Daily Current Affairs – September 28 2023
Daily Current Affairs - Banking - September 28, 2023
Dear Banking Aspirants,
Prepare for the Daily Current Affairs with Veranda Race who is the pioneer in the Banking Exam Coaching. Current Affairs section is one of the important Scoring section in the Mains of many Banking Exams like SBI PO, SBI CLERK, IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, IBPS RRB PO, IBPS RRB CLERK and multiple Insurance Exams.
Veranda Race is committed to provide Daily Current Affairs for all the days for the students who are preparing for Banking & Insurance Exams.
Check Daily for the Daily Current Affairs and also for the Quizzes to prepare for the upcoming Banking & Insurance Exams in 2023.
Download – LEGEND Monthly Current Affairs Magazine
56th Network Planning Group Meeting
- In the 56th Network Planning Group meeting under PM GatiShakti six project proposals, including four projects of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) and two projects of Ministry of Railways (MoR) with the total project cost of about Rs. 52,000 Crore were assessed.
- The 56th NPG meeting was held under the chairpersonship of Special Secretary, Logistics, Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Smt. Sumita Dawra at Yashobhoomi Convention Center in New Delhi.
- This takes the total number of projects assessed by NPG to 112 with a total value of about Rs 11.53 Lakh Crore, since the launch of PM GatiShakti approach.
- MoRTH presented four road projects worth about Rs. 45000 Crore to NPG and demonstrated adherence to GatiShakti principles.
- The first project proposal is a Greenfield Road located in the State of Gujarat and Maharashtra, that will benefit not only industrial belts in Navsari, Nashik, Ahmednagar districts but also the agriculture sector in the region.
- The second Greenfield Road project is also located in the state of Gujarat, through Banaskantha, Patan, Mahesana, Gandhinagar and Ahmedabad District.
- The third road project proposed is located in the State of Bihar and involves construction of 4 laning of Patna- Arrah-Sasaram corridor under Bharatmala Pariyojna.
- The fourth road project discussed during the meeting is located in Uttar Pradesh with an objective to improve the interstate connectivity among Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh & Uttarakhand.
- During the meeting, two Railway project proposals with a total project cost of about Rs. 6700 Crore were also assessed.
- One Greenfield railway line project is located in Odisha and passes through the districts of Ganjam, Nayagarh, Khandhamal, Boudh, Sambalpur and Angul districts.
- Another railway project proposal is located in the state of Kerala and involves doubling of railway lines.
Northeast’s Mithun got ‘food animal’ tag
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has recognized Mithun as a ‘food animal’.
- This will help farmers and tribal village communities as they can now sell mithun meat for commercial purposes.
- Until now, mithuns and their meat were sold only for very special occasions such as festivals or weddings.
- Mithun (Bos frontalis) is a ruminant species of the Bovidae family found in Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur and Mizoram.
- It is also the state animal of both Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland.
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) – 05/09/2008 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Shri Rajesh Bhushan (Chairman)
Tripura CM Manik Saha launched e-cabinet system
- Tripura Chief Minister Manik Saha has launched the e-cabinet system at the state secretariat to develop digital infrastructure in the state.
- He also felicitated all departments of the state government which have made the e-office system 100 percent effective as part of the initiative to run paperless offices.
- Certificates were handed over to the Director of each department.
- After Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh and Arunachal Pradesh, Tripura is the fourth state to implement the e-cabinet system.
- It is modelled on the e-cabinet system of Uttarakhand.
- Every department is working in mission mode to implement this programme.
- Already out of 94 departments, 41 departments have made e-office system 100 percent effective which is truly commendable.
- Tripura – Agartala (Capital) – Manik Saha (CM) – Satyadev Narayan Arya (Governor) – Bengali, English, Kokborok (Language)
Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the Foundation Stone for Akashvani Dahod FM Relay Station Project
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation Stone for Akashvani Dahod FM Relay Station Project in Gujarat.
- The foundation Stone plaque for the 10 Kilo watt FM Relay Station was unveiled virtually by the Prime Minister along with other projects at an event in Bodeli in the state.
- This station will be set up at an estimated cost of Rs. 11.00 Crore and is strategically located to cover approximately a 55 km radius area, encompassing approximately 75% of the tribal district of Dahod.
- Moreover, this transmitter will also partially cover the neighbouring tribal districts of Madhya Pradesh, including Alirajpur and Jhabua.
- With the launch of the Dahod station, over 25 lakh residents of Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh will gain access to high-quality FM broadcasts.
- This development not only enriches the cultural and informational tapestry of the region but also facilitates better communication and connectivity for the communities it serves.
- Gujarat – Gandhinagar (Capital) – Bhupendrabhai Patel (CM) – Acharya Devvrat (Governor) – Gujarati & Hindi (Language)
Banking and Finance
Poonawalla Fincorp will issue co-branded credit card with IndusInd Bank
- Poonawalla Fincorp Ltd., a Cyrus Poonawalla group-promoted non-banking finance company, said it has received permission from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to issue a co-branded credit card with IndusInd Bank.
- The company plans to introduce this credit card within three months.
- This partnership will enable Poonawalla Fincorp to usher in a new age of flexible and versatile retail credit.
- IndusInd Bank Limited – April 1994 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Sumant Kathpalia (MD & CEO) – “We Make You Feel Richer” (Tagline)
Karnataka Bank will provide doorstep gold loan facility
- Karnataka Bank has partnered with SahiBandhu, an aggregator platform for gold loans backed by the Manipal Group, for launching ‘doorstep gold loan’ facility named ‘KBL-Swarna Bandhu’.
- The bank will be able to provide gold loan services at customer’s doorstep through this product.
- Initially, the product will be available to customers in select centres of the bank, and will be gradually rolled out to all branches.
- SahiBandhu will act as a corporate business correspondent and a lending service provider.
- The collaboration with SahiBandhu aligns with extant guidelines on digital lending and will also help in improving the gold loan portfolio of bank.
- Karnataka Bank – 18/02/1924 (Founded) – Mangalore,Karnataka (HQ) – Sekhar Rao (MD & CEO)– “Your Family Bank Across India” (Tagline)
Agreements and MoUs signed
REC signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Punjab National Bank (PNB)
- State-run REC had signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Punjab National Bank (PNB) for co-financing loans worth ₹55,000 crores for projects in the sectors of power as well as infrastructure and logistics in the next three years.
- REC, which essentially lends to the power sector, has been authorised by the Power Ministry to also lend to the infrastructure sector.
- In FY23, the non-power infrastructure and logistics sector accounted for 32 per cent of the total loan sanctioned by the company.
- Punjab National Bank – 19/05/1894 (Founded) – Dwarka, New Delhi (HQ) – Atul Kumar Goel (MD & CEO) – “The Name You Can Bank Upon” (Tagline)
MoU signed between Ministries of Education and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship and IBM
- Union Minister of Education and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Shri Dharmendra Pradhan presided over the signing of 8 MoUs between agencies of Ministries of Education and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship and IBM.
- Under the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)s curated courses will be provided to empower youth in India with future-ready skills.
- The collaboration will focus on the co-creation of curriculum for skilling learners across school education, higher education, and vocational skills on emerging technologies like AI (including generative AI), cybersecurity, cloud computing and professional development skills.
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship – Dharmendra Pradhan,Union Minister (Rajya Sabha MP,MP) – Rajeev Chandrasekhar,Minister of State (Rajya Sabha MP,Karnataka)
Science and Technology
GeM Sahay 2.0
- The Government E-Marketplace (GeM) will launch GeM Sahay 2.0 for the sellers to provide easy access to loans up to 10 lakh rupees.
- Government is working to make the GeM portal more seamless to bring on board sellers from various categories.
- The loan will be disbursed in a hassle-free manner in 10 minutes and more banks will be couraged to join the initiative.
- GeM Sahay 2.0 is a mobile-based inclusive lending platform enabling sellers to avail loans on acceptance of an order on the GeM platform.
Tata Power Renewable will set up 41 MW captive solar plant in Tamil Nadu
- Tata Power Renewable Energy (TPREL), a subsidiary of Tata Power Company, plans to construct a 41-megawatt (MW) captive solar plant in Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu.
- The facility will serve TP Solar’s upcoming 4.3-gigawatt (GW) greenfield solar cell and module manufacturing unit located in Tirunelveli.
- The solar plant aims to generate 101 million units of electricity annually while offsetting around 72,000 metric tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions.
- The project is expected to be commissioned within 12 months from the signing of the Project Development Agreement.
- To manage the development, operation, and maintenance of this facility, TPREL has established TP Govardhan Creatives.
- TP Solar, also a subsidiary of TPREL, is expected to commence commercial production by the financial year 2024-25.
- Tata Power Renewable Energy (TPREL) – 2007 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Ashish Khanna (President)
RBI deputy governor M Rajeshwar Rao got term extension by one year
- The central government extended the term of M Rajeshwar Rao as the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) Deputy Governor by one year.
- He was appointed as the Deputy Governor of the central bank in October 2020 for a period of three years.
Blue Origin names CEO
- The chief executive officer of Jeff Bezos’s space company Blue Origin, Bob Smith, will step down at the end of the year and be replaced by former Amazon executive Dave Limp.
- Limp, a former senior vice president at Amazon who led the company’s consumer devices unit, will become Blue Origin’s CEO on December 4.
Ranks and Indices
Global Innovation Index 2023
- India has retained its 40th spot in the latest Global Innovation Index 2023 released by the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO).
- The index tracks the innovation ecosystem performance of 132 global economies and the most recent global innovation trends.
- In 2015, India stood at 81st spot and has been rising in the past eight years.
- Switzerland – for a 13th year – ranks first in the index.
- Sweden is now second and the United States on third, followed by the United Kingdom (4th) and Singapore (5th).
- India holds top ranking within the Central and Southern Asia region for Human capital and research (48th), Business sophistication (57th) and Knowledge and technology outputs (22nd).
- Strong indicators include ICT services exports (5th), Venture capital received (6th), Graduates in science and engineering (11th) and Global corporate R&D investors (13th).
MS Swaminathan passed away
- Mankombu Sambasivan Swaminathan aka MS Swaminathan, world renowned agronomist, agricultural scientist and plant geneticist known as father of Green Revolution (1967) passed away at 98.
- The founder of MS Swaminathan Research Foundation, Swaminathan was acclaimed by the TIME magazine as one of the twenty most influential Asians of the 20th century and one of the only three from India, the other two being Mahatma Gandhi and Rabindranath Tagore.
- The United Nations Environment Programme described him as “the Father of Economic Ecology” for his leadership of the ever-green revolution movement in agriculture and by Javier Perez de Cuellar, Secretary General of the United Nations, as “a living legend who will go into the annals of history as a world scientist of rare distinction”.
- Padma Shri (1967)
- Ramon Magsaysay Award (1971)
- Padma Bhushan (1972)
- World Food Prize (1987)
- Padma Vibhushan (1989)
International Day for Universal Access to Information
- International Day for Universal Access to Information is annually observed on September 28.
- On 17 November 2015, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) declared 28 September as International Day for Universal Access to Information.
- UN General Assembly also adopted 28 September 2019 as the International Day for Universal Access to Information.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) – 16/11/1945 (Founded) – Paris, France (HQ) – Audrey Azoulay (Director-General)
World Rabies Day 2023
- World Rabies Day is annually observed on September 28.
- The is celebrated to raise awareness of rabies prevention and the progress being made in the fight against this terrible disease.
- It is also the anniversary of the death of Louis Pasteur.
- World Rabies Day was established by the Global Alliance for Rabies Control in 2007 and later endorsed by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- This year will mark the 17th World Rabies Day.
- Theme – All for 1, One Health for all
- World Health Organization (WHO) – 07/04/1948 (Founded) – Geneva, Switzerland (HQ) – Tedros Adhanom (Director-General)
World Maritime Day
- World Maritime Day is celebrated on the last Thursday in September.
- This year the day falls on September 28.
- The day highlights the importance of maritime safety, security and the marine environment.
- The day was established by the International Maritime Organization (IMO).
- World Maritime Day was observed for the first time on March 17, 1978, to celebrate the establishment of the IMO Convention.
- Theme – “MARPOL at 50 – Our commitment goes on”
- International Maritime Organization – 17/03/1948 (Founded) – London (HQ) – Kitack Lim (Secretary-General)
Daily Current Affairs - September 28, 2023 - Consolidated
- 56th Network Planning Group Meeting
- Northeast’s Mithun got ‘food animal’ tag
- Tripura CM Manik Saha launched e-cabinet system
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the Foundation Stone for Akashvani Dahod FM Relay Station Project
- Poonawalla Fincorp will issue co-branded credit card with IndusInd Bank
- Karnataka Bank will provide doorstep gold loan facility
- REC signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Punjab National Bank (PNB)
- MoU signed between Ministries of Education and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship and IBM
- GeM Sahay 2.0
- Tata Power Renewable will set up 41 MW captive solar plant in Tamil Nadu
- RBI deputy governor M Rajeshwar Rao got term extension by one year
- Blue Origin names CEO
- Global Innovation Index 2023
- MS Swaminathan passed away
- International Day for Universal Access to Information
- World Rabies Day 2023
- World Maritime Day
Do you wish to crack Banking Exams in 2023 ? - Register Now
Take your first step to your DREAM GOVERNMENT JOB
Enquire for Next Batch.