Daily Current Affairs – September 29 2023
Daily Current Affairs - Banking - September 29, 2023
Dear Banking Aspirants,
Prepare for the Daily Current Affairs with Veranda Race who is the pioneer in the Banking Exam Coaching. Current Affairs section is one of the important Scoring section in the Mains of many Banking Exams like SBI PO, SBI CLERK, IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, IBPS RRB PO, IBPS RRB CLERK and multiple Insurance Exams.
Veranda Race is committed to provide Daily Current Affairs for all the days for the students who are preparing for Banking & Insurance Exams.
Check Daily for the Daily Current Affairs and also for the Quizzes to prepare for the upcoming Banking & Insurance Exams in 2023.
Download – LEGEND Monthly Current Affairs Magazine
2-day Workshop on Draft Development and Building Regulations, 2022
- A 2-day Workshop on Draft Development and Building Regulations, 2022 for the National Capital Territory of Delhi was organized by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), the National Standards Body of India on 26-27 September 2023 in New Delhi.
- The objective of the Workshop was to:
- a) Disseminate the Draft Development and Building Regulations prepared by BIS in line with the National Building Code of India 2016 (NBC 2016) as well as leading national and international practices for better, efficient and transparent building regulation.
- b) Bring uniformity in structuring and detailing of provisions in the regulations as well as the key approval processes throughout the country without sacrificing any specific/unique area specific need of the various states/UTs and their concerned bodies.
- c) Pave way to orderly development and ensure safety, sustainability, durability and accessibility in buildings and built environment.
- Shri V. Suresh, Chairman of the National Building Code Sectional Committee, CED 46 and Chairman of the Technical Advisory Committee of the NBC Promotion Project who delivered the Key Note Address during the Workshop, emphasised upon the need for application of the provisions in the Standardized Building Regulations prepared by BIS by the concerned authorities.
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) – 23/12/1986 (Founded) – Old Delhi (HQ) – Pramod Kumar Tiwari (Director General) – Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution (Under)
7th Meeting of the Mission Steering Group (MSG) of National Technical Textiles Mission
- Union Minister of Textiles, Commerce and Industry and Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Shri Piyush Goyal chaired the 7th Meeting of the Mission Steering Group (MSG) of National Technical Textiles Mission in New Delhi.
- Ministry of Textiles approved 18 R&D projects worth ₹46.74 crores across key strategic areas of Geotech, Protech, Indutech, Sustainable Textiles, Sportech, Smart E-Textiles, Meditech segments during the meeting.
- Among these 18 R&D projects, 14 are high value Projects, 3 are Prototype Grant projects and 1 is Ideation Grant project.
- The projects cover different application areas of technical textiles including 1 Projects from Geotech, 2 of Protech, 2 Indutech, 2 Sportech, 5 Sustainable Textiles, 3 Meditech, 3 Smart & E Textiles and 1 Geotextiles were approved.
- The approved projects were led by institutes and research bodies including BTRA, ATIRA, IIT Delhi, IIT Jammu, NIT Jalandhar, IIT Kharagpur, CSIR New Delhi, IIT Madras, among others.
2nd edition of Himalayan Film Festival
- The second edition of Himalayan Film Festival (THFF) had begun in Ladakh.
- Netflix India’s Jaane Jaan directed by Sujoy Ghosh and Ladakhi Short Film Last Days of Summer directed by Stenzin Tankong had announced the opening of the five- day long film festival.
- It was organised by the Department of Information and Public Relations of UT administration and Ladakh Autonomous Hills Development Council Leh.
- The THFF organisers have planned to screen as many as 35 films of short, features, documentaries and Indies from 12 Himalayan states including popular Bollywood films for all age groups.
- Under the theme of “Mountain are Calling”, short film competition is also lineup for screening 15 top films and director of the best three films will be awarded during the Himalayan Film Festival.
- The first edition of the festival was held in 2021.
FSSAI Launched Special Category to Promote Gender Equality In Food Business
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has launched a new provision called the “Special Category” in its online Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS) portal.
- This new category is designed to promote gender equality and equal opportunities for women and transgender entrepreneurs in the food business sector.
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has introduced a new provision called the “Special Category” in its online Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS) portal.
- This new category is designed to promote gender equality and equal opportunities for women and transgender entrepreneurs in the food business sector.
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) – 05/09/2008 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Shri Rajesh Bhushan (Chairman)
India USA seventh 2+2 Intersessional Dialogue
- India-USA 7th 2 + 2 Intersessional Dialogue was held in Washington.
- Underscoring the transformative momentum in the India-US relationship, the two countries held discussions on opportunities to further strengthen interoperability and logistics cooperation.
- The sides also discussed combined maritime engagements in the Indian Ocean Region, as well as expanded cooperation in the space and cyber domains.
- The Indian delegation was led by Additional Secretary in External Affairs Ministry Vani Rao and Joint Secretary in the Defence Ministry Vishwesh Negi.
National School of Drama will set up campus in Tripura
- The Tripura government had allocated a plot of 2.36 acre to the National School of Drama (NSD) to set up a campus in the state.
- The campus will be set up at Ranirbazar in West Tripura district, and a memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed regarding it.
- Tripura – Agartala (Capital) – Manik Saha (CM) – Satyadev Narayan Arya (Governor) – Bengali, English, Kokborok (Language)
Odisha Police launched Cyber Safety Campaign 2023
- Odisha Police launched the Cyber Safety Campaign 2023 with the primary objective of enhancing awareness and educating the public about the multifaceted aspects of cybercrime.
- The campaign was inaugurated with a Curtain Raiser Event held in Bhubaneswar.
- Director General of Police (DGP) Odisha Sunil Kumar Bansal and Arun Kumar Bothra Addl DGP Crime Branch, Odisha who launched a Logo which is a unique emblem symbolizing the essence of cyber safety and security.
- A mascot is an engaging character representing the campaign’s spirit.
- A theme Song was also launched with a catchy tune designed to reinforce key cyber safety messages in a memorable way.
- Odisha – Bhubaneswar (Capital) – Naveen Patnaik (CM) – Ganeshi Lal (Governor) – Odia (Language)
Remission of Duties and Taxes on Exported Products scheme extended
- The Centre extended the tenure of the export-boosting scheme Remission of Duties and Taxes on Exported Products (RoDTEP) for nine more months.
- The scheme has now been extended until June 30, 2024 at the same rates for the existing export items.
- The RoDTEP scheme, which refunds the embedded non-creditable central, state, and local levies paid on inputs to exporters, was due to expire on September 30.
- These taxes were not being refunded but were incurred by the export entities in the process of manufacture and distribution of exported products.
- The scheme, notified on January 1, 2021, replaced the controversial Merchandise Exports from India Scheme (MEIS) after a WTO ruling stated that it violated the provisions of the global trade body by providing export subsidies for a wide range of goods.
- Between January 1, 2021, and March 31, 2023, Rs 27,018 crore was spent towards the scheme.
- During the current financial year, as much as Rs 15,070 crore has been allocated to support 10,610 product lines.
Agreements and MoUs signed
MoUs for investments in Uttarakhand signed in UK
- An MoU for investment worth Rs 2,000 crore was signed with Aager Technology and another for investment worth Rs 1,000 crore with Fira Barcelona were signed during Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami’s current tour to United Kingdom.
- Aager Technology will invest in Lithium battery plants in the state.
- Fira Barcelona is an European group engaged in event management with expertise in organising world-class business fairs.
- Two MoUs were also signed with Ease My Trip to promote Uttarakhand internationally as a tourist destination.
- United Kingdom – London (Capital) – Pound Sterling (Currency) – Charles III (Monarch) – Rishi Sunak (Prime Minister) – English (Language)
NTPC signed pact with 6 kendriya vidyalayas
- The National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) has signed a pact with the Vivekananda Kendra Vidyalaya Arunachal Pradesh Trust (VKVAPT) for infrastructure development in six schools as part of its corporate social responsibility.
- The six schools are Balijan, Sunpura, Jairampur, Banderdewa, Ziro and Kharsang kendriya vidyalayas.
- The agreement was signed in the presence of NTPC’s Bongaigaon-based regional director Partha Mazumder, chief general manager Karunakar Das, general manager (HR) Rajnish Rastogi, VKV secretary Sujata Nayak and joint secretary Rupesh Mathur.
- VKVAPT has been playing a pivotal role in shaping the educational landscape of Arunachal Pradesh.
- The signing of the pact signifies NTPC’s commitment to support education and infrastructure development in the country.
- NTPC Limited (National Thermal Power Corporation Limited) – 07/11/1975 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Gurdeep Singh (Chairman & MD)
Summit and Conference
13th Indo-Pacific Armies Chiefs’ Conference (IPAAC)
- The 13th Indo-Pacific Armies Chiefs Conference (IPACC) convened at the prestigious Manekshaw Centre in New Delhi.
- This significant biennial event, co-hosted by the Indian Army and the US Army Pacific, served as a unifying platform for army chiefs from 30 Indo-Pacific nations.
- The collective aim was to deliberate upon critical aspects of security cooperation, strategic collaboration, and pressing regional concerns.
- United States of America – Washington, D.C. (Capital) – US Dollar (Currency) – Joe Biden (President) – English (Language)
Chief Technology Officer of Bank of Maharashtra
- Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) had appointed Pradeep Kumar Srivastava as its Chief Technology Officer (CTO) effective from September 28, 2023.
- Before joining BoM, Srivastava was Vice President- Lead Enterprise Architect with Barclays Global Technology Centre in Pune.
- Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) – 16/09/1935 (Founded) – Pune, Maharashtra (HQ) – A. S. Rajeev (MD & CEO) – “One Family One Bank” (Tagline)
Chief Financial Officer of Cognizant Technology Solutions
- Cognizant Technology Solutions appointed Jatin Dalal as its Chief Financial Officer effective in December 2023.
- He will replace Jan Siegmund, who intends to retire in early 2024.
- Dalal joins the US-based software company with a large presence in India, from Wipro where since April 2015 he had served as Chief Financial Officer.
- Cognizant Technology Solutions – 26/01/1994 (Founded) – Teaneck, New Jersey, USA (HQ) – Ravi Kumar Singisetti (CEO)
Tamilnad Mercantile Bank MD & CEO resigns
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Ltd. (TMB) announced that its Managing Director and CEO S. Krishnan has tendered his resignation citing personal reasons.
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Ltd. (TMB) – 11/05/1921 (Founded) – Thoothukudi (HQ)
Ranks and Indices
Kantar’s BrandZ India ranking
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has retained the top spot as India’s most valuable brand, with a value of $42.96 billion, according to Kantar’s BrandZ India ranking.
- India’s top 75 brands have a combined brand value of $379 billion, a decline of 4% from 2022.
- However, Indian brands have remained resilient in comparison to global peers, who have seen a 20% fall in value.
- Other than TCS, HDFC Bank ($33.61 billion), Infosys ($24.17 billion), Airtel ($22.51 billion) and State Bank of India ($14.48 billion) have held on to their top four positions.
- Meanwhile, HCLTech ($9.36 billion), a new entrant to the top 10 list, has displaced LIC, which has slipped to the 11th place in 2023.
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) – 1968 (founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Natarajan Chandrasekaran (Chairman)
Report by CRISIL
- Bank credit growth is likely to moderate to 13-13.5% this fiscal as compared with a growth of 15.9% reported in last fiscal according to a report by CRISIL.
- The rating agency said bank credit would however improve a tad to 13.5-14% in fiscal 2025 as economic growth picks up.
- The moderation this fiscal among other factors is attributed to expected decline in gross domestic product (GDP) growth this fiscal to 6% on-year from 7.2% last fiscal, which will impact overall credit growth.
- Within overall bank credit, growth in wholesale credit (60% of overall credit) is likely to slow to 11-11.5% this fiscal from a decadal high of 15%.
- On the other hand, retail credit (28% of overall credit), is expected to continue to grow at a healthy clip of 19-20%, similar to last fiscal.
International Tennis Hall of Fame
- The Indian tennis icon Leander Paes, who emerged as the first Asian man to be nominated for the International Tennis Hall of Fame in the player category.
- The multiple Grand Slam winner was one of the six nominees announced for the Class of 2024.
- He will be competing with Ana Ivanovic, Carlos Moya, Flavia Pennetta, Cara Black and Daniel Nestor in the Player Category.
- In 2019, Chinese ace Li Na – who won the women’s singles title at Australian Open and French Open – became the first Asian player to get nominated to the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
World Heart Day 2023
- World Heart Day is annually observed on September 29.
- The day is celebrated to raise awareness about heart disease and preventive measures that can help prevent and manage cardiovascular diseases.
- World Health Day was first founded in 1999 with the World Heart Federation (WHF) collaborating with the World Health Organisation (WHO).
- Originally, World Heart Day was observed on the last Sunday of September, with the first celebration taking place on September 24, 2000.
- Theme – Use Heart, Know Heart
- World Heart Federation (WHF) – 1978 (Founded) – Geneva (HQ) – Prof. Daniel Piñeiro (President)
Indian Army moves to buy ₹6000 crores artillery guns from Indian companies
- The Indian Army has moved a ₹6,000 crore proposal to acquire next generation guns which will be developed and manufactured by domestic companies and will be the mainstay component of its artillery force.
- The new towed gun system (TGS) will be lighter and more versatile than the current artillery guns and will also be more feature-packed.
- The army has moved a proposal to acquire 400 advanced 155mm/52 calibre guns from the Indian industry.
- The total requirement for these advanced guns is estimated to be 1,200, making it a significant opportunity for domestic firms.
- Defence companies such as Larsen and Toubro, Tata Defence and Bharat Forge are expected to compete for the order once the defence ministry approves the purchase.
- The TGS will be lighter and more advanced than the advanced towed artillery gun system (ATAGS), developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation, which are in the process of acquisition.
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) – 1958 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Dr Sameer V Kamath (Chairman)
2-day seminar on Indian Navy's Vision- 2047
- A two-day seminar on the Indian Navy’s Vision- 2047 was held at Visakhapatnam by the Maritime Warfare Centre under the aegis of Eastern Naval Command.
- The seminar was inaugurated by ENC Vice Admiral, Flag Officer, Commanding-in-Chief, Rajesh Pendharkar.
- A number of eminent speakers from academia, retired diplomats, scientists, and serving, retired Naval officers delivered papers during the seminar.
- A compendium of papers was released on culmination and the proceedings were sealed in a time capsule to be opened on 16 Aug 2047.
- Eastern Naval Command – 01/03/1968 (Active)- Visakhapatnam (HQ) – Vice Admiral Rajesh Pendharkar, AVSM, VSM (FOC-in-C)
Daily Current Affairs - September 29, 2023 - Consolidated
- 2-day Workshop on Draft Development and Building Regulations, 2022
- 7th Meeting of the Mission Steering Group (MSG) of National Technical Textiles Mission
- 2nd edition of Himalayan Film Festival
- FSSAI Launched Special Category to Promote Gender Equality In Food Business
- India USA seventh 2+2 Intersessional Dialogue
- National School of Drama will set up campus in Tripura
- Odisha Police launched Cyber Safety Campaign 2023
- Remission of Duties and Taxes on Exported Products scheme extended
- MoUs for investments in Uttarakhand signed in UK
- NTPC signed pact with 6 kendriya vidyalayas
- 13th Indo-Pacific Armies Chiefs’ Conference (IPAAC)
- Chief Technology Officer of Bank of Maharashtra
- Chief Financial Officer of Cognizant Technology Solutions
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank MD & CEO resigns
- Kantar’s BrandZ India ranking
- Report by CRISIL
- International Tennis Hall of Fame
- World Heart Day 2023
- Indian Army moves to buy ₹6000 crores artillery guns from Indian companies
- 2-day seminar on Indian Navy’s Vision- 2047
Do you wish to crack Banking Exams in 2023 ? - Register Now
Take your first step to your DREAM GOVERNMENT JOB
Enquire for Next Batch.