Direction: Choose the best option that completes the question.
1) Who _____ Mr Sanchez to the airport yesterday?
2) Where in Singapore _____ you live?
3) They first met when they _____ for a big company in Madrid.
a) was working
b) have worked
c) were working
4) Sandra told me she really _____ the party last week.
5) What _____ the weather like on your holiday?
c) was being
6) I rang home just as the train _____ into the station.
b) has got
c) was getting
7) _____ Peter go skiing with you last year?
8) I didn’t _____ to the swimming pool yesterday.
9) When I was at school, I _____ in the choir.
10) Was John waiting for you when you got to the station?
a) Yes, I was.
b) No, he didn’t.
c) Yes, he was.
11) Our holiday villa _____ been cleaned, so I rang the owners to
12) We missed the first part of the film because it _____ by the time we
got to the cinema.
a) was starting
b) had started
13) My car wouldn’t start, but luckily Joanne _____ me a lift to the
c) had given
14) I didn’t recognise my old school friend because she _____ so much.
a) have changed
b) had changed
c) was changed
15) I _____ French at school, but I’m not really very good at it.
c) had studied
16) They were excited about their holiday because they _____ abroad
a) had never been
c) had ever been
17) Did you have a good time in Barcelona?
a) Yes, I had.
b) Yes, I did.
c) Yes, I have.
18) I had a sandwich in the garden and then I _____ back to the office.
b) have gone
c) had gone
19) I felt nervous because I _____ a speech in public before.
a) have never given
b) never gave
c) had never given
20) When we got back from the shop, we found that someone _____ our car
c) had broken
21) Before they built the flats, that’s where the old garage used _____ .
a) to be
c) to being
22) I _____ to take much exercise, but now I go to the gym regularly.
a) don’t use
b) am not used
c) didn’t use
23) Before I had an internet connection, I used to _____ to the library
two or three times a week.
24) I remember my grandfather as a very kind man who _____ never lose his
temper or be impatient.
25) I’d rather you _____ smoke inside the house, if that’s OK with you.
26) Is it midnight already? It’s time we _____ home.
27) _____ to live in France?
a) Did you use
b) Have you used
c) Were you used
28) When he was young, he _____ play football for hours.
a) would to
b) use to
c) used to
29) Before email, people _____ write a lot more letters.
a) use to
b) used to
c) were used to
30) We _____ skiing last winter.
a) would go
c) used to go
1. (b) 2. (c) 3. (c) 4. (b) 5. (a) 6. (c) 7. (c) 8. (a) 9. (b) 10. (c) 11. (c) 12. (b) 13. (a) 14. (b) 15. (b) 16. (a) 17. (b) 18. (a) 19. (c) 20. (c) 21. (a) 22. (c) 23. (a) 24. (c) 25. (b) 26. (c) 27. (a) 28. (c) 29. (b) 30. (b)