Daily Current Affairs – May 17, 2023
Daily Current Affairs - Banking - May 17, 2023
Dear Banking Aspirants,
Prepare for the Daily Current Affairs with Veranda Race who is the pioneer in the Banking Exam Coaching. Current Affairs section is one of the important Scoring section in the Mains of many Banking Exams like SBI PO, SBI CLERK, IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, IBPS RRB PO, IBPS RRB CLERK and multiple Insurance Exams.
Veranda Race is committed to provide Daily Current Affairs for all the days for the students who are preparing for Banking & Insurance Exams.
Check Daily for the Daily Current Affairs and also for the Quizzes to prepare for the upcoming Banking & Insurance Exams in 2023.
Download – LEGEND Monthly Current Affairs Magazine
Union Minister Hardeep S Puri launches mega campaign ‘Meri LiFE, Mera Swachh Shehar
- Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep S Puri launched his Ministry’s mega campaign ‘Meri LiFE, Mera Swachh Shehar’, in New Delhi.
- This campaign aims to champion, Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle (RRR) concept of waste management.
- Under this nationwide campaign, RRR Centres or one-stop collection centres will be set up where citizens can give their used clothes, shoes, old books, toys and plastic to be reused or recycled.
- The RRR Centres are scheduled to be launched nationwide on the 20th of May 2023 and will serve as a one-stop solution for citizens, institutions, and commercial enterprises to deposit unused or used plastic items, clothes, shoes, footwear, books, and toys.
- After collection, these items will be given to different stakeholders to be refurbished for reuse or would be made into new products, thus truly taking forward the Government’s vision of a circular economy.
- The Meri LiFE, Mera Swachh Shehar will culminate on the 5th of June with the Pledge for LiFE, which will be undertaken by everyone on the occasion of World Environment Day as well as large-scale cleanliness drives across all cities.
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs – Hardeep Singh Puri,Cabinet Minister (Rajya Sabha MP,UP) – Kaushal Kishore, Minister of State (Mohanlalganj,UP)
- The 3rd Energy Transitions Working Group Meeting (ETWG) under India’s G20 Presidency held in Mumbai.
- The six priority areas, outlined under India’s G20 Presidency, include Energy transition through addressing technology gaps, Low-cost financing for energy transition, Energy security and diversified supply chains, Energy efficiency industrial low carbon transitions and responsible consumption, Fuels for Future and Universal access to clean energy and just, affordable, and inclusive energy transition pathway.
- On the second day of the ETWG meeting, India’s G-20 Sherpa Amitabh Kant addressed an International Seminar virtually titled, ‘Small Modular Reactors for Clean Energy Transition’.
- Mr. Kant said that the nuclear energy can help in mitigating the Climate change challenges.
- Another seminar on Off-Shore Wind was organised in which Secretary, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy B S Bhalla said that off shore wind is emerging as a significant sector and the world is acknowledging it as a robust solution for delivering clean and affordable power.
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated the exhibition titled “Sustain: the Craft Idiom” at Kala Bhoomi in Bhubaneswar on the sideline of the 2nd G20 Culture Working Group meeting.
- The exhibition was inaugurated in the presence of Union Minister for Culture G Kishan Reddy and Minister of State for Home Affairs Nityanand Rai.
- The theme of the exhibition is reflective of one of the priorities of the Culture Working Group (CWG) – ‘Harnessing Living Heritage for a Sustainable Future,’.
Tomar inaugurated integrated biological control lab at NIPHM
- Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated an integrated biological control laboratory (BC-Lab) at Hyderbad-based National Institute of Plant Health Management (NIPHM).
- The inauguration of this facility is a significant milestone in the development of chemical-free sustainable agriculture in India.
- The facility will help the extension functionaries to promote non-chemical options of pest management in agricultural and horticultural crops.
- Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare – Narendra Singh Tomar,Cabinet Minister (Morena,UP) – Shobha Karandlaje,Minister of State (Udupi Chikmagalur,Karnataka), Kailash Choudhary, Minister of State (Barmer,Rajasthan)
Gram Vikas Yojana Distribution program organised under Chairman KVIC in Hapur, Uttar Pradesh
- Gram Vikas Yojana Distribution program under Chairman of the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) Shri Manoj Kumar was organized in Nanpur village of Garh Mukteshwar tehsil, Hapur, Uttar Pradesh conducted by the KVIC’s Divisional office Meerut.
- In this program, as part of the Honey Mission, 30 beekeepers were provided with 300 bee boxes and bee colonies.
- Under the Kumhar Sashaktikaran Scheme, 100 potters were given electric pottery wheels, and 75 leather artisans were provided with footwear repairing toolkits.
- The Divisional office of KVIC in Meerut covers 25 districts from 6 divisions of Uttar Pradesh.
- There are a total of 415 registered Khadi institutions in this office.
- Through these institutions, employment is being provided to 1,03,787 weavers, spinners, and other artisans.
- In the year 2022-23, Khadi institutions produced Khadi worth around Rs. 29,996 lakhs and achieved sales of approximately Rs. 47,385 lakhs.
- Furthermore, under the Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP), 10,960 units have been established in the last three years, providing employment to around 87,680 people.
- Uttar Pradesh – Lucknow (Capital) – Yogi Adityanath (CM) – Anandiben Patel (Governor) – Hindi (Language)
Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated 6 new buildings of North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda & Homoeopathy at Shillong
- Union Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterways and Ayush, Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated six new buildings as part of the Project II of North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda & Homoeopathy (NEIAH) to expand capacity.
- The cost of the construction of these new buildings is estimated at more than Rs 60 crore.
- Ministry of Ayush – Sarbananda Sonowal,Union Minister (Rajya Sabha MP,Assam) – Dr. Mahendra Munjpara,Minister of State (Surendranagar,Gujarat)
'YSR Matsyakara Bharosa' scheme
- The Andhra Pradesh government disbursed Rs 124 crore into the bank accounts of 1.2 lakh fishermen families under the ‘YSR Matsyakara Bharosa’ scheme as financial assistance during the breeding season between April 15 and June 14 when they refrain from venturing to sea.
- Every year during the marine fishing ban period, the coastal state restricts fishermen from going into the Bay of Bengal to fish for enabling the fishes to breed, lay eggs and multiply.
- Besides the aid of Rs 10,000 per family under the programme that is into its fifth year now, the Chief Minister also formally credited Rs 108 crore into the bank accounts of over 23,000 fishermen from Konaseema district who lost their livelihood due to pipeline works taken up by public sector unit ONGC.
- Till now, the government has deposited a total of Rs 538 crore under the ‘YSR Matsyakara Bharosa’ scheme to the families in five years.
- Andhra Pradesh – Amaravati (Capital) – Y. S. Jagan Mohan Reddy (CM) – S. Abdul Nazeer (Governor) – Telugu (Language)
Kerala launched welfare fund for workers under employment guarantee scheme
- In a first in the country, the Kerala government launched a welfare fund for Mahatma Gandhi Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) workers in the State.
- Launching the initiative, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said the workers who have completed the age of 60 will be entitled for pension under the fund which will also provide financial assistance for medical treatment, education, marriage, among other benefits.
- The workers need to pay a nominal monthly amount of Rs 50 as contribution to the fund and the government will also contribute an equal amount.
- For those who have paid the contributions for ten or more years, their families will get the benefits in case of beneficiary’s death.
- Kerala – Thiruvananthapuram (Capital) – Pinarayi Vijayan (CM) – Arif Mohammad Khan (Governor) – Malayalam (Language)
Himachal CM launched HimCare scheme for jail inmates
- Chief minister (CM) Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu introduced the Himcare scheme for jail inmates, by providing Himcare cards to the prisoners at Model Central Jail Kanda in Shimla.
- The initiative aims to cover the cost of premiums for inmates, easing their financial burden during their time in prison.
- The launch also included the Integrated STI, HIV, TB, Hepatitis (ISHTH) campaign in prisons and other closed settings at Kanda Jail, which will screen and treat inmates across the state.
- The chief minister said registration of inmates under the scheme has been initiated and 100% would be achieved shortly.
- The state government has given legal backing to the Mukhya Mantri Sukh Aashray Scheme, which provides comprehensive support to orphaned children up to 27 years of age.
- This includes covering their education and hostel expenses, providing them with a pocket allowance of ₹4,000 and offering financial assistance to construct homes.
- Himachal Pradesh – Shimla (Summer), Dharamshala (Winter) (Capital) – Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu (CM) – Shiv Pratap Shukla (Governor) –Hindi (Language)
Banking and Finance
RuPay goes live on CVV-less payments for tokenized cards
- RuPay has now introduced the CVV (Card Verification Value) free payment experience for its debit, credit and prepaid cardholders who have tokenized their cards on the merchant application or webpage, National Payments Corporations of India.
- This new CVV less experience ensures that the cardholder will not have to reach out to their wallet or remember any card details, if they have saved (tokenized) their card on the e-commerce merchant which supports this feature.
- They will just have to enter the OTP or their device will auto-populate the OTP during the domestic e-commerce transaction and the payment will be done.
- Tokenization is a simple technology to secure card transactions without sharing clear or real card details with the merchants.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had made it mandatory for all credit and debit card data used in online, point-of-sale, and in-app transactions to be replaced with unique tokens.
- This added layer of security by way of tokenisation is expected to enhance users’ digital payment experience.
- National Payments Corporation of India – 2008 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Dilip Asbe (MD & CEO)
World Bank grant to help set up integrated road safety enforcement system in Shimla, Nurpur
- The World Bank has approved a grant of Rs 51 crore to set up an integrated road safety enforcement system in Shimla and Nurpur police districts and develop the Palampur-Sheela chowk in Kangra as a “safe corridor”.
- For the first phase of the project, Shimla and Nurpur have been selected and a sum of Rs 42 crore will be spent on the twin police districts to strengthen their emergency response systems, Director General of Police (DGP) Sanjay Kundu.
- World Bank – December 1944 (Founded) – Washington DC (HQ) – David Malpass (President)
Science and Technology
Government launched Citizen Centric Portal, Sanchar Saathi to block and trace lost mobile phones
- Union Minister for Communications Ashwini Vaishnaw launched a Citizen Centric Portal named Sanchar Saathi Portal at a function in New Delhi through which mobile users can now track and block their lost mobile phones.
- The Sanchar Saathi Portal is an initiative of Department of Telecommunications.
- It empowers the citizens by allowing them to know the mobile connections issued in their names, get the connections not required by them disconnected and to block and trace the lost mobile phones.
- Ministry of Communications and Information Technology – Ashwini Vaishnaw, Cabinet Minister (Rajya Sabha MP, Odisha) – Devusinh Chauhan, Minister of State (Kheda, Gujarat)
Air Marshal Ashutosh Dixit took over as Deputy Chief of Air Staff
- Air Marshal Ashutosh Dixit took over as the Deputy Chief of the Air Staff, according to the Minister of Defence.
- Dixit, an alumnus of the National Defence Academy, was Commissioned in the fighter stream on December 6 in 1986.
- He participated in operations ‘Safed Sagar’ and ‘Rakshak’.
- Air Marshal Dixit commanded a Mirage 2000 Squadron, a frontline fighter base in the Western sector, as well as a premier fighter training base.
- He has earlier served as Principle Director of Air Staff Requirement, Assistant Chief of the Air Staff (Projects) & Assistant Chief of the Air Staff (Plans) at Air Headquarters.
- Indian Air Force (IAF) – 26/01/1950 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Airforce Day (October 08) – Air Chief Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari (Chief of Air Staff) – ‘Touch the sky with Glory’ (Motto)
Former coal secretary Anil Jain appointed as chairman of PNGRB
- Former coal secretary Anil Kumar Jain has been appointed chairman of the Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB) by succeeding Dinesh Kumar Sarraf.
- Jain will have a term of five years or until he reaches the age of 65.
- His predecessor Dinesh Sarraf had only a three-year term.
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB) – 2006 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Anil Kumar Jain (Chairman)
Government appointed Ravneet Kaur as CCI Chairperson
- The government has appointed Ravneet Kaur as the Chairperson of the Competition Commission of India (CCI).
- There has been no full-time Chairperson for the competition regulator since Ashok Kumar Gupta demitted office in October 2022.
- CCI Member Sangeeta Verma has been acting as the Chairperson since October last year.
- She was appointed for a period of five years from the date of assuming charge or till the date of attaining the age of 65 years.
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) – 14/10/2003 – New Delhi (HQ) – Ravneet Kaur (Chairman)
Manoj Soni took charge as new Union Public Service Commission chairman
- Educationist Manoj Soni took oath as chairman of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
- The oath was administered by Smita Nagaraj, a senior member of the Commission.
- Soni joined the Commission as a member on June 28, 2017, and was later appointed to perform the duties of the post of Chairman, UPSC under Article 316 (A) of the Constitution of India with effect from April 5, 2022.
- He served a total of three terms as Vice-Chancellor of the M.S. University of Baroda (one term) and Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University, Gujarat for two terms.
- Soni has been the youngest-ever Vice Chancellor in independent India.
- Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) – 01/10/1926 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Manoj Soni (Chairman)
Report - The Anatomy of Fraud 2023
- According to “The Anatomy of Fraud 2023” report by digital solutions platform Bureau and consultancy firm Praxis.
- Out of all the reported digital payment frauds in India, over half (55 per cent) were United Payments Interface (UPI) related.
- Another 18 per cent are card related, 12 per cent are related to internet banking and nine per cent are from phishing calls.
- Most of the UPI-related frauds, however, have a low-ticket size.
- 50 per cent of these have an average ticket size of less than Rs 10,000.
- Another 48 per cent have a ticket size between 10,000 and 1,00,000.
- Only two per cent of these frauds have a ticket size of Rs 1,00,000.
- In 2019-20 (FY20), UPI accounted for 36 per cent of all the non-cash retail transactions in India, based on volumes.
- In FY21, it rose to 44 per cent.
- In FY22, 57 per cent of all non-cash retail transactions were made via UPI.
- Moreover, internet penetration in India is expected to jump from 879 million users in 2022 to 1.14 billion in 2027.
- The number of digital payments is expected to grow 74 per cent from 2022 to 2027.
AIFF declared June 23 as Grassroots Football Day
- Several Goan clubs observed May 15 as the Grassroots Football Day.
- That’s the day designated by the Asian Football Confederation (AFC).
- However, the All India Football federation (AIFF) has earmarked June 23 as the new National Grassroots Football Day.
- And, June 23 was selected to mark the birthday of legend P K Bannerjee (23-6-1936).
- All India Football Federation (AIFF) – 23/06/1937 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Kalyan Chaubey (President)
International Day of Light 2023
- The International Day of Light is celebrated every year on May 16 to highlight the importance of light and its role in science, culture, art, education and sustainable development.
- The International Day of Light was first proclaimed at the General Conference of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in November 2017.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) – 16/11/1945 (founded) – Paris (HQ) – Audrey Azoulay (Director-General)
International Day of Living Together in Peace 2023
- The International Day of Living Together in Peace is observed on May 16 every year to encourage peace, tolerance, inclusivity, understanding, and solidarity among individuals and communities globally.
- In 2017, the UN General Assembly in its resolution 72/130 established May 16 as the International Day of Living Together in Peace.
National Dengue Day
- Every year on May 16, National Dengue Day is observed to raise awareness of vector-borne diseases and ways to prevent them.
- The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare organises different events to observe National Dengue Day at several levels across the country.
- Dengue is caused by four distinct viruses and is spread by the female Aedes mosquitoes, which also transmit yellow fever, Zika viruses, and chikungunya.
Indian Naval Ship Visited Cambodia
- Indian Naval ships Delhi and Satpura, under the command of Rear Admiral Gurcharan Singh, Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Fleet, departed Sihanoukville, Cambodia.
- The three-day port call demonstrated India’s cordial ties and rapidly growing cooperation with the Kingdom of Cambodia.
- Indian Navy – 26/01/1950 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Navy Day (December 4) – Admiral R. Hari Kumar (Chief of Naval Staff) – ‘May the Lord of Water be auspicious unto us’ (Motto)
Daily Current Affairs - May 17, 2023 - Consolidated
- Union Minister Hardeep S Puri launches mega campaign ‘Meri LiFE, Mera Swachh Shehar
- G20 Session
- Tomar inaugurated integrated biological control lab at NIPHM
- Gram Vikas Yojana Distribution program organised under Chairman KVIC in Hapur, Uttar Pradesh
- Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated 6 new buildings of North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda & Homoeopathy at Shillong
- ‘YSR Matsyakara Bharosa’ scheme
- Kerala launched welfare fund for workers under employment guarantee scheme
- Himachal CM launched HimCare scheme for jail inmates
- RuPay goes live on CVV-less payments for tokenized cards
- World Bank grant to help set up integrated road safety enforcement system in Shimla, Nurpur
- Government launched Citizen Centric Portal, Sanchar Saathi to block and trace lost mobile phones
- Air Marshal Ashutosh Dixit took over as Deputy Chief of Air Staff
- Former coal secretary Anil Jain appointed as chairman of PNGRB
- Government appointed Ravneet Kaur as CCI Chairperson
- Manoj Soni took charge as new Union Public Service Commission chairman
- Report – The Anatomy of Fraud 2023
- AIFF declared June 23 as Grassroots Football Day
- International Day of Light 2023
- International Day of Living Together in Peace 2023
- National Dengue Day
- Indian Naval Ship Visited Cambodia
Do you wish to crack Banking Exams in 2023 ? - Register Now
Take your first step to your DREAM GOVERNMENT JOB
Enquire for Next Batch.