Daily Current Affairs – April 25, 2023
Daily Current Affairs - Banking - April 25, 2023
Dear Banking Aspirants,
Prepare for the Daily Current Affairs with Veranda Race who is the pioneer in the Banking Exam Coaching. Current Affairs section is one of the important Scoring section in the Mains of many Banking Exams like SBI PO, SBI CLERK, IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, IBPS RRB PO, IBPS RRB CLERK and multiple Insurance Exams.
Veranda Race is committed to provide Daily Current Affairs for all the days for the students who are preparing for Banking & Insurance Exams.
Check Daily for the Daily Current Affairs and also for the Quizzes to prepare for the upcoming Banking & Insurance Exams in 2023.
Download – LEGEND Monthly Current Affairs Magazine
Shri Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated infrastructure projects worth Rs 148 crore to augment capacity in Chennai & Kamarajar Ports
- Union Minister of Ports, Shipping & Waterways and Ayush Shri Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated major infrastructure projects in Chennai, Tamil Nadu to augment the capacity of Chennai and Kamarajar ports in the state.
- The projects worth more than ₹148 crores aim at boosting the capacity of Chennai and Kamarajar ports.
- The Union Minister also underlined the ongoing discussion between India and Russia to open up ‘Chennai-Vladivostok Maritime Corridor’ in order to bolster the maritime trade between the two countries.
- A bunker berth at Bharathi Dock, Goods Shed yard at Jolarpet and 40 KLD (Kilo Litres per day) sewage treatment plant was also inaugurated at Chennai port with more than ₹55 crores.
- The 182 m Bunker berth Project, funded under the visionary Sagarmala scheme of Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways (MoPSW), is worth ₹50.25 crore.
- This will enable a capacity addition of 1 MMTPA (Million Metric Tonnes Per Annum) and will also handle Bunker Tankers up to 10,000 DWT.
- Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways – Sarbananda Sonowal, Union Minister (Rajya Sabha MP, Assam) – Shripad Yesso Naik, Minister of State (North Goa) & Shantanu Thakur, Minister of State (Bangaon,West Bengal)
Centre conducted first-ever census of water bodies across the country
- Ministry of Jal Shakti had conducted the first-ever census of water bodies across the nation.
- The census provides a comprehensive inventory of India’s water resources, including natural and man-made water bodies like ponds and lakes.
- In the census, over 24.24 lakh water bodies have been enumerated in the country out of which more than 23 lakh water bodies are in rural areas and nearly 69,000 are in urban areas.
- The top five States in terms of number of water bodies are West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha and Assam which constitute around 63 per cent of the total water bodies in the country.
- Ministry of Jal Shakti – Gajendra Singh Shekhawat,Union Minister (Jodhpur,Rajasthan) – Prahlad Singh Patel,Minister of State (Damoh,MP) & Bisweshwar Tudu,Minister of State (Mayurbhanj,Odisha)
- The Prime Minister has urged everyone to visit the Indiahandmade.com website and support the Vocal for Local movement.
- The website acts a one-stop-shop for the country’s handloom and handicraft heritage.
India launched Operation Kaveri to evacuate stranded citizens from war-hit Sudan
- India had started ‘Operation Kaveri’ to evacuate its nationals from conflict-torn Sudan, Minister of External Affairs S. Jaishankar.
- According to available information around 3,000 Indians are stuck in various parts of Sudan, including capital Khartoum and in distant provinces like Darfur.
- Sudan – Khartoum (Capital) – Sudanese pound (Currency) – Abdel Fattah al-Burhan (Chairman) (Transitional Sovereignty Council) – Osman Hussein (Prime Minister) – Arabic & English (Language)
‘India-built Mongolia refinery by 2025’
- Mongolia’s first oil refinery, built and funded with Indian assistance, will be completed by 2025, country’s Ambassador Dambajav Ganbold.
- The first stage of Mongol Oil Refinery, built with a $1.2 billion Indian soft loan, will be completed at the end of this year.
- Mongolia – Ulaanbaatar (Capital) – Tögrög (Currency) – Ukhnaagiin Khürelsükh (President) – Luvsannamsrain Oyun-Erdene (Prime Minister) – Mongolian (Language)
Tamil Nadu’s Manamadurai pottery got GI tag
- Manamadurai in Sivagangai district is known for pottery making.
- The Manamadurai pottery recently earned a Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
- Tamil Nadu – Chennai (Capital) – MK Stalin (CM) – RN Ravi (Governor) – Tamil (Language)
PM Modi laid foundation stone and inaugurated projects worth over Rs 17000 crore on National Panchayati Raj Day
- Prime Minister laid the foundation stone and inaugurated projects worth more than 17 thousand crores in Madhya Pradesh.
- He virtually attended the housewarming ceremony of four lakh 11 thousand beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana at the function.
- He also inaugurated the integrated e-Gram Swaraj and GeM portal for public procurement at the panchayat level.
- The objective of this project is to enable Panchayats to market their goods and services through GeM.
- He also launched the campaign “Joint steps towards development”.
- He also handed over around 35 lakh Swamitva Property Cards to the beneficiaries.
- With the handing over of these cards, about one crore 25 lakh property cards have been distributed under this scheme in the country.
- He also laid the foundation stone and inaugurate various railway projects worth about two thousand 300 crore rupees.
- He also inaugurated the redevelopment of Gwalior station and flag off three trains.
- He also laid the foundation stone of five projects of the Jal Jeevan Mission worth about seven thousand 853 crore rupees.
- Around 9.5 lakh families of more than four thousand villages will be benefitted from these schemes.
- Madhya Pradesh – Bhopal (Capital) – Shivraj Singh Chouhan (CM) – Mangubhai C. Patel (Governor) – Hindi (Language)
Banking and Finance
Canara Bank had partnered with Reserve Bank of India innovation hub
- Canara Bank, in collaboration with Reserve Bank Innovation Hub (RBIH), has announced the launch of “Digitalised Submission of Form 15G/15H” as one of customer friendly services adding to our pursuit of “Customer Delight”.
- Form 15G (Individual and HUF) and Form 15H (Individual-Senior Citizen) are self-declaration forms that an individual submits to the bank requesting not to deduct TDS on interest income as their income is below the basic exemption limit.
- For this, providing PAN is compulsory.
- RBIH (Reserve Bank Innovation Hub) identified the issue of elders who unfamiliar with online banking are standing in queue, talked with numerous banks for prospective solutions, and then conceptualised and prepared a blueprint to address the aforementioned issue.
- The proposed solution made use of technologies that our older residents were already familiar with, as well as an OMNI-channel approach.
- All depositors, including senior persons, can now conveniently submit their Tax Waiver forms through SMS and Website (using their registered cellphone number), at any time and from any location.
- Canara Bank – 01/07/1906 (Founded) – Bangalore (HQ) – K Satyanarayana Raju (MD & CEO) – “Together We Can”
Business and Economy
Tata Motors tied up with Kendriya Police Kalyan Bhandar
- Tata Motors had tied up with Kendriya Police Kalyan Bhandar (KPKB) to offer its vehicles at special rates to more than 34 lakh police personnel across the country.
- Currently, KPKB has 119 Master Canteens which act as distribution centres and 1,778 subsidiary canteens which sell products to the troops and families, serving more than 34 lakh personnel from central and state police departments.
- The entity caters to serving and retired personnel of various organisation like Railway Protection Force (RPF), Intelligence Bureau (IB), Special Protection Group (SPG), National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), National Investigation Agency (NIA), Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
- It also serves Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), Border Security Force (BSF), Assam Rifles (AR) and all state police organisation personnel.
- Tata Motors Limited – 1945 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Natarajan Chandrasekaran (Chairman)
Science and Technology
Labour and Employment Minister Bhupender Yadav launched new features on eShram portal
- Labour and Employment Minister Bhupender Yadav launched new features on the eShram portal aimed at enhancing its utility for unorganised workers in New Delhi.
- The portal, which registers workers, will now enable them to connect with employment opportunities, skilling, apprenticeships, pension schemes, digital skilling and states’ schemes.
- A feature that captures family details of migrant workers has also been added to provide access to child education and women-centric schemes for those who have migrated with family.
- A new feature has been introduced to share data of construction workers registered on eShram with the respective Building and Other Construction Workers’ Welfare Board to ensure they have access to relevant schemes.
- The government has also launched a Data Sharing Portal for sharing eShram data with state and union territory governments.
- Ministry of Labour & Employment Bhupender Yadav,Cabinet Minister (Rajya Sabha MP,Rajasthan) – Rameshwar Teli,Minister of State (Dibrugarh,Assam)
Acquisitions and Mergers
Axis Bank, HDFC Bank invested in IPO-bound GoDigit’s life insurance business
- GoDigit Life, the life insurance business of GoDigit Insurance has raised equity funding from two major private sector lenders Axis Bank and HDFC Bank.
- Both banks have signed definitive agreements with GoDigit Life Insurance to invest around Rs 70 crore each over two tranches.
- The first tranche of Rs 10.9 crore has already been infused.
- The two banks have will acquire around 9.9% of the life insurance company, taking their total shareholding to almost 20%.
- Axis Bank – 03/12/1993 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Amitabh Chaudhry (MD & CEO) – “Badhti Ka Naam Zindagi” (Tagline)
- HDFC Bank – August 1994 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Sashidhar Jagdishan (CEO) – “We Understand Your World” (Tagline)
Uday Kotak will take on non-executive role post his term as MD, CEO
- Uday Kotak, MD and CEO of Kotak Mahindra Bank, will be taking on a non-executive director role on the board of the private sector lender, following the end of his term as the head of the bank at the end of 2023.
- Kotak, who was reappointed as the MD and CEO of Kotak Bank for three years in January 2021, is set to complete 15 years on December 31, 2023.
- He has been heading the bank since its inception as an NBFC in 1985, and later as a commercial bank 2003 onwards.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank – 21/11/1985 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Uday Kotak (MD & CEO) – “Let’s Make Money Simple” (Tagline)
Md. Sahabuddin took oath as the 22nd President of Bangladesh
- Veteran freedom fighter, jurist and politician Mohammed Shahabuddin was sworn in as the 22nd President of Bangladesh by replacing Mohammad Abdul Hamid in Dhaka.
- He is a Bangladeshi jurist and freedom fighter.
- Bangladesh – Dhaka (Capital) – Taka (Currency) – Mohammed Shahabuddin (President) – Sheikh Hasina (Prime Minister) – Bengali (Language)
Rajesh Kumar Singh took charge as new DPIIT secretary
- Senior IAS officer Rajesh Kumar Singh assumed the charge of secretary in the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT).
- Singh has replaced Anurag Jain, who was appointed as secretary in the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Before DPIIT, Singh was serving as Secretary in the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying.
- Ministry of Commerce and Industry – Piyush Goyal,Cabinet Minister (Rajya Sabha MP,Maharashtra) – Anupriya Patel, Minister of State (Mirzapur,UP), Som Parkash, Minister of State (Hoshiarpur,Punjab)
Trends in World Military Expenditure, 2022
- World military expenditure rose by 3.7 per cent in real terms in 2022, to reach a record high of $2240 billion.
- Global spending grew by 19 per cent over the decade 2013–22 and has risen every year since 2015.
- Russia’s invasion of Ukraine was a major driver of the growth in spending in 2022.
- Military expenditure in Europe rose by 13 per cent during the year, which was the largest annual increase in total European spending in the post-cold war era.
- The exceptional growth was largely accounted for by substantial increases in Russian and Ukrainian spending, but many other European countries boosted their military budgets in 2022.
- Spending increases in parts of Asia and Oceania also contributed to the global growth in 2022.
- This SIPRI Fact Sheet examines key regional and national military expenditure data for 2022 and trends over the decade 2013–22.
- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) – 06/05/1966 (Founded) – Stockholm, Sweden (HQ) – Kjell Stefan Löfven (Chairman)
Sumit Nagal – 347 (moved up 19 spots)
Mukund Sasikumar – 381 (moved down one spot)
Ramkumar Ramanathan – 405 (moved down one place)
Prajnesh Gunneswaran – 446
Rohan Bopanna – 13
Yuki Bhambri – 76 (jumped three spots)
Saketh Myneni – 78 (jumped two spots)
Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan – 84 (moved down one spot)
N. Sriram Balaji – 86
Anirudh Chandrasekar – 129 (moved down one spot)
Arjun Kadhe – 132 (moved down three spots)
Ramkumar Ramanathan – 144 (moved down six spots)
N. Vijay Sundar Prashanth – 148 (moved down three places)
Divij Sharan – 151 (slipped 10 spots)
Purav Raja – 162 (slipped nine spots)
SBI Life Insurance and Rajasthan Royals franchise unveiled a larger-than-life 'helmet' installation at Sawai Mansingh Stadium, Jaipur
- SBI Life Insurance, one of India’s most trusted private life insurance companies in India and Rajasthan Royals the cricketing franchise from the state of Rajasthan, inaugurated an enormously larger-than-life ‘helmet’ installation at Sawai Mansingh Stadium, the franchise’s home ground in Jaipur.
- The helmet installation, measuring an impressive 15 feet in height and 18 feet in width, prominently placed right at the entrance of the stadium is a visual treat for the visiting cricket fans and also the larger populace around the city.
- SBI Life Insurance one of the most trusted life insurance companies in India, was incorporated in October 2000 and is registered with the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) in March 2001.
Union Sports Minister chaired ‘Chintan Shivir’ of Ministers of Youth Affairs & Sports of States and UTs in Manipur
- Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS) Shri Anurag Singh Thakur chaired the 2 day ‘Chintan Shivir’ of Ministers of Youth Affairs & Sports of States and UTs in Imphal, Manipur.
- Last year in June 2022, the Union Minister, Shri Anurag Singh Thakur had chaired a two-days National Conference of the Ministers of Youth Affairs and Sports of States and Union Territories in Kevadia, Gujarat.
- Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports – Anurag Singh Thakur,Union Minister (Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh) – Nisith Pramanik,Minister of State (Cooch Behar, West Bengal)
Cricket-Sydney Cricket Ground gates named after Tendulkar, Lara
- A set of gates at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) have been named in honour of Sachin Tendulkar and Brian Lara to mark the Indian’s 50th birthday and the 30th anniversary of the West Indies batsman’s innings of 277 at the ground.
- Visiting players would pass through the gates on their way to the pitch from the away dressing room in the Members Pavilion.
- Home players access the field via gates named after Australian great Don Bradman.
- Australia – Canberra (Capital) – Australian dollar (Currency) – Charles III (Monarch) – Anthony Albanese (Prime Minister) – English (Language)
International Day of Multilateralism and Diplomacy for Peace
- International Day of Multilateralism and Diplomacy for Peace is observed annually on April 24 by the United Nations Organization (UNO).
- The Day acknowledges the use of multilateral decision making and diplomacy in achieving peaceful resolutions to conflicts among nations.
- The organization created this day on December 12, 2018.
- First Observed in 2019.
- United Nations (UN) – 24/10/1945 (Founded) – New York (HQ) – António Guterres (Secretary General) – 193 member states & 2 observer states
Daily Current Affairs - April 25, 2023 - Consolidated
- Shri Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated infrastructure projects worth Rs 148 crore to augment capacity in Chennai & Kamarajar Ports
- Centre conducted first-ever census of water bodies across the country
- Indiahandmade.com website
- India launched Operation Kaveri to evacuate stranded citizens from war-hit Sudan
- ‘India-built Mongolia refinery by 2025’
- Tamil Nadu’s Manamadurai pottery got GI tag
- PM Modi laid foundation stone and inaugurated projects worth over Rs 17000 crore on National Panchayati Raj Day
- Canara Bank had partnered with Reserve Bank of India innovation hub
- Tata Motors tied up with Kendriya Police Kalyan Bhandar
- Labour and Employment Minister Bhupender Yadav launched new features on eShram portal
- Axis Bank, HDFC Bank invested in IPO-bound GoDigit’s life insurance business
- Uday Kotak will take on non-executive role post his term as MD, CEO
- Sahabuddin took oath as the 22nd President of Bangladesh
- Rajesh Kumar Singh took charge as new DPIIT secretary
- Trends in World Military Expenditure, 2022
- ATP Rankings
- SBI Life Insurance and Rajasthan Royals franchise unveiled a larger-than-life ‘helmet’ installation at Sawai Mansingh Stadium, Jaipur
- Union Sports Minister chaired ‘Chintan Shivir’ of Ministers of Youth Affairs & Sports of States and UTs in Manipur
- Cricket-Sydney Cricket Ground gates named after Tendulkar, Lara
- International Day of Multilateralism and Diplomacy for Peace
Do you wish to crack Banking Exams in 2023 ? - Register Now
Take your first step to your DREAM GOVERNMENT JOB
Enquire for Next Batch.