory loss, cognitive decline and loss of social skills.
- It’s one of the most common causes of dementia and often impacts the affected person’s ability to function.
- The day was established on September 21, 1994, in Edinburgh, to mark the tenth anniversary of Alzheimer’s Disease International (ADI).
- ADI, formed in 1984, is an organisation dedicated to helping and providing guidance to individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and their families.
- Theme – Never Too Early, Never Too Late
International Day of Peace
- International Day of Peace is annually observed on September 21.
- The International Day of Peace was established in 1981 by the United Nations General Assembly.
- The day is celebrated to strengthening the ideals of peace, through observing 24 hours of non-violence and cease-fire.
- 2023 marks the mid-point in implementing the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The 2023 observance of the International Day of Peace coincides with the SDG summit (18 – 19 September) to mark the mid-point milestone.
- Theme – Actions for Peace: Our Ambition for the #GlobalGoals
- United Nations General Assembly – 1945 (Founded) – New York City (HQ) – Dennis Francis (President)
International Week of the Deaf
- International Week of the Deaf (IWDeaf) is annually celebrated during the last full week of September.
- Monday 18 September: Declaration on the Rights of Deaf Children
- Tuesday 19 September: Building Capacity Across the Globe
- Wednesday 20 September: Realising “Nothing Without Us”
- Thursday 21 September: Putting Deaf People on the Agenda
- Friday 22 September: Achieving Sign Language Rights for All
- Saturday 23 September: International Day of Sign Languages: A World Where Deaf People Everywhere Can Sign Anywhere
- Sunday 24 September: Building Inclusive Deaf Communities
- World Federation of the Deaf – 23/09/1951 (Founded) – Helsinki, Finland (HQ) – Joseph Murray (President)
- The 30th edition of the Singapore India Maritime Bilateral Exercise (SIMBEX) had commenced between the Indian Navy and the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) in Singapore.
- The SIMBEX enhances interoperability and mutual understanding between two navies.
- The Exercise is conducted in two phases.
- The Harbour Phase includes wide range of professional interactions, cross-deck visits, Subject Matter Expert Exchanges and sports fixtures.
- The Sea phase of SIMBEX includes exercises of air- defence, gunnery firing, anti-submarine and other maritime operations.
- Ranvijay, Kavaratti, and Sindhukesari, Long-Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft P81 participate in the exercise.
- SIMBEX is the longest naval exercise that Indian Navy has with any other country.
- Units of both the navies will hone their war-fighting skills with multi-discipline operations jointly in the Maritime domain.
- The exercise has been held annually since 1994.
- Singapore – Singapore City (Capital) – Singapore dollar (Currency) – Tharman Shanmugaratnam (President) – Lee Hsien Loong (Prime Minister) – Malay (Language)
Daily Current Affairs - September 21, 2023 - Consolidated
- Annual Capacity Building Plan (ACBP) of Department of Fisheries
- ‘Skills On Wheels’ Bus
- 17th International Congress on the Chemistry of Cement
- Revamped Tamil Nadu Startup and Innovation Policy 2023
- Phase 2 of the ‘Promotion of Tribal Products for North East Region’ (PTP-NER 2.0) scheme
- Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation (KALIA) scheme
- Bank of Baroda implemented UPI LITE
- India’s GDP Forecast
- Gujarat government signed five MoUs
- India Global Forum signed MoU with World Governments Summit
- India’s next Ambassador to Mongolia
- CEO of Liberty General Insurance
- Three new members of CCI
- ‘Sikkil’ Neela passed away
- Official Anthem for Men’s Cricket World Cup
- BCCI signed SBI Life as ‘Official Partner’ for a three-year period
- World Alzheimer’s Day
- International Day of Peace
- International Week of the Deaf
- SIMBEX 2023
Do you wish to crack Banking Exams in 2023 ? - Register Now
Take your first step to your DREAM GOVERNMENT JOB
Enquire for Next Batch.