Daily Current Affairs – May 06, 2023
Daily Current Affairs - Banking - May 06, 2023
Dear Banking Aspirants,
Prepare for the Daily Current Affairs with Veranda Race who is the pioneer in the Banking Exam Coaching. Current Affairs section is one of the important Scoring section in the Mains of many Banking Exams like SBI PO, SBI CLERK, IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, IBPS RRB PO, IBPS RRB CLERK and multiple Insurance Exams.
Veranda Race is committed to provide Daily Current Affairs for all the days for the students who are preparing for Banking & Insurance Exams.
Check Daily for the Daily Current Affairs and also for the Quizzes to prepare for the upcoming Banking & Insurance Exams in 2023.
Download – LEGEND Monthly Current Affairs Magazine
Nationwide AHDF KCC campaign for 2023-24
- As part of AazadiKaAmritMahostav, Union Cabinet Minister for Fisheries, Animal husbandry and Dairying, Shri Parshottam Rupala officially launched the Nationwide AHDF KCC Campaign for 2023-24 through virtual mode and interacted with beneficiaries of AHDF-KCC connected through CSC and State Animal Husbandry Department.
- This step will further help in extending KCC facility to all small landless farmers engaged in animal husbandry and fisheries activities.
- In order to expand the benefit of Kisan Credit Card to all eligible animal husbandry, dairy and fishery farmers in the country, Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, in association with the Department of Fisheries (DOF) and the Department of Financial Services (DFS), is organizing a “Nationwide AHDF KCC Campaign” from 1st May 2023 to 31st March, 2024.
- Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying in association with Department of Financial Services are organizing various campaign since June 2020 for providing Kisan Credit Card facility to all eligible Animal Husbandry and Fishery Farmers.
- As a result, more than 27 lakh fresh KCC were sanction to Animal Husbandry and Fishery Farmers thereby provided organizational credit facility to them to meet their working capital requirement.
- The last Nation-wide AHDF KCC Campaign has been held during 15.11.2021 to 15.03.2023.
- During this Campaign, District Level KCC Camps were organized in every week by KCC Coordination Committee coordinated by Lead District Manager (LDM) for on-the-spot scrutiny of applications sourced by the officials of State Animal Husbandry and Fisheries department from the farmers.
- Around 1 lakh farmers joined the awareness program virtually from Common Service Centers.
- Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying – Parshottam Rupala,Union Minister (Rajya Sabha MP,Gujarat) – Sanjeev Balyan, Minister of State (Muzaffarnagar,UP), L. Murugan, Minister of State (Rajya Sabha MP,MP)
Indian embassy in Nepal signed MoU with health foundation for distribution of LPG stoves, cylinders
- A memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed between the Embassy of India, Kathmandu and Sushila Thakur Memorial Health Foundation (STMHF), for the distribution of LPG gas stoves and cylinders in Mahottari District, Nepal with the Indian grant assistance of Rs 50 million (approx) under India-Nepal Development Cooperation.
- This project will benefit nearly 8,000 underprivileged and marginalised families of five municipalities in Mahottari District, Madhesh Pradesh of Nepal.
- The project is inspired by the Government of India’s Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana which is a flagship scheme with an objective to make clean cooking fuel such as LPG available to rural and deprived households which were otherwise using traditional cooking fuels such as firewood, coal, cow-dung cakes.
- Since 2003, India has taken up over 535 High Impact Community Development Projects in Nepal and has completed 478 projects.
- Amongst these, 81 projects are in Madhesh Pradesh including 6 projects in Mahottari District.
- In addition to these, the Government of India has gifted 23 ambulances to various hospitals and health posts in Mahottari District.
- Nepal – Kathmandu (Capital) – Nepalese rupee (Currency) – Ram Chandra Poudel (President) – Pushpa Kamal Dahal (Prime Minister) – Nepali (Language)
Minister Shantanu Thakur Flagged Off MV-ITT LION (V-273) From Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port, Kolkata
- Minister of State for Ports, Shipping and Waterways, Shri Shantanu Thakur flagged off MV-ITT LION (V-273) from Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port, Kolkata as the inaugural shipment to operationalise the Sittwe Port in Rakhine State of Myanmar.
- The Port has been built under a grant assistance from the Government of India as part of Kaladan Multimodal Transit Transport Project (KMTTP).
- The Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI), as a project Development Consultant for the implementation of Port and IWT components of the work, has successfully completed the work.
- MV-ITT LION (V-273) carrying 20,000 bags containing 1,000 metric tonnes of cement.
- Myanmar – Naypyidaw (Capital) – Kyat (Currency) – Myint Swe (President) – Min Aung Hlaing (Prime Minister) – Burmese (Language)
President of India launched ‘Addiction Free Odisha’ Campaign
- The President of India, Smt Droupadi Murmu launched the ‘Addiction Free Odisha’ campaign of Brahma Kumaris Centre at Hatbadra, Mayurbhanj.
- She laid the foundation stones for the Skill Training Hub and Community Centre in the village and interacted with villagers.
- Odisha – Bhubaneswar (Capital) – Naveen Patnaik (CM) – Ganeshi Lal (Governor) – Odia (Language)
Nityanand Rai inaugurated Dawki land port in Meghalaya
- Union Minister Nityanand Rai inaugurated the Dawki Land Port in Meghalaya’s West Jaintia Hills district to promote trade and commerce between India and Bangladesh.
- The land port is expected to boost the tourism and business sectors.
- The Dawki Land Port is located in West Jaintia Hills in Meghalaya, 55 km from the district headquarters, Jowai, and about 84 km from Meghalaya’s capital Shillong.
- The corresponding Land Port in Bangladesh is Tamabil, located in the Sylhet district.
- Meghalaya – Shillong (Capital) – Conrad Sangma (CM) – Phagu Chauhan (Governor) – English (Language)
Assam bilingual Braille dictionary is world’s largest lexicon
- A 21-volume Braille version of an Assamese-English dictionary weighing more than 80 kg, has become the world’s largest lexicon.
- The authorities of the Guinness World Records handed over a certificate to Jayanta Baruah, the publisher of the Braille version of Hemkosh, acknowledging its inclusion in the book as the world’s largest bilingual Braille dictionary.
- The 123-year-old Hemkosh is the first etymological dictionary of the Assamese language based on Sanskrit spellings, compiled by Mr. Baruah’s grandfather, Hemchandra Baruah.
- The 10,279-page Braille version of the Hemkosh has 90,640 words printed in 21 volumes and weighs 80.800 kg.
- A copy of the dictionary, released in September 2022, was presented to Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
- Assam– Dispur (Capital) – Himanta Biswa Sarma (CM) – Gulab Chand Kataria (Governor) – Assamese & Boro (Language)
Banking and Finance
Max Life tied up with Capital Small Finance Bank to offer life insurance solutions
- Max Life Insurance Company and Capital Small Finance Bank have announced a partnership to offer life insurance offerings to the latter’s customers.
- Through this tie-up, Max Life and Capital SFB will offer their customers a range of savings, protection, retirement, and group life insurance plans.
- Capital Small Finance Bank Ltd (CSFB) started operations as India’s first Small Finance Bank in 2016.
- Capital Small Finance Bank – 2016 (Founded) – Jalandar, Punjab (HQ) –
- Madan Gopal Sharma (Chairman) – Sarvjit Singh Samra (MD & CEO)
RBI updated KYC instructions on wire transfers
- The Reserve Bank instructed banks and other financial institutions to ensure cross-border as well as domestic wire transfers contain complete information about the originator and beneficiary.
- The central bank has updated instructions in the Master Direction on Know Your Customer (KYC) related to wire transfers and also aligned the same with the relevant recommendation of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF).
- Also, domestic wire transfers, where the originator is an account holder of the ordering regulated entity (RE), should be accompanied by originator and beneficiary information, as in the case of cross-border wire transfers.
- Domestic wire transfers of Rs 50,000 and above, where the originator is not an account holder of the ordering RE, shall also be accompanied by originator and beneficiary information as indicated for cross-border wire transfers.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) – 01/04/1935 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Shaktikanta Das (Governor)
RBI launched G20 TechSprint competition to improve cross-border payments
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) launched G20 TechSprint, a global technology competition for developing innovative solutions to improve cross-border payments.
- Under India’s G20 Presidency, the RBI and the BIS Innovation Hub (BISIH) of the Bank for International Settlements have jointly launched the fourth edition of the G20 TechSprint.
- The 2023 TechSprint will focus on solutions for three challenges cross-border payments face.
- The first focus would be Anti Money Laundering and Sanctions technology solutions to reduce illicit finance risk.
- Second aspect would cover Foreign exchange and liquidity technology solutions to enable settlement in emerging market and developing economy (EMDE) currencies.
- Finally, come up with technology solutions for multilateral cross-border Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) platforms.
- RBI said it along with BIS would invite global innovators to help develop innovative technology solutions for cross-border payments.
- The competition is open to developers from around the world for submitting application from May 04, 2023 to June 04, 2023 and the TechSprint will conclude around August/ September 2023.
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) – 23/12/1986 (Founded) – Old Delhi (HQ) – Pramod Kumar Tiwari (Director General) – Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution (Under)
BharatPe rebranded multi-brand loyalty program PAYBACK India as 'Zillion'
- BharatPe Group, one of India’s leading names in the fintech industry, announced that it will be rebranding PAYBACK India, the multi-brand loyalty program to ‘Zillion’.
- This new brand identity is in line with the company’s vision to make Zillion ubiquitous to loyalty and rewards across the country.
- The new brand identity intends to appeal to clients of all ages and give their overall shopping experience across brands and categories a new dimension.
- Customers will have a variety of alternatives from Zillion to earn and redeem points at a variety of partners across the country.
Agreements and MoUs signed
NSDC Signed MoU with Pernod Ricard India Foundation for Empowering Tribal Women in Jharkhand
- National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), working under the aegis of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE), has signed an MoU with Pernod Ricard India Foundation (PRIF), a CSR arm of the fast-growing multinational alcohol beverage company to develop a multi-skilling centre in the Gumla district of Jharkhand.
- The partnership is focused on empowering women within the local tribal population.
- The centre will act as a key hub to understand the latest technology and trends related to all phases of the agriculture business, from the pre-sowing to the post-harvest stage.
- The MoU was exchanged between Shri Ved Mani Tiwari, COO, (Officiating CEO) NSDC, and Sashidhar Vempala, Chief Sustainability Officer and Head CSR, Pernod Ricard India.
- National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) – 2008 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Mr. Ved Mani Tewari (CEO)
Science and Technology
India Health Dialogue (IHD) platform
- Union Minister for MSME Shri Narayan Rane launched the India Health Dialogue (IHD) platform in New Delhi.
- India Health dialogue(IHD) – a collaborative and stakeholders platform, is a global initiative of India Chamber of Business and Commerce in partnership with Indian Council of Medical research, Indian Medical Association(IMA) and supported by Ministry of MSME, GOI to build robust ecosystem to revolutionise health and health care sector for the future.
- IHD has been specifically designed as an integrated platform which will be in forefront for driving change and building a profound ecosystem to promote AtamNirbhar Bharat in Healthcare sector.
- This platform also serves a great opportunity for state governments to showcase business and investment opportunities in their respective states.
SJVN bagged 100 MW solar power project in Rajasthan
- State-owned SJVN Ltd had bagged 100 MW solar power project worth Rs 600 crore from Rajasthan Urja Vikas Nigam Ltd.
- SJVN Green Energy Ltd (SGEL), a wholly-owned subsidiary of SJVN, participated in an open competitive tariff bidding process followed by e-Reverse Auction (e-RA) organised by Rajasthan Urja Vikas Nigam Ltd (RUVNL).
- Nand Lal Sharma, Chairman & Managing Director of SJVN, informed in a statement that SJVN has bagged 100 MW State Transmission Utility (STU) connected solar power project in Rajasthan.
- SGEL bagged the project at a tariff of Rs 2.62 per unit on Build Own and Operate (BOO) basis in the bidding process.
- SJVN, formerly known as Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam – 1988 (Founded) – Shimla (HQ) – Nand Lal Sharma (Chairman & MD)
India will have 41 GW of energy storage capacity by 2030
- India is projected to have 41 GW of energy storage capacity along with 777GW of total installed power capacity by 2029-30, according to a Report on Optimal Generation Mix for 2029-30, released by Central Electricity Authority, Ministry of Power.
- Ministry of Power – Raj Kumar Singh,Union Minister (Arrah, Bihar)
Acquisitions and Mergers
ITC increased stake in food brand Sproutlife to 39.42% for Rs 175 crores
- FMCG major ITC has increased its stake in Sproutlife Foods by acquiring 2,443 equity shares of Rs 10 each and 7,215 compulsorily convertible preference shares of Rs 10 each for an aggregate consideration of Rs 175 crores.
- With this, ITC’s shareholding in Sproutlife aggregates to 39.42 per cent of its share capital on a fully diluted basis.
- Earlier in January this year, ITC had said that it would acquire 100 per cent of Sproutlife Foods Private Limited, makers of Yoga Bar healthy foods.
- The company has signed a binding term sheet to acquire 100 per cent of the share capital (on a fully diluted basis) of Sproutlife in tranches, expected to be completed over a period of three to four years.
- ITC Limited – 24/08/1910 (Founded) – Kolkata (HQ) – Sanjiv Puri (Chairman & MD)
Santiago Peña, a former economist, is Paraguay’s next president
- Santiago Peña, a 44-year-old former finance minister and economist at the IMF from the conservative Colorado Party became the president of Paraguay.
- He replaced Mario Abdo Benítez.
- Paraguay – Asunción (Capital) – Guaraní (Currency) – Mario Abdo Benítez (President) – Spanish & Guarani (Language)
Awards and Recognitions
3 jailed Iranian journalists awarded UNESCO World Press Freedom Prize
- Niloofar Hamedi, Elaheh Mohammadi and Narges Mohammadi have been named as the laureates of the 2023 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize, following the recommendation of an International Jury of media professionals.
- The Award Ceremony took place New York, in the presence of Audrey Azoulay, Director General of UNESCO.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) – 16/11/1945 (Founded) – Paris, France (HQ) – Audrey Azoulay (Director-General)
Logo, mascot of Khelo India University Games 2022 launched in Lucknow
- Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Anurag Thakur and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched the Logo, jersey, mascot, torch and anthem of the Khelo India University Games (KIUG) 2022 in Lucknow.
- The 3rd edition of the Khelo India University Games will take place from May 23 to June 3.
- The opening ceremony is scheduled for May 25 at the Babu Banarasi Das University in Lucknow.
- More than 4700 athletes from 200 universities across the country will participate in 21 sports disciplines in this event.
- Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports – Anurag Singh Thakur,Union Minister (Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh) – Nisith Pramanik,Minister of State (Cooch Behar, West Bengal)
National Cartoonist Day
- National Cartoonist Day, a world-wide celebration of cartoonists and their work annually on May 05.
- The National Cartoonist Society declared the date in the 1990s.
- The date of May 5th was chosen to recognize the first appearance (in color) of the mischievous cartoon character “The Yellow Kid” in the New York World newspaper on May 5, 1895.
World Hand Hygiene Day
- World Hand Hygiene Day is annually observed on the May 05.
- It aims to promote the importance of hand hygiene in preventing the spread of infection and promote good health.
- The history of World Hand Hygiene Day can be traced back to the year 2009 when the World Health Organization (WHO) launched the first Global Patient Safety Challenge, which called for a worldwide commitment to improving the safety of healthcare workers and patients.
- Theme – “Together, we can accelerate action to prevent infections and antimicrobial resistance in health care and build a culture of safety and quality in which hand hygiene improvement is given high priority.”
- Slogan – “Accelerate action together. SAVE LIVES – Clean Your Hands”
- To celebrate World Hand Hygiene Day, Reckitt, world’s leading consumer health and hygiene company, under its flagship campaign ‘Dettol Banega Swasth India’ launched India’s first-ever public health and hygiene-focused podcast Banega Swasth India – Swasthya Mantra.
- The podcast aims to engage a younger audience and spread the message of importance of inculcating good hygiene practises.
- This podcast is available for audience across platforms like Spotify, Apple Podcast, Google Podcast and YouTube in English and Hindi.
- As an extension of Dettol BSI School Hygiene Curriculum, the celebration also witnessed the unveiling of a 3-volume hygiene DIY workbook for children in English and Hindi.
- World Health Organization (WHO) – 07/04/1948 (Founded) – Geneva, Switzerland (HQ) – Tedros Adhanom (Director-General)
International Day of the Midwife
- International Day of the Midwife is annually celebrated May 5.
- It is seen as a chance to honour, celebrate and pay homage to midwives, advocate midwifery and raise awareness of any issues they face.
- First celebrated in 1992.
- Theme – “Together Again: From Evidence to Reality.”
Daily Current Affairs - May 06, 2023 - Consolidated
- Nationwide AHDF KCC campaign for 2023-24
- Indian embassy in Nepal signed MoU with health foundation for distribution of LPG stoves, cylinders
- Minister Shantanu Thakur Flagged Off MV-ITT LION (V-273) From Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port, Kolkata
- President of India launched ‘Addiction Free Odisha’ Campaign
- Nityanand Rai inaugurated Dawki land port in Meghalaya
- Assam bilingual Braille dictionary is world’s largest lexicon
- Max Life tied up with Capital Small Finance Bank to offer life insurance solutions
- RBI updated KYC instructions on wire transfers
- RBI launched G20 TechSprint competition to improve cross-border payments
- BharatPe rebranded multi-brand loyalty program PAYBACK India as ‘Zillion’
- NSDC Signed MoU with Pernod Ricard India Foundation for Empowering Tribal Women in Jharkhand
- India Health Dialogue (IHD) platform
- SJVN bagged 100 MW solar power project in Rajasthan
- India will have 41 GW of energy storage capacity by 2030
- ITC increased stake in food brand Sproutlife to 39.42% for Rs 175 crores
- Santiago Peña, a former economist, is Paraguay’s next president
- 3 jailed Iranian journalists awarded UNESCO World Press Freedom Prize
- Logo, mascot of Khelo India University Games 2022 launched in Lucknow
- National Cartoonist Day
- World Hand Hygiene Day
- International Day of the Midwife
Do you wish to crack Banking Exams in 2023 ? - Register Now
Take your first step to your DREAM GOVERNMENT JOB
Enquire for Next Batch.