Daily Current Affairs – May 22, 2023
Daily Current Affairs - Banking - May 22, 2023
Dear Banking Aspirants,
Prepare for the Daily Current Affairs with Veranda Race who is the pioneer in the Banking Exam Coaching. Current Affairs section is one of the important Scoring section in the Mains of many Banking Exams like SBI PO, SBI CLERK, IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, IBPS RRB PO, IBPS RRB CLERK and multiple Insurance Exams.
Veranda Race is committed to provide Daily Current Affairs for all the days for the students who are preparing for Banking & Insurance Exams.
Check Daily for the Daily Current Affairs and also for the Quizzes to prepare for the upcoming Banking & Insurance Exams in 2023.
Download – LEGEND Monthly Current Affairs Magazine
- The 3rd meeting of the Environment and Climate Sustainability Working Group (ECSWG) under the India G20 Presidency commenced with a beach clean-up drive at Juhu beach in Maharashtra’s Mumbai.
- Maharashtra Governor Ramesh Bais, Chief Minister Eknath Shinde, and Union Minister Ashwini Choubey along with G20 delegates took part in a beach cleanup campaign organized with an aim to promote a sustainable and climate-resilient blue economy.
- The Beach Clean Up would be followed by another side event, the Ocean 20 Dialogue.
- Jammu and Kashmir’s Srinagar is all set to host the third G20 Tourism Working Group meeting.
- Union Minister of Tourism, Shri G. Kishan Reddy and Union Minister of State (Ind. Charge) Science & Technology, Dr. Jitendra Singh will inaugurate the 3rd G20 Tourism meeting.
- This is the first major international event after Jammu and Kashmir’s special status was scrapped in 2019.
76th Session of the World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi addressed the 76th Session of the World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland via video message.
- The World Health Assembly (WHA) is the forum through which the World Health Organization (WHO) is governed by its 194 member states.
- The members of the WHA generally meet every year in May in Geneva at the Palace of Nations, the location of WHO Headquarters.
- World Health Assembly (WHA) – 1948 (Founded) – Geneva (HQ) – Dr. Harsh Vardhan (Chairman)
India launched ‘Operation Karuna’ to assist cyclone-hit Myanmar
- India launched “Operation Karuna” to provide humanitarian assistance for people in Myanmar, which is affected by Cyclone Mocha, and Indian Naval Ships Shivalik, Kamorta, Savitri and Gharial carrying relief material reached Yangon.
- The ships are carrying emergency food items, tents, essential medicines, water pumps, portable generators, clothes, sanitary and hygiene items, etc.
- Indian Ambassador in Myanmar Vinay Kumar handed over the Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) material to the Chief Minister of Yangon region.
- Myanmar – Naypyidaw (Capital) – Kyat (Currency) – Myint Swe (President) – Min Aung Hlaing (Prime Minister) – Burmese (Language)
India-New Zealand Bilateral talks
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi met his New Zealand counterpart Chris Hipkins for the first time and the two leaders discussed the full range of bilateral ties and agreed to expand cooperation in various sectors like trade and commerce, education and sports.
- Modi arrived here on his maiden visit to Papua New Guinea to host a key summit between India and 14 Pacific island countries to boost bilateral ties.
- Modi met Hipkins on the sidelines of the Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC) summit.
- New Zealand – Wellington (Capital) – New Zealand dollar (Currency) – Charles III (Monarch) – Chris Hipkins (Prime Minister) – English, Māori, NZ Sign Language (Language)
Madhya Pradesh becomes first state in country to provide free air travel to pilgrims
- Madhya Pradesh has become the first state in the country to conduct pilgrimage by air on government expenditure under the Mukhya Mantri Teerth-Darshan Yojana.
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan flagged off a batch of 32 senior citizens on pilgrimage to UP’s Prayagraj from Bhopal via flight under the ‘Mukhya Mantri Tirath Yatra Yojana’.
- Madhya Pradesh – Bhopal (Capital) – Shivraj Singh Chouhan (CM) – Mangubhai C. Patel (Governor) – Hindi (Language)
Rajasthan government approved proposal to create GIS-based 3D models of 4 cities
- Rajasthan government has approved a proposal for developing Geographic Information System (GIS) based 3D models of Jodhpur, Udaipur, Kota and Ajmer.
- The state government will develop GIS-based 3D models of the four cities for better planning and management of urban development.
- Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot has approved a financial proposal of Rs 106.46 crore for the implementation of GIS-based 3D city and Rajdhara Satellite Imagery Repository projects in these four cities.
- Rajasthan – Jaipur (Capital) – Ashok Gehlot (CM) – Kalraj Mishra (Governor) – Hindi (Language)
National Convention of Modi Samaj in Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Union Home Minister and Minister of Cooperation, Shri Amit Shah inaugurated the National Convention of Modi Samaj in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- Gujarat – Gandhinagar (Capital) – Bhupendrabhai Patel (CM) – Acharya Devvrat (Governor) – Gujarati & Hindi (Language)
Banking and Finance
Public sector banks total profit crosses Rs 1 lakh crore-mark in FY23
- Public sector banks cumulative profit crossed the Rs 1 lakh crore-mark in the financial year ended March 2023, with market leader State Bank of India (SBI) accounting for nearly half of the total earnings.
- From posting a total net loss of Rs 85,390 crore in 2017-18, the Public Sector Banks (PSBs) have come a long way as their profit touched Rs 1,04,649 crore in 2022-23, according to an analysis of their financial results.
- These 12 PSBs witnessed 57 per cent increase in total profit compared to Rs 66,539.98 crore earned in 2021-22.
- In percentage terms Pune-based Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) had the highest net profit growth with 126 per cent to Rs 2,602 crore, followed by UCO with 100 per cent rise to Rs 1,862 crore and Bank of Baroda with 94 per cent increase to Rs 14,110 crore.
- However, in absolute term, SBI has reported an annual profit of Rs 50,232 crore in 2022-23, showing an increase of 59 per cent over the preceding financial year.
- Delhi-headquarter PNB posted a 27 per cent decline in annual net profit from Rs 3,457 crore in 2021-22 to Rs 2,507 crore in the year ended March 2023.
- The PSBs which reported an annual profit in excess of Rs 10,000 crore are Bank of Baroda (Rs 14,110 crore) and Canara Bank (Rs 10,604 crore).
- Other lenders like Punjab and Sind Bank posted an annual profit growth 26 per cent (Rs 1,313 crore), Central Bank of India 51 per cent (Rs 1,582 crore), Indian Overseas Bank 23 per cent (Rs 2,099 crore), Bank of India 18 per cent (Rs 4,023 crore), Indian Bank 34 per cent (Rs 5,282 crore) and Union Bank of India 61 per cent (Rs 8,433 crore).
- The government infused an unprecedented Rs 3,10,997 crore to recapitalise PSBs during the last five financial years from 2016-17 to 2020-21.
- The recapitalisation programme provided much-needed support to the PSBs and prevented the possibility of any default on their part.
Science and Technology
India's first Marwari foal 'produced' through embryo transfer technology
- Scientists have successfully ”produced” a foal of the Marwari horse breed using the embryo transfer technology, the director of the ICAR-National Research Centre on Equines (NRCE), Dr TK Bhattacharya.
- Raj-Prathama’, India’s first Marwari foal was produced had a normal weight of 23 kg.
SpaceX sends Saudi astronauts, including nation’s 1st woman in space, to International Space Station
- Saudi Arabia’s first astronauts in decades rocketed toward the International Space Station on a chartered multimillion-dollar flight.
- SpaceX launched the ticket-holding crew, led by a retired NASA astronaut now working for the company that arranged the trip from Kennedy Space Center.
- Sponsored by the Saudi Arabian government, Rayyanah Barnawi, a stem cell researcher, became the first woman from the kingdom to go to space.
- She was joined by Ali al-Qarni, a fighter pilot with the Royal Saudi Air Force.
- They’re the first from their country to ride a rocket since a Saudi prince launched aboard shuttle Discovery in 1985.
- Space Exploration Technologies Corporation (SpaceX) – 14/03/2002 (Founded) – Hawthorne, California (HQ) – Elon Musk (CEO, chairman & CTO)
Canara Bank’s CGM appointed Deputy MD at IDBI Bank
- The Board of Directors of IDBI Bank approved the appointment of Jayakumar S. Pillai as Deputy Managing Director on the Bank’s Board for 3 years.
- IDBI Bank has two Deputy Managing Director (DMD) positions.
- It currently has one DMD Suresh Khatanhar.
- The other DMD Samuel Joseph Jebaraj moved to the National Bank for Financing Infrastructure and Development (NaBFID) as Deputy Managing Director (Lending & Project Finance) in early April 2023.
- Pillai is presently working as Chief General Manager and Circle Head in Canara Bank, Mumbai.
- He has about 32 years of experience in the public sector bank.
- IDBI Bank – 01/07/1964 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Rakesh Sharma (MD & CEO) – “Banking for All” (Tagline)
Awards and Recognitions
PM Modi conferred with Fiji's highest honour
- Prime Minister Modi has been conferred the highest honour of Fiji by the PM Sitiveni Rabuka of Fiji: Companion of the Order of Fiji in recognition of his global leadership.
- Only a handful of Non-Fijians have received this honour to date.
- Fiji – Suva (Capital) – Fijian dollar (Currency) – Wiliame Katonivere (President) – Sitiveni Rabuka (Prime Minister) – English, Fijian, Fiji Hindi (Language)
IIFA 2023 to honour Kamal Haasan with Outstanding Achievement in Indian Cinema award
- Veteran actor Kamal Haasan will receive the Outstanding Achievement in Indian Cinema award at the upcoming IIFA Weekend and Awards.
- The International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) will honour fashion designer Manish Malhotra and actor couple Riteish Deshmukh and Genelia D’Souza at the award ceremony, to be held in Yas Island, Abu Dhabi.
Books and Authors
The Golden Years
- Book Name: The Golden Years
- Author: Ruskin Bond
- Publisher: Harper Collins India
British novelist Martin Amis passes away at 73
- Renowned British novelist Martin Amis passed at 73 in Florida.
- Amis was a prolific writer, having published 15 novels during his career. He is best known for his works “Money: A Suicide Note” and “London Fields.”
- Vintage Books, his publisher, expressed their devastation at the loss, praising Amis as a “novelist, essayist, memoirist, critic, stylist supreme.”
- Amis was born to well-known novelist Kingsley Amis on August 25, 1949, in Oxford.
- His father was famous for his book “Lucky Jim.”
Adidas to replace KKPL as the new kit sponsor of Indian cricket team
- Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) honorary secretary Jay Shah announced Adidas as its the new kit sponsor of India’s cricket team.
- Adidas will replace Kewal Kiran Clothing Limited (KKCL), which owns brands like Killer, Integriti, and Lawmanpg3, as the official kit sponsor of the Indian cricket team.
- In January, KKPL had replaced the e-sports platform MPL Sports as the kit sponsor.
- It was the sponsor from November 2020 to December 2023.
- Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) – December 1928 (Founded) – Wankhede Stadium,Mumbai (HQ) – Roger Binny (President) – Hemang Amin (CEO)
Rohit Sharma becomes second Indian player to complete 11,000 runs in T20 cricket
- Mumbai Indians (MI) captain Rohit Sharma achieved a massive feat with his sublime fifty against Sunrisers Hyderabad, as he joined the elite list of cricketers to score 11,000 runs in T20 cricket.
- Virat Kohli currently has 11,864 runs in the T20 cricket.
National Anti-Terrorism Day
- India observes the National Anti-Terrorism Day on May 21 every year to commemorate the death of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
- He was sixth PM of India, was assassinated by a woman-a member of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam on 21 May 1991, at Sriperumbudur, a village near Madras. T
- VP Singh’s government announced that 21 May would be observed as Anti-Terrorism Day.
International Tea Day
- International Tea Day is annually observed on May 21.
- The International Tea Day aims to raise awareness of the long history and the deep cultural and economic significance of tea around the world.
- The first International Tea Day was celebrated in India’s capital city, New Delhi, in 2005 and the celebrations were later followed by other tea growing countries – Sri Lanka, Nepal, Vietnam, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Kenya, Malawi, Malaysia, Uganda and Tanzania.
- Ten years later, the Indian government proposed in 2015 to expand the observance of International Tea Day through the FAO.
- In December 2019 United Nations’ General Assembly decided to designate 21 May as International Tea Day.
- The first United Nations International Tea Day was celebrated on May 21, 2020.
World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development
- The World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development, (World Day for Cultural Diversity) is annually observed on May 21.
- One such effort was UN Resolution A/RES/57/249, proclaimed unanimously by the United Nations General Assembly on 20 December 2002, naming 21 May as the World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development.
- United Nations (UN) – 24/10/1945 (Founded) – New York (HQ) – António Guterres (Secretary General) – 193 member states & 2 observer states
International Day for Biological Diversity
- The International Day for Biological Diversity (or World Biodiversity Day) is annually observed on May 22.
- The day was created by the Second Committee of the UN General Assembly in December 29 1993.
- In December 20, 2000, the date was shifted to commemorate the adoption of the Convention on May 22, 1992, at the Rio de Janeiro Earth Summit.
- Theme – From agreement to action: Build back biodiversity
- United Nations General Assembly – 1945 (Founded) – New York City (HQ) – Csaba Kőrösi (President)
Indian Navy will receive INSV Tarini on May 23 after her 17,000-nm voyage
- Indian naval sailing vessel Tarini is on her return journey to India after a seven-month long transoceanic intercontinental expedition, covering 17,000 nautical miles.
- The Indian Navy is all set to receive the six-member crew of INSV Tarini, including women officers Lt Cdr Dilna K and Lt Cdr Roopa A, at the ”flag in” ceremony on May 23 at the Indian Naval Watermanship Training Centre (INWTC), INS Mandovi, Goa.
- During the expedition, Tarini sailed to Rio de Janerio in Brazil via Cape Town in South Africa, participating in the Cape to Rio Race 2023.
- The ”flag in” event will showcase the exemplary valour, courage and perseverance of the crew.
- The Indian Navy has embarked on a mission to circumnavigate the globe to promote ocean sailing in a big way.
- Captain Dilip Donde was the first Indian to circumnavigate the globe in 2009-2010.
- Indian Navy – 26/01/1950 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Navy Day (December 4) – Admiral R. Hari Kumar (Chief of Naval Staff) – ‘May the Lord of Water be auspicious unto us’ (Motto)
Daily Current Affairs - May 22, 2023 - Consolidated
- G20 Session
- 76th Session of the World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland
- India launched ‘Operation Karuna’ to assist cyclone-hit Myanmar
- India-New Zealand Bilateral talks
- Madhya Pradesh becomes first state in country to provide free air travel to pilgrims
- Rajasthan government approved proposal to create GIS-based 3D models of 4 cities
- National Convention of Modi Samaj in Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Public sector banks total profit crosses Rs 1 lakh crore-mark in FY23
- India’s first Marwari foal ‘produced’ through embryo transfer technology
- SpaceX sends Saudi astronauts, including nation’s 1st woman in space, to International Space Station
- Canara Bank’s CGM appointed Deputy MD at IDBI Bank
- PM Modi conferred with Fiji’s highest honour
- IIFA 2023 to honour Kamal Haasan with Outstanding Achievement in Indian Cinema award
- The Golden Years
- British novelist Martin Amis passes away at 73
- Adidas to replace KKPL as the new kit sponsor of Indian cricket team
- Rohit Sharma becomes second Indian player to complete 11,000 runs in T20 cricket
- National Anti-Terrorism Day
- International Tea Day
- World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development
- International Day for Biological Diversity
Indian Navy will receive INSV Tarini on May 23 after her 17,000-nm voyage
Do you wish to crack Banking Exams in 2023 ? - Register Now
Take your first step to your DREAM GOVERNMENT JOB
Enquire for Next Batch.