Daily Current Affairs – May 12, 2023
Daily Current Affairs - Banking - May 12, 2023
Dear Banking Aspirants,
Prepare for the Daily Current Affairs with Veranda Race who is the pioneer in the Banking Exam Coaching. Current Affairs section is one of the important Scoring section in the Mains of many Banking Exams like SBI PO, SBI CLERK, IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, IBPS RRB PO, IBPS RRB CLERK and multiple Insurance Exams.
Veranda Race is committed to provide Daily Current Affairs for all the days for the students who are preparing for Banking & Insurance Exams.
Check Daily for the Daily Current Affairs and also for the Quizzes to prepare for the upcoming Banking & Insurance Exams in 2023.
Download – LEGEND Monthly Current Affairs Magazine
PM Modi launched projects worth Rs 5,800 crore
- The Prime Minister laid the foundation stone and dedicated to the nation multiple projects related to scientific and technological advancement in the country, worth more than Rs 5800 crore.
- The projects for which the foundation stone was laid include Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory-India (LIGO-India), Hingoli; Homi Bhabha Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, Jatni, Odisha; and Platinum Jubilee Block of Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai.
MyGov, in collaboration with Ministry of Culture, to launch ‘YUVA PRATIBHA – Painting Talent Hunt’
- With an aim to promote India’s rich heritage and culture at the grassroots level on a national scale by identifying and recognising the new art talent in various painting styles, MyGov in collaboration with Ministry of Culture is launching ‘YUVA PRATIBHA – Painting Talent Hunt’ under the aegis of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- Painting Talent Hunt is a unique opportunity for citizens across the country to display their artistic talent and skills to gain national recognition.
- If one thinks he/she wants to be New India’s emerging artist, illustrator, miniaturist or portrait maker, can participate in the ‘YUVA PRATIBHA – Painting Talent Hunt’ and showcase creativity and craftsmanship on the various themes:
- Heritage & Cultural
- Valour & Patriotism
- Public Heroes & Leaders
- Nature & Environment
Divya Kala Mela being organised by Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan) in Guwahati
- Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan) is organizing a unique event showcasing the products and craftsmanship of Divyang entrepreneurs/artisans from across the country, ‘Divya Kala Mela’ at Maniram Dewan Trade centre, Guwahati, Assam.
- The event would present an enthralling experience to the visitors as vibrant products from various parts of the country including Jammu and Kashmir, North Eastern states, handicrafts, handlooms, embroidery works and packaged food etc. will be seen together.
Jal Shakti Ministry organized orientation program for action-oriented implementation of "Catch the Rain" campaign
- The National Water Mission, Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Ministry of Jal Shakti organized a workshop- cum- orientation programme for Central Nodal Officers (CNO) and Technical Officers (TO) in New Delhi.
- These officers will be visiting the 150 water-stressed districts across the nation for ensuring effective and action-oriented implementation of the “Jal Shakti Abhiyan: Catch the Rain” – 2023.
- The 2023 campaign is being implemented from 4th March 2023 to 30th November 2023 in all the districts of the country with the theme “Source Sustainability for Drinking Water”.
- Ministry of Jal Shakti – Gajendra Singh Shekhawat,Union Minister (Jodhpur,Rajasthan) – Prahlad Singh Patel,Minister of State (Damoh,MP) & Bisweshwar Tudu,Minister of State (Mayurbhanj,Odisha)
Union Minister Meenakshi Lekhi inaugurated ‘Buddham Saranam Gacchami’ exhibition in New Delhi
- Union Minister of State for External Affairs and Culture Meenakshi Lekhi inaugurated the “Buddham Saranam Gacchami” exhibition at the National Gallery of Modern Arts, New Delhi.
- The exhibition organized in the week succeeding Buddha Purnima was based on the life of Lord Buddha and showcased the voyage of Buddhist art and culture around the world.
- The artistic works that have been put on display offer a glimpse into the history and philosophy of one of Buddhism.
- During the program the Missions of numerous countries were represented at the event through their Head of Missions and deputies.
- The exhibition also showcases paintings from countries like Sri Lanka and Myanmar and showcased how Buddhism traversed across different countries.
- The aim of the exhibition is to delve into an exploration about the spirituality of art and their elements related with Buddhism and its journey expressing the universal values of wisdom, compassion, and peace.
- The Exhibition is open for public till 10th June at the National Gallery of Modern Arts, India Gate.
- Ministry of Culture – Gangapuram Kishan Reddy,Union Minister (Secunderabad,Telangana) – Meenakshi Lekhi,Minister of State (New Delhi Lok Sabha constituency)
‘Poshan Bhi, Padhai Bhi’
- Union Minister for Women and Child Development Smriti Irani launched the Centre’s flagship programme ‘Poshan Bhi, Padhai Bhi’, which will focus on Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) at anganwadis across the country
- The ministry has allocated Rs 600 crore for the training of anganwadi workers to implement the ECCE.
- The National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development (NIPCCD) has been roped in for the training of Anganwadi workers.
- Ministry of Women and Child Development – Smriti Zubin Irani,Union Minister (Amethi,UP) – Dr. Mahendra Munjpara,Minister of State (Surendranagar,Gujarat)
Banking and Finance
World Bank approved $82M loan for animal health management in India
- The World Bank’s Board of Executive Directors approved an $82 million loan towards the adoption of global best practices for animal health management to prevent, detect, and respond to endemic zoonotic, transboundary, and emerging infectious diseases.
- It will strengthen India’s One Health approach, which recognizes that people and animals are connected with their shared environment.
- World Bank – December 1944 (Founded) – Washington DC (HQ) – David Malpass (President)
RBL Bank launched ‘Direct Tax Collections’ through TIN2.0
- RBL Bank has gone live with ‘Direct Tax Collections’ on behalf of the Government of India through the new Tax Information Network (TIN2.0) portal.
- This is the second such offering from the Bank, following its empanelment by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) as an ‘Agency Bank’ to conduct banking business for the Central and State Governments.
- The Bank already offers customs duty collections through a direct interface via ICEGATE.
- This enhanced service will enable RBL Bank customers to make direct tax payments seamlessly via various digital channels and RBL Bank branches.
- Leveraging its enhanced technology framework, the solution provides an easy, user-friendly platform for managing direct tax payments and marks an important milestone in RBL Bank’s Government Banking offerings.
- This segment is one of the key focus area for the Bank as a high enabler for growing its liability franchise.
- RBL Bank – 06/08/1943 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – R.Subramaniakumar (MD & CEO) – “Apno ka Bank” (Tagline)
Business and Economy
Zero duty import of soya, sunflower oil under TRQ likely to benefit consumers
- The latest notification of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) allowing imports of crude soyabean oil and crude sunflower oil at zero basic Customs duty and zero Agriculture Infrastructure and Development Cess till June 30, is likely to help consumers.
- The CBIC notification allowed imports of crude soyabean oil and crude sunflower oil at zero Basic Customs Duty and zero Agriculture Infrastructure and Development Cess for TRQ (tariff rate quota) license holders for 2022-23 up to June 30, 2023.
Agreements and MoUs signed
ICMR, AYUSH Ministry signed MoU for health research in Integrated Medicine
- Indian Council of Medical Research and AYUSH Ministry have signed an MoU for collaborative and cooperative momentum on health research in the field of Integrated Medicine.
- MOU will combine traditional knowledge with modern research and boost Ayurveda to further build its identity on the basis of scientific evidence.
- Ministry of Ayush – Sarbananda Sonowal,Union Minister (Rajya Sabha MP,Assam) – Dr. Mahendra Munjpara,Minister of State (Surendranagar,Gujarat)
Green hydrogen bunkering, refuelling facilities to be set up at all major ports by 2035
- The government said green hydrogen bunkering and refuelling facilities shall be established at all major ports by 2035 to reduce the country’s carbon footprint.
- The Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways (MoPSW) in its green port guidelines, ‘HaritSagar’ further said that ports shall make an action plan for creation of infrastructure at select ports for storage, bunkering and refuelling of green hydrogen within the targeted timelines.
- Bunkering operation is a procedure for transferring oil, sludge or cargo to and from a ship.
- Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways – Sarbananda Sonowal, Union Minister (Rajya Sabha MP, Assam) – Shripad Yesso Naik, Minister of State (North Goa) & Shantanu Thakur, Minister of State (Bangaon,West Bengal)
NIIF appointed Rajiv Dhar as interim CEO
- National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF), a quasi-sovereign wealth fund, has appointed Rajiv Dhar as interim managing director and CEO.
- National Investment and Infrastructure Fund Limited (NIIFL) – February 2015 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ)
L&T appointed S N Subrahmanyan as CMD
- Larsen & Toubro said its Non-Executive Chairman A M Naik has decided to step down from the post and will become the Chairman Emeritus.
- S N Subrahmanyan, who is the Chief Executive Officer & Managing Director, has been re-designated as the Chairman and Managing Director of the company with effect from October 1, 2023.
- Naik has decided to step down as Non-Executive Chairman of the company with effect from September 30, 2023.
Government appointed Kavitha Padmanabhan on NHB board
- The government appointed Kavitha Padmanabhan on the board of National Housing Bank (NHB), the regulator for housing finance firms.
- Padmanabhan is an Assam cadre IAS officer and serving as Commissioner and Secretary Housing and Urban Affairs in the state.
- Earlier, she had served as a director in the Prime Minister’s office.
- National Housing Bank (NHB) – 09/07/1988 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Sarada Kumar Hota (Managing Director)
Karthik Balagopalan will replace Abhishek Ganguly as MD of Puma India
- Abhishek Ganguly will step down from his role as the managing director of Puma India and its global director of retail and e-commerce Karthik Balagopalan will take on the post from August 1.
- Ganguly had been the MD of the company since 2014.
Ranks and Indices
ICC Men's ODI Rankings
Awards and Recognitions
2nd Annual BFSI Leadership Summit and Awards 2023
- Indel Money, the flagship company of Indel Corporation and a gold loan non-banking finance company (NBFC), won the Fastest Growing NBFC of the Year award at the 2nd Annual BFSI Leadership Summit & Awards 2023 at an event held in Mumbai.
- Mr.UmeshMohanan, ED & CEO and Jijith Raj Thekkayil, EVP & Business Head of Indel money received the award from Mahesh G. Thakkar, Director General, Finance Industry Development Council.
- Indel Money witnessed a staggering 210 percent growth in disbursement compared to FY 21-22, having disbursed loans worth Rs. 3000 crores for FY23.
Books and Authors
The Invisible Enemy The Global History of Chemical and Biological Warfare
- Book: The Invisible Enemy The Global History of Chemical and Biological Warfare
- Author: Girish Kuber
- Translated by: Subha Pande
- Published by: HarperCollins
National Technology Day
- National Technology day is annually observed on May 11 in India.
- 1st Observed in 1999.
- This day also commemorates the five Pokhran nuclear tests done by the Indian Army in May 1998 in Bikaner, Rajasthan.
- Theme – “School to Startups- Igniting Young Minds to Innovate”
35th edition of Indo-Thai Coordinated Patrol
- The 35th edition of India-Thailand Coordinated Patrol (Indo-Thai CORPAT) between the Indian Navy and the Royal Thai Navy was conducted.
- Indian Naval Ship (INS) Kesari, an indigenously built LST (L) and His Thai Majesty’s Ship (HTMS) Saiburi, a Chao Phraya Class Frigate, along with Maritime Patrol Aircraft from both navies participated in the CORPAT along the IMBL in the Andaman Sea.
- Towards reinforcing maritime linkages between the two countries and with an aim of keeping this vital part of the Indian Ocean safe and secure for international trade, the Indian Navy and the Royal Thai Navy have been undertaking CORPAT bi-annually since 2005 along the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL).
- Indian Navy – 26/01/1950 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Navy Day (December 4) – Admiral R. Hari Kumar (Chief of Naval Staff) – ‘May the Lord of Water be auspicious unto us’ (Motto)
Daily Current Affairs - May 12, 2023 - Consolidated
- PM Modi launched projects worth Rs 5,800 crore
- MyGov, in collaboration with Ministry of Culture, to launch ‘YUVA PRATIBHA – Painting Talent Hunt’
- Divya Kala Mela being organised by Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan) in Guwahati
- Jal Shakti Ministry organized orientation program for action-oriented implementation of “Catch the Rain” campaign
- Union Minister Meenakshi Lekhi inaugurated ‘Buddham Saranam Gacchami’ exhibition in New Delhi
- ‘Poshan Bhi, Padhai Bhi’
- World Bank approved $82M loan for animal health management in India
- RBL Bank launched ‘Direct Tax Collections’ through TIN2.0
- Zero duty import of soya, sunflower oil under TRQ likely to benefit consumers
- ICMR, AYUSH Ministry signed MoU for health research in Integrated Medicine
- Green hydrogen bunkering, refuelling facilities to be set up at all major ports by 2035
- NIIF appointed Rajiv Dhar as interim CEO
- L&T appointed S N Subrahmanyan as CMD
- Government appointed Kavitha Padmanabhan on NHB board
- Karthik Balagopalan will replace Abhishek Ganguly as MD of Puma India
- ICC Men’s ODI Rankings
- 2nd Annual BFSI Leadership Summit and Awards 2023
- The Invisible Enemy The Global History of Chemical and Biological Warfare
- National Technology Day
- 35th edition of Indo-Thai Coordinated Patrol
Do you wish to crack Banking Exams in 2023 ? - Register Now
Take your first step to your DREAM GOVERNMENT JOB
Enquire for Next Batch.