Daily Current Affairs – May 16, 2023
Daily Current Affairs - Banking - May 16, 2023
Dear Banking Aspirants,
Prepare for the Daily Current Affairs with Veranda Race who is the pioneer in the Banking Exam Coaching. Current Affairs section is one of the important Scoring section in the Mains of many Banking Exams like SBI PO, SBI CLERK, IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, IBPS RRB PO, IBPS RRB CLERK and multiple Insurance Exams.
Veranda Race is committed to provide Daily Current Affairs for all the days for the students who are preparing for Banking & Insurance Exams.
Check Daily for the Daily Current Affairs and also for the Quizzes to prepare for the upcoming Banking & Insurance Exams in 2023.
Download – LEGEND Monthly Current Affairs Magazine
Tungnath Temple Declared National Monument
- Tungnath Temple, located in the Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand, has been declared a national monument by the Central Government.
- The temple is one of the highest Shiva temples in the world, at an altitude of 3,690 meters (12,106 feet) above sea level.
- It is also one of the five Panch Kedar temples, which are sacred to Hindus.
- The temple is believed to have been built by the Pandavas.
- Uttarakhand – Dehradun (Winter), Gairsain (Summer) (Capital) – Pushkar Singh Dhami (CM) – Gurmit Singh (Governor) – Hindi (Language)
Unique ID now mandatory for doctors
- All doctors will have to get a unique identification number (UID) in order to practice medicine in the country, according to a notification by the National Medical Commission (NMC).
- The ethics board of the NMC will generate the unique ID and grant the practitioner registration and the eligibility to practice medicine in India.
- The national medical register (NMR) will have entries of the registered medical practitioners of all State registers maintained by the State Medical Councils.
- It will also have information regarding the medical practitioner such as medical qualification speciality, year of passing, university and the name of the institute(s) from where the qualification(s) was obtained and the place of work (name of hospital/institute).
- The NMR can be accessed by anybody on the NMC’s official website—www.nmc.org.in.
Army Chief Gen Manoj Pande on a 3-day visit to Egypt
- Indian Army Chief General Manoj Pande is on a three-day visit to Egypt to enhance bilateral Defence Cooperation and strengthen ties in areas of mutual interest of both countries.
- Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi was invited as chief guest on India’s 74th Republic Day celebrations to reaffirm the strong relations between the two countries.
- Egypt – Cairo (Capital) – Egyptian pound (Currency) – Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (President) – Moustafa Madbouly (Prime Minister) – Arabic (Language)
Patnaik launches 'Special Development Councils' in 14 more Odisha districts
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched Special Development Councils (SDCs) in 14 more districts with an aim to carry out development of tribals.
- The new SDCs have been set up in the districts of Angul, Bolangir, Balasore, Bargarh, Boudh, Deogarh, Dhenkanal, Ganjam, Jajpur, Jharsuguda, Kalahandi, Nuapada, Nayagarh and Sambalpur.
- Earlier, these were launched in nine districts.
- The objective of the SDCs is to further conserve and ensure the socio-economic and cultural development of tribals of Odisha.
- Around 80 lakh tribals in 172 blocks of these 14 districts will be benefited.
- The state government will spend Rs 273 crore for development of tribal culture.
- Odisha – Bhubaneswar (Capital) – Naveen Patnaik (CM) – Ganeshi Lal (Governor) – Odia (Language)
Varanasi International Airport Becomes First in India to Offer A Reading Lounge, Free Of Cost
- The Lal Bahadur Shastri International (LBSI) Airport,Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh in this city is the first in India to provide a reading room.
- The National Book Trust (NBT), a publishing business in India and an independent organization within the Union government’s Ministry of Education, supported the lounge’s establishment.
- Uttar Pradesh – Lucknow (Capital) – Yogi Adityanath (CM) – Anandiben Patel (Governor) – Hindi (Language)
Foxconn to invest USD 500 million in Telangana, sets up new manufacturing cluster
- Electronics major Foxconn Interconnect Technology laid the foundation for a new electronics manufacturing facility in Telangana as part of its USD 500 million investment in the state.
- The foundation laying ceremony took place in the presence of Telangana Minister for Industries and Commerce K T Rama Rao, Foxconn Interconnect Technology Chairman and CEO Sidney Lu and other dignitaries.
- The proposed electronics manufacturing facility at Kongara Kalan.
- Telangana – Hyderabad (Capital) – K Chandrashekar Rao (CM) – Tamilisai Soundarajan (Governor) –Telugu (Language)
Haryana approved Delhi-Gurugram-Shahjahanpur-Neemrana-Behror-Alwar and Delhi to Panipat RRTS projects
- The Haryana Government gave approval to Delhi-Gurugram-Shahjahanpur-Neemrana-Behror (SNB)-Alwar and Delhi to Panipat regional rapid transit system (RRTS) projects.
- During the RRTS meeting chaired by chief secretary Sanjeev Kaushal in Chandigarh, it was revealed that the Delhi-SNB RRTS corridor will have a 107 km-long alignment, with 70 km elevated and the remaining 37 km underground.
- Delhi, Haryana, and Rajasthan have approved the project and the sanction is under consideration with the Centre.
- The 103 km-long Delhi-Panipat RRTS corridor has an elevated length of 11.5 km and the remaining 91.5 km underground.
- National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC) is a Joint Venture company of Government of India (GOI) and participating State Governments of Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, and Rajasthan and is under the administrative control of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MOHUA), GOI.
- NCRTC is mandated for designing, developing, implementing, financing, operating, and maintaining Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) projects in NCR to provide comfortable and fast transit to NCR towns and meet the high growth in transport demand.
- Haryana – Chandigarh (Capital) – Manohar Lal Khattar (CM) – Bandaru Dattatreya (Governor) – Hindi (Language)
Banking and Finance
RBI asks banks to ensure complete move away from LIBOR by July
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) told banks and other regulated entities to ensure a complete transition away from the London Interbank Offered Rate (LIBOR) from July 1.
- The complete transition from LIBOR is a significant event in the global financial markets which requires continued attention from all stakeholders to mitigate operational risks and ensure an orderly transition.
- RBI advised institutions not to do new LIBOR-linked or the Mumbai Interbank Forward Outright Rate (MIFOR)-linked financial deals.
- The London Inter-Bank Offered Rate (Libor) is an interest rate average calculated from estimates submitted by the leading banks in London.
- The British Bankers’ Association launched LIBOR in 1986—initially with only three currencies—the dollar, the yen, and the pound sterling.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) – 01/04/1935 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – Shaktikanta Das (Governor)
ICICI Prudential Life Insurance launches new debt fund for long-term
- ICICI Prudential Life Insurance launched a debt fund ICICI Pru Constant Maturity Fund (the first such fund in the life insurance market), which will enable customers to lock in their investments at current high-interest rates and build long-term wealth.
- This fund is available for investments with the company’s flagship unit-linked insurance plans (ULIP).
- The fund will be available with ULIPs from May 15, 2023.
- ULIPs also offer customers a tax-efficient mode of building long-term savings as they can invest up to 250,000 annually for the duration of the policy and take home a tax-free maturity amount.
- Customers have the option of investing in this fund through the company’s ULIP offerings like ICICI Pru Signature, ICICI Pru Smart Life, and ICICI Pru LifeTime Classic.
- ICICI Prudential Life Insurance – 2000 (Founded) – Mumbai (HQ) – NS Kannan (CEO)
Business and Economy
WPI inflation in April at (-) 0.92, lowest in 34-months
- Wholesale prices in India fell for the first time in almost three years in April, as softening global commodity prices brought down food, fuel, and other input costs for producers.
- WPI inflation has been on a declining trend for the last 11 months and came in at (-) 0.92 per cent in April.
- This is the lowest level of wholesale price index (WPI) since June 2020, when inflation was at (-) 1.81 per cent.
Science and Technology
Govt launched 'Meri LiFE' app to encourage young to battle climate change
- The government launched ”Meri LiFE” (My Life) mobile application to empower young people and encourage their participation in tackling climate change.
- The app, inspired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Mission LiFE, aims to promote mindful utilisation instead of wasteful consumption.
- LiFE stands for lifestyle for environment.
- Union Environment Minister Bhupender Yadav said the application will foster a nationwide movement for LiFE, demonstrating the power of citizens in saving the environment.
- The Mission LiFE Portal (http://missionlife-moefcc.nic.in”missionlife-moefcc.nic.in) provides open access to over 100 creatives, videos, and knowledge materials created by the ministry for LiFE.
- The Meri LiFE Portal (http://merilife.org”merilife.org) enables ministries and institutions to upload event reports and track the progress of the ongoing mass mobilisation drive.
- Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) – Bhupender Yadav, Cabinet Minister (Rajya Sabha MP,Rajasthan) – Ashwini Kumar Choubey, Minister of State (Buxar,Bihar)
NTPC to start feasibility study for 130-MW floating solar power plant in Tripura
- The National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Ltd will begin a feasibility study for a 130-MW floating solar power plant on Dumbur Lake in Tripura’s Gomati district.
- In the past five years, the northeastern state has increased solar power energy from 4.07 MW to 7.21 MW with the government trying hard to increase renewable energy in a big way.
- Tripura Renewable Energy Development Agency (TREDA) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the NTPC to carry out the feasibility study for the floating power plant.
- NTPC operates a 100-MW floating solar power project at Ramagundam in Telangana.
- NTPC is expected to complete the feasibility study which will cost Rs 450 crore in a couple of months.
- NTPC Limited (National Thermal Power Corporation Limited) – 07/11/1975 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Gurdeep Singh (Chairman & MD)
PM-led panel picked Karnataka DGP Praveen Sood as next CBI Director
- The high-powered selection committee headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has appointed Karnataka DGP Praveen Sood as Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for a period of two years.
- He will take charge from Subodh Kumar Jaiswal, who completes his tenure on May 25.
- Sood’s appointment was announced in an order issued by the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
Awards and Recognitions
Armory Square Prize
- Author and translator Musharraf Ali Farooqi, who translated Siddique Alam’s The Kettledrum and Other Stories from Urdu to English, has won the inaugural edition of the Armory Square Prize for South Asian Literature in Translation.
- The book will be published by Open Letter Books next year, with an excerpt already out on wordswithoutborders.org.
'The Godfather of Poker' Doyle Brunson died, age 89
- Doyle Brunson, also known as the “Godfather of Poker”, died at age 89 in Las Vegas.
- Brunson, won 10 World Series of Poker tournaments second only to Phil Hellmuth’s 16.
- Dubbed “Texas Dolly,” he captured world championships in 1976 and 1977 and was inducted into the Poker Hall of Fame in 1988.
2023 ISSF World Cup
- Country: Baku
- Event: Rifle/Pistol
- Venue: Baku Olympic Shooting Range
Zalán Pekler (Hungary)
Huang Yuting & Sheng Lihao
Hriday Hazarika (India)
Zhilin Wang & Haoran Yang
Lihao Sheng (China)
Aneta Brabcova & Frantisek Smetana
Sajjad Pourhosseini (Iran)
Anna Korakaki (Greece)
Sarabjot Singh &
Divya Thadigol Subbaraju
Oleh Omelchuk (Ukraine)
Olena Kostevych (Ukraine)
Zorana Arunović & Damir Mikec
Robin Walter (Germany)
Rhythm Sangwan (India)
Simal Yilmaz & Ismail Keleş
International Day of Families
- The International Day of Families is observed on 15 May every year.
- The Day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in 1993 with resolution A/RES/47/237 and reflects the importance the international community attaches to families.
- The International Day provides an opportunity to promote awareness of issues relating to families and to increase knowledge of the social, economic and demographic processes affecting families.
- Theme – Demographic Trends and Families
UN Global Road Safety Week
- UN Global Road Safety Week is an annually held in May to raise awareness about road safety and the importance of taking steps to prevent accidents.
- The 7th UN Global Road Safety Week will be held 15-21 May 2023.
- The week was first marked in 2007.
- It was no longer observed until 2013, and it had been recorded every two years since then until 2019.
- Theme – sustainable transport
- Slogan – #RethinkMobility
- United Nations (UN) – 24/10/1945 (Founded) – New York (HQ) – António Guterres (Secretary General) – 193 member states & 2 observer states
Govt imposes import ban on 928 defence items in self-reliance push
- With the aim of promoting aatmanirbharta (self-reliance) in weaponry and defence equipment and minimise imports by defence public sector undertakings (DPSUs), the Ministry of Defence (MoD) promulgated a list of 928 strategically important spares and components that would face curbs on their import.
- This so-called 4th Positive Indigenisation List (PIL) will include Rs 715 crore worth of high-end materials and spares, the import of which will be permitted only until a date specified for each.
- After each one’s import deadline elapses, it will have to be procured from the Indian industry.
- This fourth PIL list follows the earlier PILs, which restricted the import of a range of line-replaceable units (LRUs), sub-systems, assemblies, spares, and components of defence systems.
- The 1st PIL comprising 101 items, was promulgated in August 2020.
- The 2nd PIL comprising 108 items, was promulgated in May 2021.
- The 3rd PIL comprising 101 items, was promulgated in April 2022.
- The MoD has also notified three PILs as regards DPSUs, comprising 3,738 major LRUs, sub-systems, assemblies, spares, and components, each with an embargo on their import from defined timelines.
- Further, more than 26,000 defence items have been uploaded on MoD’s Srijan defence portal and offered to the industry for indigenisation.
- So far, 7,031 items have been indigenised, catering to domestic and global markets.
- Ministry of Defence – Rajnath Singh,Union Minister (Lucknow,UP) – Ajay Bhatt,Minister of State (Nainital–Udhamsingh Nagar,Uttarakhand)
Samudra Shakthi 23
- INS Kavaratti, indigenously designed & built ASW Corvette, arrived at Batam, Indonesia to participate in the 4th edition of India-Indonesia Bilateral exercise Samudra Shakti-23.
- An Indian Navy Dornier Maritime Patrol aircraft and Chetak helicopter is also participating.
- The Indonesian Navy will be represented by KRI Sultan Iskandar Muda, CN 235 Maritime Patrol Aircraft and AS565 Panther Helicopter.
- Exercise Samudra Shakti is aimed at enhancing interoperability, jointness and mutual cooperation between both the navies.
- The Harbour phase will comprise Cross deck visits, professional Interactions, Subject Matter Expert Exchanges, and sports fixtures.
- During the Sea Phase, weapon firing, Helicopter Operations, Anti-submarine warfare & air defence exercises and boarding operations are planned.
- Samudra Shakti -23 will showcase the high level of interoperability between the two navies and their shared commitment towards peace and stability in the region.
- Indian Navy – 26/01/1950 (Founded) – New Delhi (HQ) – Navy Day (December 4) – Admiral R. Hari Kumar (Chief of Naval Staff) – ‘May the Lord of Water be auspicious unto us’ (Motto)
Daily Current Affairs - May 16, 2023 - Consolidated
- Tungnath Temple Declared National Monument
- Unique ID now mandatory for doctors
- Army Chief Gen Manoj Pande on a 3-day visit to Egypt
- Patnaik launches ‘Special Development Councils’ in 14 more Odisha districts
- Varanasi International Airport Becomes First in India to Offer A Reading Lounge, Free Of Cost
- Foxconn to invest USD 500 million in Telangana, sets up new manufacturing cluster
- Haryana approved Delhi-Gurugram-Shahjahanpur-Neemrana-Behror-Alwar and Delhi to Panipat RRTS projects
- RBI asks banks to ensure complete move away from LIBOR by July
- ICICI Prudential Life Insurance launches new debt fund for long-term
- WPI inflation in April at (-) 0.92, lowest in 34-months
- Govt launched ‘Meri LiFE’ app to encourage young to battle climate change
- NTPC to start feasibility study for 130-MW floating solar power plant in Tripura
- PM-led panel picked Karnataka DGP Praveen Sood as next CBI Director
- Armory Square Prize
- ‘The Godfather of Poker’ Doyle Brunson died, age 89
- 2023 ISSF World Cup
- International Day of Families
- UN Global Road Safety Week
- Govt imposes import ban on 928 defence items in self-reliance push
- Samudra Shakthi 23
Do you wish to crack Banking Exams in 2023 ? - Register Now
Take your first step to your DREAM GOVERNMENT JOB
Enquire for Next Batch.